The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2012, 01:10 AM   #1
DBLAction454

Help me narrow it down.

So I've been itching to get an AR15 lately and I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to 3. They are all withing a few hundred dollars of each other around me so price is not an issue. I just want a more informed opinion. The 3 I'm considering are:

1. DDM4
2. Knights Armament SR15
3. LMT CQBMRP Defender Model 16 (non-piston)

I really like the SR-15's flip up iron sights incase my optics go down or I feel like removing them. But I've also heard that the DDM4 is tougher and I love reliability.

Any comments would be much appreciated!
Old June 17, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Pretty sure the SR15 just uses Troy sights front and rear, which can be bought separately.

Oh, no, I'm wrong. They use their own sights. But again, they can be bought ala carte.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:49 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I would buy the LMT CQBMRP Defender Model 16, the KAC would be a close second. I'm not a DD fan.

The sights that come with the LMT are possible the best irons made for a flat top.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
chadio

LMT CQB16 owner here.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. Cleaned / lubed / broken in, working the charge handle & bolt back and forth has the sound and the feel of perfection, like a well - oiled machine that was assembled by a meticulous machinist.

Not insisting that it is the best, I'm sure there are other great guns out there...(almost went with LaRue / Noveske) but I am completely satisfied with my rifle and would gladly pay a premium price for it again.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
RT

Those are all great choices. The Knights has an enhanced bolt that is supposed to last longer than normal AR bolts. You can't go wrong with any of the three and you can get KAC or Troy back up sights and put them on any of the other rifles.

KAC bolt
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...=1#post3640384

DD torture test.
https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest