The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's have a fake attack on Iron Man 3

http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-10/thea...dience-instead

These geniuses stage a fake commando like attack in Missouri. Luckily or was it - there weren't armed theatre goers.

So if you were sitting there with your LCP - what to do? It's like that surprise attack on the school under discussion elsewhere.

A bizarre but relevant version of whether you should intervene if you don't know what's up.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
cvc944

I would like to know if the theater was a gun-free zone. If so, the possibility of catastrophe was less than if it was not, but nonetheless, it is still a bad idea. Two thumbs down to Mr. Bob Wilkins for creating a scenario that could have gone real bad real quick. All this risk to 'entertain' a group of people who already paid for their entertainment.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Gary L. Griffiths

Active Shooter Response = shoot anyone with a gun!

Lucky this didn't turn into a Darwin Award.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old May 11, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
g.willikers

Doesn't it sound like this idjit theater manager, who thought this up, is due for a repeat performance, in the wee hours, at his house?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

Words fail me. (Well, no, obviously they don't, but I love saying that.)

Quite apart from the possibility of a response from armed theater patrons, to pull a stunt like that in the wake of Aurora and Boston is just... insane. ONE person has a heart attack, and the result could have been tragic without a single shot being fired.

According to this article in the Hollywood Reporter, police did respond, thinking it was an active shooter situation. If fake 911 calls are illegal, something like this ought to be, as well.

Brainless.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added link.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

From the picture I noticed that they had the readily identifiable red tips. This doesn't excuse the case fully from my viewpoint however.

There was very little thought given to the recent events at the movie theater in Colorado as well as others when they decided to do this.

Even less thought to the fact that there is an anti-gun person in every crowd and they would have a field day with it.

Not smart, but I see less harm than some Anti-gun people do. I also believe that this case is not strong enough to allow me to be concerned about how they will use it to any effect.

It will pass in a day or so, and for me I am glad of it.

This really brings up an opinion I have that irritates me.

First of all I hate the idea of new gun laws. They usually are trouble and unwarranted.

With that being said, why do we allow toys or even BB guns that don't have the orange tips, or some other form of immediately identifiable characteristic to be produced or sold to begin with.

I just can't imagine if they would have been going for the realistic effect and used one of them instead!

Not to mention, little kids have been shot with toy guns and god knows we never forget those stories.

To me it is so irresponsible for anything but a real gun to be identifiable as anything but what it is.

Sorry for the off topic rant
Old May 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7
claymore1500

Quote:
From the picture I noticed that they had the readily identifiable red tips.
How much would you like to bet that under these conditions,dark movie theater, showing an opening night superhero movie, not one person noticed those red tips.

All they saw was people with guns, and possibly their lives flashing before their eyes.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Gallstones

I expect some people would assume the red tips to be an assault feature.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Quote:
From the picture I noticed that they had the readily identifiable red tips.
How much would you like to bet that under these conditions,dark movie theater, showing an opening night superhero movie, not one person noticed those red tips.

All they saw was people with guns, and possibly their lives flashing before their eyes.
I was only referring to the fact that even if it was cautionary in their forethought at avoiding confusion, that it didn't fully excuse them for not realizing the lighting conditions made them less visible.
Quote:
This doesn't excuse the case fully from my viewpoint however.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It's astonishing that there wasn't at least one person in the audience who was armed, and who opened fire. It's a blessing it didn't happen, though, because the person who most deserved to be shot over this idiotic stunt is the theater manager. Yes, if I pay money to buy a ticket to see a film, I am there to be entertained. The entertainment is on the screen, Mate. Being subjected to a faux armed assault is not my idea of being "entertained."
Old May 11, 2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Entertainment... not.

Quote:
The entertainment is on the screen, Mate. Being subjected to a faux armed assault is not my idea of being "entertained."
Indeed.

Another consequence of this could be that for some people who were in the theater, it's now even less likely that they'll react quickly with any sort of self-protective response if they're ever confronted with a real active shooter scenario, especially in a public place like a shopping mall. "Oh, they must be actors... what fun!"
Old May 11, 2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Very lucky someone didn't get wounded or killed. Had I been there, my gun would have been drawn. Fired, I can't say, but certainly drawn.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Joe_Pike

For some reason I would like to know if the manager is a gun owner. I know I really don't want him to be.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:15 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Wow, that's an impressively poor plan. Just got back from watching Ironman 3 moments ago and I'm extremely happy to be able to say that nothing like that happened at the theater we chose to patronize...
Old May 11, 2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Something in my mind would have shouted Aurora, and I'd have gone to condition red. Even if I hadn't shot, I'd be very, very unhappy, and I've had taken steps to ensure that everyone involved lost their employment and were subject to some sort of charges.

So, is it true about the surprise ending, that Tony Stark is really the Red Skull's son?
Old May 11, 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
So, is it true about the surprise ending, that Tony Stark is really the Red Skull's son?
Actually I think the plot revolves around dozens of Iron Men running around killing hundreds of mini-me's of Red Skull. At least as near as we could tell. I mean if you could call it a plot. Which you really couldn't. But the BS "surprise ending" is there.

Oh, and no shooters or people pretending to be whatever there. I saw the article before we went and guess it may have given me pause if I had seen someone running around in body armor and a long gun. Some pause.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:45 PM   #17
9mm

This is why my carry gun is bigger than an LCP. LCP is for short range, Glock's are for longer range and faster shooting. :-S pulls out 500 lumen flashlight and Glock -- freeze! I woulda sued them for scarying me. Definitely would see white spots.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:44 PM   #18
dakota.potts

Somebody mentioned orange tips. I played airsoft when I was 14 and was very up on the laws. It's illegal to sell an airsoft gun or BB gun under a certain power without an orange tip. Anything above 600 FPS, I believe, is an airgun and treated differently. At least in Florida.

Am I the only one disappointed that after Aurora, there was not a single armed citizen in what was a presumably packed opening night?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:10 AM   #19
double bogey

Wow. I don't go to the movies without being armed. That could have ended very badly.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:32 AM   #20
MLeake

For all we know, there were armed people there, who were able to determine there was no actual threat.

Lack of shots fired does not necessarily equal lack of armed citizens.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:49 AM   #21
dakota.potts

This is true. I assume the media would have run with it if it came out somebody was carrying and these people could have been killed
Old May 12, 2013, 12:56 AM   #22
BarryLee

I was at the movie yesterday carrying my LCP and about five minutes after the movie started a guy made his way to the front exit and appeared to unlock the door. My radar immediately went on as I wondered was someone sneaking in or something worse. Well, nothing happened, but about thirty minutes later the same thing happened again and I realized it was an employee checking to assure the door was locked. I can only imagine what I might have done if these idiots showed up.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 12, 2013, 10:03 AM   #23
B.N.Real

Arrest the guy who came up with this promo for endangering the public.

As has been stated here numerous times- any concealed carry American would have been in his rights to have drawn his weapon and potentially open fire had these people pointed their 'fake' weapons at him or the assembled crowd.

On what planet does this make sense when not so long ago we had a nutjob kill so many people in a theater?

Someone needs to go to jail for this stupidity.

The vulture lawyers should have a field day on this one.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

Wow. This plan falls into my "galactically stupid" category. There are oh-so-many problems with this plan, and an equal number of ways it could have ended horrifically.

ETA: Our local theaters do not have "no guns" signs. . .
Old May 12, 2013, 10:15 AM   #25
deepcreek

Play stupid games and eventually you will win stupid prizes.