The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Sphawley

10/22 Question

Okay so I just bought one and I've never shot one before this...

After I shot it and went to refill the magazine, it appeared that there was fouling/black residue on the lip of the magazine. Is this normal? after a half hour of shooting and refilling the magazine my fingers were black...this just doesnt seem right.

Is something wrong? or is this normal??
Old October 3, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Pretty normal in my experience.

It depends largely on the ammo you're using. Some will produce more residue and some will produce less. I've found my 10/22 mags to be especially dirty when using ammo that has a lot of waxy lube on the bullets.
Old October 4, 2012, 01:07 AM   #3
mySig229

Common...+1 on ammo use. Just spend a little more on ammo.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:07 AM   #4
4runnerman

Very common. Don't worry about it just keep shooting. I have 2 of them and have well over 20,000 rounds down them. Short ,little accurate suckers for sure. To me. I have shot every brand of ammo down them and the only one they did not like was that cheap Wolf junk. Other than that they eat everything
Old October 4, 2012, 05:16 AM   #5
mukwah

Common with the 10/22 as the ejection is done in rapid order directly above the mag lips as the action picks up another round in the cycle prosess.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Fishbed77

You also have to keep in mind that the feed ramp of the 10/22 is built onto the magazine. The feed ramp will always get dirty in any semiautomatic firearm.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Woody55

I agree with the above comments. Clean the lip of the magazines.
Old October 4, 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Pahoo

Bulk-Ammo

As others have replied, this is common and don't suspect a problem. I'm guessing that you were using one of the Bulk-Ammo available. Yesterday I helped a buddy with a Bulk-Ammo problem sad to say that it was Winchester ammo. To date, I have seen problems with Remington, Federal and now, Winchester. Most problems were due to dirty ammo. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 4, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Sphawley

Im not opposed to getting my fingers dirty but does anyone here take a towel and wipe down the feed ramp after you shoot before you reload the magazine?
Old October 4, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Mayor Al

I wipe them down after a day's shooting, if they need it. If the number of times you have to reload those 10 round factory mags bothers you, find some of the 25 or 40 rounders and you won't notice the residue as often ...(grin).

One of my 10-22's
Old October 8, 2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Hicksville Kid

Yes, you will get dirty fingers loading 10/22 mags. I carry Baby Wipes (unscented) in my range bag. Good for all sorts of things. Like if you want to eat a sandwich at the range.