The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 1, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
CowTowner

Sen. Feinstein Gets Gun Trace Data

Got this in my weekly TSRA update email.
According to the story, some of the fine folks at the DOJ leaked trace data illegally the the Senator from California. She then placed it into the record at the Senate Judiciary Hearing last month.
The Examiner.com's story is here:
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ahrt-amendment

According to the article, no one opposed the introduction of this data into the record. Never mind the fact that she shouldn't have it to begin with.

Now some might think I'm ready for a new foil hat, but this looks like F&F damage control to me.
Put into the public domain trace data that points to the dealers working with ATF/FBI/DOJ to deflect further criticism perhaps?

And what other havoc could this cause?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 1, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2
C0untZer0

One simple thing that I notice about this ^ is that the activity has gone up the chain, closer to the White House.

In the beginning it seemed it was within ATF - at the local level, and we wondered how high up it went within ATF.

Then we found there was culbability at the highest level(s), and we wondered if it extended to DOJ.

Then we found out DOJ was involved and we wondered "how high does it go?"

The activity is now centered within DOJ...

Again I have the feeling, the federal government is being used against the citizens of the United States. Since when did the DOJ's mission allow illegally leaking information and fueling propoganda to further a political agenda?

When law enforcement agencies begin breaking the law to accomplish their goals, something is seriously seriously wrong.
Old December 1, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

You want to see a shocking abuse of gun trace data in violation of the Tiarht Amendment?

Look at the Washington Post story naming which gun shops had the most guns traced to them from Mexico. The Post doesn't say how it obtained that information, which could only come from the ATF. However, the Tiarht Amendment prevents the ATF from legally sharing that information with the Washington Post. So either the Post obtained the info illegally from the ATF or the ATF illegally leaked the info to the Post.

Not suprisingly, the gun shops being used by ATF for Fast and Furious were number 1 and number 2 on that list. And several Houston-area gun stores being used by ATF were also on the list (Carter's Country). So at the same time ATF was directing these FFLs to sell semi-automatic rifles to known straw purchasers, they were also illegally leaking the names of these FFLs to the Washington Post as sources of crime guns.

And then two days after the Washington Post does their story, they release this proposed regulation for multiple long gun sales reporting.

I'm curious whether the figures Sen. Feinstein entered into the record reflect similar chicanery?
Old December 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #4
TXAZ

Does anyone know how to retrieve the trace docs Feinstein put in the record? I seem to go in circles at the Congressional records website

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 3, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
MTT TL

Quote:
The Post doesn't say how it obtained that information, which could only come from the ATF. However, the Tiarht Amendment prevents the ATF from legally sharing that information with the Washington Post.
Perhaps it was not trace information but merely inventory records from ATF stocks? You know from when they sold the guns to narco-terrorists, drug dealers and assassins.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:03 AM   #6
alloy

And some wonder why HR822 might be a bad idea. Or a good idea on it's face... but with uncontrollable possibilities.

It's because of the Feinsteins of the world.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Nickel Plated

Quote:
So at the same time ATF was directing these FFLs to sell semi-automatic rifles to known straw purchasers, they were also illegally leaking the names of these FFLs to the Washington Post as sources of crime guns.
And that's what you get for working with the ATF. You try to help them out with their "sting" operation, and they turn around and release this kind of info which I'm sure is not very good for the reputation of your business.

FFLs have the right to refuse a sale even if ATF clears it. So why didn't they? If some guy came in trying to buy 50 guns, it's pretty obvious something's up. And when ATF clears the sale and just tells me to go ahead I would probably be thinking "Yea, how about I don't. Whatever ATF is up to they can do it on their own. I want no part of this."