The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
roy reali

Hits or Near Hits

I started another thread here about the dangers of dove hunting. If you look at hunting from a statistical sense, it is quite a safe sport. However, accidents do happen and I doubt that they all get reported. I am sure that near hits are not reported.

Here is the question for this thread.

How many of you have been hit by flying projectiles while hunting? How many of you have been injured? How many of you have had close calls, a bullet fly close enough to your head that you could hear it?

I have been peppered several time by birdshot. I have been pheasant hunting when I have heard shot hit the back of my hunting vest. Thankfully, the range and thickness of my garments prevented any injuries. I have never been injured by gunfire while hunting.
Old September 1, 2010, 06:48 AM   #2
dawico

I have never been injured while hunting either. I have had shot rain down on me from above, but nothing more serious than that.

I have had ricochets hit me while plinking. On a side note, don't shoot fixed steel targets from short distances, especially with a rifle.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

While duck hunting with my brother, We were in a canoe behind a thin line of trees when we saw another canoe come around the bend of the river. They went right into his decoy spread and started shooting his decoys. We got hit with a couple of pellets, nothing to cause personal injury to us (His spread was another matter!).

Not Sport Hunting, but still firearms related:

I was hit with a ricochet while on active duty. Another few inches to the right and I would have been singing in a much higher tone of voice.

Was watching some cowboy shooting and the ricochets from the steel targets kept flying into the crowd of spectators.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

<------ Has been shot at, for unknown reasons.
<------ Has had people doing "target practice" over his head, because he "was in the gully".
<------ Has been hit by more bird shot, rifle projectiles, and pistol projectiles than he can remember. (Yes, some caused injuries. With one of the rifle bullets, I lost feeling in my arm for almost a day, and there was some nice bleeding. -ricochet)

My little brother took an arrow to the top of the head (some idiot launched it into the air).

Crankylove keeps a pristine 123 grain .310" FMJ on his reloading bench. It was fired at him. He can explain further.
Old September 1, 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
bshefa

I have been peppered from distance several times and rained down on countless times. Only once did it sting, but no significant injuries.
I have seen friends who were peppered bad enough to leave marks but never break skin. (They hollered quite a bit though!)
Old September 1, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6
BIG P

Been peppered on the bird field
Took a 25auto round to the elbow, came out of a mans pocket on the dance floor in Atlanta does that count
Old September 1, 2010, 11:25 PM   #7
jimbob86

I have had .....

...... bullet fragments hit me and draw blood.... both at an indoor range and at a quarry.....
Old September 2, 2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Ironwood

I've had shot rain down on the house I lived in. There was a large mill pond across the highway from the house.

Many years ago while squirrel hunting, I was shaking vines for a friend of mine, shot rained down on me from a dud 12 gauge handload of my firend's.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:22 AM   #9
rickyrick

In the sporting area, I too have had bullets strike nearby for unknown reasons.

have been hit by ricochet.

have had bird shot bounce back and get me...stings the lip somewhat.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've been rained on by birdshot and had deer slugs go through the trees close enough to hear the "whistle", not really whistle, more like vvvvVVVVVvvvvv.... anyway, my dad had a guy hunting the neighboring land put 3 or 4 slugs into the base of the tree he was sitting in.
Old September 2, 2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

"Peppered" on the dove fields occasionally, but no injuries.

Hit once by a ricochet while plinking as a kid (had to think fast to explain that one), some buddies shot a bush I was lying beside to pieces with .22's (that was a close one) thinking it was a panther (don't ask), doing some "exploring", ...err trespassing as a kid rifle bullet smacks into a tree about five feet over my head.
Old September 2, 2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Gbro

'Killa,
Quote:
anyway, my dad had a guy hunting the neighboring land put 3 or 4 slugs into the base of the tree he was sitting in.
That sounds like an intentional incident, or was this a target shooting situation without a backstop of dirt?

Was hunting with a friend that got to rain shot on his own house(he gets shot in his rain gutters every year) . The point we were hunting is close enough that it would be illegal to discharge a firearm if his home was a barn w/livestock, but ok to shoot from when its only humans
Old September 2, 2010, 06:05 PM   #13
rickyrick

peetzakilla,

since I now have the body shape that would give me the sillohette of a large pigeon, I avoid sitting in trees