The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 8, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1
1462danny

Heym 30.06 rifle

I was hoping some out there could help with the model type of my rifle. The gun was givin to me by my grandfather who I belive purchased the gun when he still lived in Germany. The gun is a FR.WILH.HEYM. I contacted heym but they said the gun was to old and they could not indetify it. I read on some other sites that heym made some rifles for mauser back in the day, maybe this could be one of them? I attached some pictures which I hope will help, If you need any other info let me know and I will post.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.jpg (233.0 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.jpg (255.3 KB, 602 views)
Old November 8, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Tom2

I have contacted them before, and they really seem to know nothing about anything before maybe the mid 50's which they consider their modern era? Probably like all the others, their prewar info is obliterated. Most likely thing would be to see if you could find period advertising, maybe. But count yourself lucky having a Heym. Have you priced their current offerings?!
Old November 8, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3
oneounceload

Heym makes very high quality rifles, especially in the double category.

http://www.heymusa.com/index.htm

There is a contact listed if you haven't tried this one.......

If it is working, should be a great hunting rifle
Old November 9, 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

The proof mark is a West German Nitro proof (eagle over N) from Munich (the middle stamp) dated September 1960.
Old November 9, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Tom2

Well I am astounded at that late date of production, they have no data at the manufacturer. Maybe you could look in something like an early 60's Gun Digest or something that has a gun catalog in the back and see if they list any Heym offerings. That is, if they were being imported at that time. If not, then you are gonna have to learn to speak German and post on some European gun websites, I suppose.
Old November 9, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6
1462danny

Thanks for the feed back. I did try the one link to heym usa but they just sent me to the contact link from the german web site. My grandfather used the gun for moose hunting and I have been using it for the same type of hunting. The gun is mint and works just fine, however the scope that's on it is the original that he mounted(parker hale mounts with a ziess scope). I wanted to upgrade the scope and this is where all the problems started. I first just purchased a new scope and mounted to the existing rings and though I was good to go. I found out the hard way the old europen standard for scopes was 26mm tube. Apparently you can't put a scope with a 1" tube in that type of mount(if you don't belive me I have a scare over top my right eye to prove it). So then I looked at what type of mount I would need and thats why I needed the model number. After serching the internet and a couple of different forums the dovetail mount on the gun looks very similar to the dovetail mount found on a CZ 550. I don't know if I should just by the mounts and try them. I'm attaching a photo of the mount, if anyone has any feed back I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.jpg (239.2 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0272.jpg (233.9 KB, 260 views)
Old November 9, 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

26 mm IS 1", but the European standard is 30 mm. You can get scopes in both 1" and 30 mm tubes, in all price ranges, just measure your existing rings.
As for upgrading a Zeiss scope, what are you going for, Leica?
Old November 9, 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
1462danny

The ziess scope if from 1960 somthing, I realize these are a very good scope but the scope itself has seen better days. I showed the scope to a local gun smith and he was the one that told me the tube was 26mm (apparently it was common in europe back in the 60's). By the way the gunsmith I showed the scope to couldn't help with a model number.
Old November 10, 2009, 03:50 PM   #9
PetahW

Your rifle is obviously a commercial version of the military Mauser 98 action (left receiver wall thumb notch), as done by Heym, with integral receiver scope mount dovetails, etc.
I have a similar version, done in England by Parker-Hale.

Heym most likely didn't apply any sort of model designation to your rifle, other than "Sporting Rifle", because I doubt they made more than the single type of boltgun in the 60's - being predominately a break-open action gun maker.

IIRC, 1" = 20mm or 22mm. Commercially-made spacers are available that will allow you to install a 1" scope in the 26mm rings - but it's probably easier/cheaper to just make two pair, an upper/lower for each ring.

In the mid-1970's, I owned a new Mauser 3000, however - which was marked/made by Heym - so the company's evidently had close ties to the Mauser firm for a long time, even if only for leasing Mauser's design(s).

Heym was founded in Suhl, Germany by Friedrich Wilhelm Heym in July 1865.
The company expanded producing drillings, shotguns, and over and under rifle-shotgun combinations.
Russia was their most important export market until 1914.

In 1912, Adolf Heym assumed management of the company, and began shifting the export market from Russia to the USA.
August Heym assumed management of the company in 1920, and began production of Anson & Deeley Drillings, double rifle drillings, drillings with three triggers, double rifles, and rifle shotgun combination guns.

Following World War II in 1945, Heym made a new start in the West Germany.
The factory moved to Ostheim in the Rhön/ Lower Franconia, building cuckoo clocks, slide rules, and spinning wheels, among various other products.

Heym built a new factory in Münnerstadt/ Lower Franconia, Germany in 1952 and transferred manufacturing to this site.
Rolf Heym took over management of the company in 1963 until his death in 1972.

Some Products:
Safety rifle/shotgun Mod. 22F
Repeating rifle, Mod. SR 10
Repeating rifle, Mod. SR 40 short action
Mod. Mauser 3000
Repeating rifle SR 20
Over and under rifle Mod. 55
Side lock drilling Mod. 37
Block action rifle (HEYM/RUGER) HR 30 / 38
Double rifle(s), Mod. 80 / 88

Last edited by PetahW; November 10, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old November 10, 2009, 05:51 PM   #10
mapsjanhere

one inch = 25.4 mm
Old November 10, 2009, 07:07 PM   #11
1462danny

Thanks again for the feed back, I think I will go with what you recommend and just get some mounts made for the gun. It might be a little costly but I think the gun is worth it. Thanks again for all the feed back, I think I now know more about this gun then the rest of my firearms.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Lentini

Location: Almere, the Netherlands, Europe (email [email protected])
Hello,

Because i bought myself an secondhand Heym 8x57IS i have searced the internet and found this post. I'm living in the Netherlands and got a book with all factory stamps. If you can make a close-up of the gun with all the small marks, maybe i can tell you more about the gun.
2637706_2_4b67efbc612bc.jpg

gr Frank
Old April 29, 2010, 08:14 PM   #13
publius

That rifle is plain cool. what would be really neat is if Zeiss would rebuild that scope. I would definitely ask them.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:42 AM   #14
Smirre

Fr.Wilh.Heym

Hi there.

i got this .243 rifle from my mother-in-law.
i would like to know if it is indeed a FR.Wilh.Heym.
i also cant find any history on this rifle. LENTINI, please check the markings.

it has the K98 bolt action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010781.JPG (30.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg P1010783.JPG (55.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P1010788.JPG (62.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Smirre; October 2, 2012 at 07:04 AM.