The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 1, 2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Blondie.357

Totally took apart my S&W and have problems

It's a 686
I wanted to thoroughly clean my gun and figured out myself "because I didn't have a manual" how to take out the hammer, trigger, trigger spring etc...

Every single little piece in there I took out, even the firing pin and the little spring in there.

After hours of trying to put it all back to together, I manged it but there was this one spring that I had no idea where it came from.

The spring is shaped different than every other spring in the gun.

There is the spring itself, which is quite small "its like 2 twirls" and it has 2 straight pieces sticking out on 2 opposing sides. 1 is longer than the other.

I think I may know where it goes, but I don't even know the name of the part.

It's the piece that physically touches and turns the cylinder through a slot when you pull the trigger. It has a little knob on it that the spring seems to fit into, but I'm only guessing it goes there.

Is that the right place at least? If it is, I still don't know how to properly put it in but at least I know it goes there.

Btw, when I depress the trigger in my gun now the cylinder doesn't turn.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Diamond LawDawg

horse is gone

you don't have to close the barn door...Ive' golt saa colts that I don't take apart completely to clean and I shoot 200 rds @ wk thru 6 of them...take it to a qualified gunsmith and confess your SIN
Old January 1, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Blondie.357

Yeah I'm screwed, this gun will never fire again unless I get help.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4
wy child

can get a parts breakdown schematic for your 686 here

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=10083
Old January 1, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie.357
It's the piece that physically touches and turns the cylinder through a slot when you pull the trigger.
That would be the "hand".

All the Hand Ejectors I've been inside so far (I'm still pretty much a newb with the sideplate off) have been 5-screw guns, and they don't have any springs that fit that description...
Old January 1, 2010, 03:56 PM   #6
lomaxanderson

the little spring goes in the trigger and loads the arm so it turns the cylinder...see the hole with a slot next to it ...pm me if you need it is tricky but not hard...

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old January 1, 2010, 03:58 PM   #7
jhenry

The coil spring with the 2 arms puts tension on the hand, and can be a little frustrasting if you have never messed with disassembly to that degree. Your best bet is to have a gunsmith reassemble it. Absent that, you may want to search youtube for a video. The easiest thing really is to pull the hammer/hand assembly from another Smith and look at it real close. It will become obvious at that point. I remember doing exactly that many years ago.

It's all part of the learning curve.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
lomaxanderson

if the spring is loose did you have a pin left over ? real small but I had two 686 apart till the wee hours ...I just did all this ...about 6 times

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old January 1, 2010, 04:55 PM   #9
earlthegoat2

Here is a link to a step by step disassembly and reassembly.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027

May or may not help. Still, it is a valuable educational tool.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Blondie.357

Quote:
the little spring goes in the trigger and loads the arm so it turns the cylinder...see the hole with a slot next to it ...pm me if you need it is tricky but not hard...
You're right! Thats why the cylinder wasn't turning.

I knew it had something to do with the arm, I just had it in the total wrong place.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Blondie.357

Quote:
The coil spring with the 2 arms puts tension on the hand, and can be a little frustrasting if you have never messed with disassembly to that degree. Your best bet is to have a gunsmith reassemble it. Absent that, you may want to search youtube for a video. The easiest thing really is to pull the hammer/hand assembly from another Smith and look at it real close. It will become obvious at that point. I remember doing exactly that many years ago.

It's all part of the learning curve.
I did take it to a smith, in fact I just got back. I have to wait a couple days but in the process he is tuning it up for me too so its all good.

I tried youtube for this and although there are lots of gun videos, there was nothing that I could find to show how to totally disassemble and assemble a smith and wesson revolver, inards and everything.

I wish I had another Smith to use as an instruction manual. Believe me, I would of if I did.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:07 PM   #12
lomaxanderson

wilson spring kit......14# trigger return...sweet

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old January 1, 2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Blondie.357

Quote:
if the spring is loose did you have a pin left over ? real small but I had two 686 apart till the wee hours ...I just did all this ...about 6 times
There were 3 pins that I remember, 2 of them were really small and I knew where they went.

In fact thats another story right there.

The bolt plunger pin... Oh my god that was a NIGHTMARE. I seriously spent like 45 minutes just trying to get the damn bolt in, the pin and that tiny spring were ******* me off.

That little pin went flying so many times, I can't believe I didn't lose it. Once it went half way across the room and I was thinking... thats it, I'll never see that pin again. Then just by luck, I saw it out the corner of my eye.

Big sigh of relief right there.

Then I finally got the bolt in, after practially banging on the darn thing to force it in. I was a bit worried that I may have damaged it but the I didn't, there were no scratches or dents in the steel.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Blondie.357

Quote:
Here is a link to a step by step disassembly and reassembly.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027

May or may not help. Still, it is a valuable educational tool.
That link would be awesome if I could see the images. I don't know why I can't and it sucks because that would of helped me greatly.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:58 PM   #15
stiffnecked

You can see the images if you sign up and login.