The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 26, 2012, 08:23 AM   #1
jpope

M1 Carbine questions

Hello,

I have a M1 carbine that was my fathers and was curious to learn more about it. I think the barrel was resurface because I was told you should see a serial # on the barrel. Is this correct? I can see the numbers 4-44 and it was made by Inland. I guess that would be the Manufacture date April 1944.

I can see what appears to be the serial # below (the factory sight appears to be missing and someone has installed a non-standard sight on the gun) the sight. The first 3 numbers I see are 517 and the 2 numbers on the other side are 63 so it would be 517?63. I guess this would be the 517,?63 gun made is this correct?

The screw (lack of a better word. It appears damaged slightly) that holds the swivel stock to the wood portion of the gun and the peep sight I would like to see if I could replace it with a factory part. Is this possible? If so any links to where I can buy it.

My brother-in-law had it looked at by a gunsmith and offered 1800.00 for it. Does that seem correct?

I have uploaded some pictures

Thanks for any help!
Old June 26, 2012, 08:31 AM   #2
jpope

Sorry, I put this question in the wrong section. The photos are in a zip file. Just right click the icon to download them.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
velocette

Jpope,
You can go here: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

For any & all information needed on the M1 carbine. Much knowledge and experience there.
Old June 26, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
dogrunner

That barrel marking is indeed the mfg date. The serial number on your rifle is probably partly obscured by the rear sight due to a depot rebuild/update. The actual MFG of the receiver is as you state Inland Div. of General Motors corp.

Far as your serial # goes I have 5218090, which is NFA registered as an M/2 but marked M/1, mine was an original M1A1. Is your stock a folding arrangement with a pistol grip..........if so it is possibly an M1A1 as well........ My barrel is an Underwood and bears the date of 3/44. Far as your after market sight goes...pic's would help a lot. Barrels were not serialized during U.S. Govt. production..........course it could have been done if it was acquired by a foreign govt. Don't know about the offer you mention........seems way high to me for a fairly common carbine, especially for one that's been at least partially sporterized.

May I suggest that you go to CMP's website. You will find the answer to every question you might have there from some really knowlegable folks.

Last edited by dogrunner; June 26, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
jpope

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Takes for he help. The stock does fold.

Pictures uploaded
Old June 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
jpope

Old June 26, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
jpope

Old June 26, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
jpope

Thanks velocette

As you suggested here is my post with pictures

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=79688
Old June 27, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
COSteve

It's almost certainly an Arsenal rebuild like almost all carbines. The front barrel markings are correct. The rear sight is a commercial peep site, not Mil Spec but hard to tell much more from the limited pictures.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:21 AM   #10
TNT

Looks like a M2 bolt. I am by no means a historian on carbines but I do believe that the M1s have a flat bolt and the M2s had a round bolt. The only reason I know that is because mine broke and my dad had a M2 bolt, that we replaced it with. Its much stronger that the M1 bolts that were known for breaking. Nice rifle though, I always like Paratrooper carbines
Old June 28, 2012, 09:50 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The round bolt is not really an M2 bolt; they were used on M2's but were made standard because the flat bolts did break, as you know. Round bolts were also issued to armorers for replacements, so they can appear on any carbine.

That M1A1 stock appears to be original or at least not a repro. There are some serial number ranges for folding stocks, but they don't mean much. Folding stocks were put on at the factory as instructed by the military, probably as airborne divisions were being formed.

Contrary to some belief, few airborne troopers actually were issued M1A1 carbines; most carried the regular M1 (Garand) rifle. Folding stock carbines were issued to those who in a regular infantry unit would be issued carbines, specifically, company grade officers, MP's, and some support troops.

Jim