The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
BLS700

I've never hunted coyote before...advice please

My cousin bought a camp in the mountains where apparently there is a large coyote population. I've noticed that in western PA in general there are ALOT more coyote than there used to be. So he asked me if I would want to go coyote hunting with him. So here's the problem. I've never hunted coyote before. I'm starting to read up on it and get advice from those who have. My problem I think will be that the smallest caliber rifle I own is a Remington 700 in .308 with a 4-14x leupold VXIII on it. From what I've gathered that would be too much gun for hunting coyote in the woods. I also own a Remington 870 (like most people it seems). Is the .308 too big? If I should use the shotgun what ammo would you recommend? Or do I need to search out a smaller gun such as a 22-250 or .223? Any additional advice would be appreciated also. Thanks
Old October 16, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
taylorce1

If you are not trying to save the hides then there is nothing wrong with your choice of firearms. All that really matters is that you kill them and the .308 will do the job as well as any other rifle. If you want to save the hides then use your 870 pump with some #4 shot and call them in close, get an extra full choke or turkey choke for your shotty.

If you really want to hunt them with a rifle go out and buy a Savage package deal in .223 Rem. That would probably be the most affordable way to go for a .223 Rem. No need for a heavy barrel varmint rig for coyote hunting especially if you are going to do a lot of walking on the property.
Old October 16, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
BLS700

Thanks for the reply. There will most likely be quite a bit of walking. Also, the area that he has his camp has fairly thick forests so the likely hood of a long range shot is pretty unlikely so calling them in close will probably be my only real option. I would prefer to keep the hide but I will have to learn how to skin them properly but that'll have to be another thread.
Old October 16, 2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Daryl

Ditto what taylorce1 said.

For close cover calling, the 870 is likely the easiest to kill with. Use #4 buckshot if you can find it. It'll also be easier on the hides than the .308 if you want to save them.

If you want to invest in a new rifle, the .223 is likely the best bet. I use a .17 Remington, but I handload.

Daryl
Old October 16, 2008, 01:51 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One thing to try if you can get up there often is to do some callin' without tryin' to hunt them. Just have a gun for protection of course.
You will learn much to play a few calls and listen and watch the response. Over calling is a sure way to not get a yote.
Also callin' and firing a shot with a miss is a sure way to train them not to come to fake calls.
It is a great way to hang out and enjoy a night in the woods while also learning a ton of info on various predators...
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 09:53 AM   #6
jdscholer

Since it sounds like your area is fairly thick and close-up cover, the 870 will work great. I agree on #4 buck, and have killed them out to 60+ yards with the stuff. We also found that we trippled our success when we started wearing headnets to hide our faces. Don't forget that from the first squeal you make with your call, the coyote knows almost exactly where you are, and where to look to spot ya. From that time, don't move, and as was said, don't over-call. Have a ball, there is nothing more fun in my book. jd
Old October 17, 2008, 10:46 AM   #7
BLS700

thanks jdscholer you actually hit my next question i was about to ask. Do I need to be covered in camo so no skin at all is showing? My 870 is black with a black synthetic stock. Will that give anything away if they catch a glimpse of it? Also, what about scent? What has worked well for you? Sorry about the novice questions. Coyote hunting is really just becoming an issue in this area so I don't know anyone real experienced at it.
Old October 17, 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Daryl

Quote:
thanks jdscholer you actually hit my next question i was about to ask. Do I need to be covered in camo so no skin at all is showing? My 870 is black with a black synthetic stock. Will that give anything away if they catch a glimpse of it? Also, what about scent? What has worked well for you? Sorry about the novice questions. Coyote hunting is really just becoming an issue in this area so I don't know anyone real experienced at it.
I usually camo up completely, except for gloves (mostly because I don't shoot with gloves on, and removing them causes unnecessary movement).

The 870 will work fine as is.

Cover scents don't work to fool a coyote. They'll smell you anyway. When you set up to call, try to have an open area downwind where you can shoot. That way you might get a shot before they smell you. It it's thick, I usually set one shooter to cover the area downwind of the caller.

Always remember that if you set up to kill the smart ones, you'll get the uneducated ones, too.
Old October 17, 2008, 11:00 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know if the actual camo is so important as is breakin' up the human shapes and your eyes they really look for.
A boony hat with sticks in the shell loops (or what ever they are for) is a good start. Some mud and dust on your face will also help. But man if you make eye contact... they will wink their brown eye at you real fast!
I have not hunted them much... just called for fun. But I see most out hog hunting with dogs. I have had them just stand there lookin' from 30 yards but make eye contact and they bolt!
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 11:16 AM   #10
jdscholer

Your shotgun will be fine as long as ya keep it down untill it's required. Upper body camo is nice, but the most important thing is covering the shiny beacon of your face and outline of your head. I like a headnet with eye holes, and have cut a mouth hole to stick my mouth call in. It can be hard to find one you're comfortable with, but believe me it's worth it. I wear a camo hat with brim to shade my eyes, and further break up my human shape, and a glove on my calling hand.
The more scent free you are, the better, but there is no substitute for no wind or the right wind. Coyotes make their living with their nose, and you will not fool them in that department.
Young dogs will often run right in, and sometimes right into your lap in close cover. Older, more savy dogs will pin-point ya with their ears and circle to get your scent. They can be tough. I have seen coyotes swap directions in mid-air when they came to the trail where I had walked in.
I could talk about this stuff all day, so be careful about gettin me started. jd
Old October 17, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When I have permission to hunt them on the properties I hog hunt I will be pickin' yer brain for everything from camo to calls and rifle specifics too. I am in no way claiming to be 'yote hunter. I have taken a few that presented them selves and likely were young or so stupid they needed culled any way. Like I said I have had most contact incidentally. As a lover of all things of the woods i have goofed around with a few mp3 sounds.
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 11:46 AM   #12
centershot

Hogdogs,
Check out the link below, LOTS of good info there!

http://www.geocities.com/Varmint_Al/ahunt.htm

Good shootin'!

centershot
Old October 17, 2008, 12:00 PM   #13
jdscholer

Let me tell ya, it's been awhile since I was avid, or should I say rabid about it. There is a lot of new stuff and ideas out there that I haven't tried since I was doing a lot of calling. I've never done electronic, or tried the howling calls that they have now, but want to. I've been in on the killing of problbly a hundred or so coyotes by calling them. Also trapped a few, but that got to be more like work than fun. Coyotes are truely beloved to me, and their aura isn't quite the same when they are caught in your trap waiting for the inevatable. This is NOT an anti-trapping statement or sentiment, and I'll probably trap more berfore I cross over. It's just not my prefered meathod. jd
Old October 17, 2008, 12:13 PM   #14
jdscholer

Hey centershot, I took a look at the website you posted and, whew, it looks like I'll be spending a few hours there. Thanx. jd
Old October 17, 2008, 12:42 PM   #15
BLS700

Well since we opened the proverbial can of worms on the calls issue I have another question. My cousin will be hunting with me. I was told that one person should be farther back (approximately 50 yards) and that its better if they are in a tree stand. This seems like a dead give away to me. Also, if one person is farther up which person would be calling them in. If this is off base, and it very well may be, please correct me.
Old October 17, 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
jdscholer

That technique might be good if it seems that you're calling dogs but just not seeing them. It always seemed to us that the more messing around we did at our stand location, the more likely we were to jinx ourselves. We usually do best by walking directly to our spot, into the breeze if there is one, exposing ourselves as little as possible to the area we expect to call them from. We sit down, back to back, settle in for a minute or so to become attuned to our spot, and begin calling. Leaning against each other is comfortable, and two people can see 360 degrees with very little movement. There is usually a direction where Wiley will come from, and we try to have the caller facing away from it. You can usually discount the area that you walked in from, but not always.
After you have been successful on a few stands, every call you make will be exciting and hopeful. Until then well---pay your dues and be patient. jd
Old October 18, 2008, 12:35 AM   #17
nra_guns_winner

If no one has said it already, I say you have gotten some great advise. If its legal too hunt then 24/7 in that state than make sure you also try that. I've had great fun when some snow cover on the ground and a big moon make it to where a light is not even needed. At the time I was just using a ruger 10/22 with a 3-9 and had plenty of light. Enjoy your hunting, and good luck. Also my experience is that coyotes will come in quicker and closer than a bobcat, so keep a look out for more than one, you just never know.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:58 AM   #18
Water-Man

Just go out and get yourself a .22 LR rifle. That's all you need with the proper ammo.
Old October 18, 2008, 12:23 PM   #19
BLS700

Nothing beats knowledge from experience

I absolutely agree I'm learning a ton about what to do and not to do. Getting advice from experienced coyote hunters on this forum beats asking the guys around here who may have done it once or twice. I'm getting pretty excited about the whole process now. I'm going to go get a call so I can start practicing this weekend. Any reccomendations on ones that have worked for you all? Also, I think I would prefer your suggested method of sitting back to back jdscholer since I could see my cousin and I making too much of a rucus any other way.
Old October 18, 2008, 12:59 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know the electronic calls work well. A forum buddy of mine from another forum has made his own E-caller units.
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=20626
Here is his assembly instructions and parts list.
He has had as much or more success with this unit than the commercially available high dollar machines.
Brent
Old October 18, 2008, 01:50 PM   #21
jdscholer

I guess my favorite call is an old Johnny Stewart PC-3. It Has a bite-reed attached to the trumpet that makes it easy to change pitch to about anything you want. For my area, I usually try to sound like a jack rabbit that has just had his back snapped, and is being peeled alive.
I think that most calls have the ability to imitate any rabbit, bleating fawns, coyote pups etc.. I don't think the hungry coyote much cares. If it sounds like something he can whip or take away from someone else, he's gonna come investigate. I think for most coyotes, it's more important where you sit, how you get there, and having coyotes within hearing distance than how you sound.
There may be older, wiser coyotes that are darn near uncallable by the usual sounds. Maybe they could be fooled by some of the newer techniques that I haven't tried. jd