The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2002, 02:48 PM   #1
BigG

Time to Register Another Pet Peeve...

I've read quite a number of threads in the last week of so about "Such and Such Brand Gun goes Kaboom!

Without exception, when I've read the thread there is reloaded ammunition involved. I cannot recall one time when the ammo was factory.

So my peeve is, why do we tar and feather a gun brand when the fault is probably a double charge of Bullseye? Shouldn't the thread be entitled "Bonehead makes some deadly reloads" or something like that?

Am I off base here?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 16, 2002, 03:08 PM   #2
kdubya

Nope, you right on, BigG

Sorta like plane accidents - 99% caused by pilot error.
Old October 16, 2002, 03:10 PM   #3
benewton

It's done because most won't admit to "not obeying the rules", which is the only reason one should have an accident.

On the other hand, I strongly believe that everybody cuts corners, intentionally or not, and so, makes mistakes.

I think those mistakes, if unique, should be shared, as at least some of us learn from the experiences of others, good or bad.
Old October 16, 2002, 04:09 PM   #4
sleeping dog

Okay, time for a "stupid factory ammo trick".

I grabbed the SKS's, threw some Barnaul or Wolf ammo into the box, headed for the range.

Threw the first round into the mag, sent the bolt flying forward, took careful aim, squeezed, then "POOF", no recoil no big noise, smoke pouring out of all the receiver openings.

I pulled the bolt back, and the "brass" (steel) was split, shredded, blackened. I field stripped it, the bore was clear, nothing wrong.

So I got the other SKS, loaded it, same result, smoke coming out of the mag, bolt, everywhere. And the case was split.

Finally looked at the bullets. Stupid Russian .223. No harm done, but now I double check the ammo. Pilot error, indeed!

Fortunately, I also had some actual 7.62x39 in the box, so the rest of the shooting was just fine.

Regards.
Old October 16, 2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Cee-Zed

Knock wood; nothing really stupid so far. Little things that could have gone badly:

1) I spilled some 700X one day. Thought I had it all cleaned up well enough. I was loading some Unique later in the day, and knocked a case over. I basically swept the powder back in the 9mm case. (I use old boxes, and I usually label them, even if not exactly textbook fashion.) I shot that box later in the week, and one of the rounds was REALLY high in pressure (but not dangerously so). As far as I can tell, it must have been a cocktail of 700X and Unique...

2) Despite everyone telling me that I should use a different expander with swaged lead bullets in 9mm (or not even try swaged in the first place), I went ahead with the RCBS expander (it doesn't help that this is really for .38/.357 to begin with). I had always had trouble with these. One day I racked the slide and FTF. Had to eject the round. Tried again. Had to eject the round as it just WOULD NOT chamber. I finally decided to field strip the gun. There was a swaged bullet that had deformed and stuck in the throat. Looked on the ground, and sure enough there was an empty primed case there (with just a whisper of powder).

Both of these could have gone badly. I am glad that I try to be careful. I would hate to get too cocky. I like my guns and my extremities.
Old October 16, 2002, 10:57 PM   #6
kdubya

Yup, You're right, Sleeping Dog -

Work at a pretty large gunrange and see a passle of that cheap, ferrin' stuff get used. The Wolf brand steel cased ammo seems the worst of the lot - primers missing, in backwards, in sideways, duds, bullets lodged in barrels because of lack of propellent other than primer, bullets seated upside down - you name it and we've seen it!

Every once in a great while, someone will bring us a domestic brand of ammo to dispose that had some defect or another, but it is extremely rare.

Guess you're in that 1% of airplane accidents, eh?
Old October 17, 2002, 07:44 AM   #7
BigG

I agree we could all be more careful but everybody slips up now and then.

Still, I've held off on getting a progressive reloader for years just because I just don't want to risk a double charge of pistol powder.

So it takes me longer. I still have all my guns and no Kabooms to date.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC