The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 1, 2009, 01:54 PM   #26
yakfish

I signed up myself, my wife and my daughter last week and have not receive any kind of confirmation. has any one heard back from them at all?
Old April 1, 2009, 01:57 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am 2 weeks into the wait nearly and no word here in the swamp...
Brent
Old April 3, 2009, 07:55 AM   #28
markr

You guys are way to impatient. And to some of the other people, $35 gets you a year, not a month.

Within a couple weeks, you will get an envelope filled with stuff, including stickers and an ID card. You will also begin receiving 12 issues of whatever magazine you chose. You will also begin receiving lots of NRA mailings over the next year.

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 3, 2009, 08:03 AM   #29
MDB

I renewed for 5 years 2 months ago. They just now charged my credit card.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:41 PM   #30
Cerick

I ment year, my bad.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #31
parrothead2581

Folks, don't expect much from this. It is a free trial membership. No magazine, no insurance, no cheap knife. Mailings asking you to pay for a full membership will surely follow.

At least their numbers are being increased.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:14 PM   #32
poptime

IMO, the NRA is a terrific value. I pay the dues and don't grudge it at all.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:10 AM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Parrothead, The offer I replied to insinuated a full membership and I picked the magazine of my choice as well.... We will see when my PACKET arrives...
Brent
Old April 5, 2009, 04:04 PM   #34
parrothead2581

Quote:
Parrothead, The offer I replied to insinuated a full membership and I picked the magazine of my choice as well.... We will see when my PACKET arrives...
Brent
HogDogs....Perhaps they bit off more than they can chew on this one. Or someone goofed up in originally publishing the webpage. Of course, the original full membership could have been for alimited time or number of people. In any event, the page now reads trial membership with no mention of a magazine, or insurance.

http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/

We shall wait and see what to make of this.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:05 AM   #35
armsmaster270

Just did 5 years of full membership for $100.00
Old April 6, 2009, 02:53 AM   #36
spikespeigel

Add two more to the list... No email as of yet but I'm not concerned. As long as numbers go up...
Old April 7, 2009, 05:19 PM   #37
flippycat

got my conformation email today ;)

got my conformation email today and member ID # ...lol looks like they were behind a little bit.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:33 PM   #38
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
Within a couple weeks, you will get an envelope filled with stuff, including stickers and an ID card. You will also begin receiving 12 issues of whatever magazine you chose. You will also begin receiving lots of NRA mailings over the next year.
and within the next few months you will start receiving incessant fear mongering phone calls asking for money.

This is a "sign up for our donation calls for free" promotion.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:46 PM   #39
parrothead2581

It's obvious that someone made an error, they received more free membership requests than they anticipated, or the full year free membership was for a limited time.

The magazine has not been a part of the free trial offer for several days now. An option to sign up for a full membership at a discounted rate is available now.

When I signed up two weeks ago, I was not given a magazine option.

I have since received a request for payment to activate my membership and my choice of a magazine. I shredded it. I have not received any correspondence from the NRA for months, until I signed up for this.

Coincidence?
Old April 7, 2009, 05:57 PM   #40
RockyMtnTactical

Should be a sticky! With Pelosi today coming out and going back on her word about a new AWB, we need to be ready for a fight! Join the NRA, GOA, and write, call, email, etc...
Old April 7, 2009, 06:11 PM   #41
Bud Helms

We'll sticky this for a while.
Old April 14, 2009, 03:29 PM   #42
parrothead2581

I got my membership "packet" today.

Included was the membership card, two stickers, a coupon code for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more through the NRA online store, a member survey, and a form to opt in to $5,000 of accident insurance and $1,000 of firearms insurance at no cost.

I believe that was it. There was no mention of a magazine. We shall see if one shows up in the next few weeks.
Old April 21, 2009, 03:58 PM   #43
parrothead2581

I humbly stand corrected. A copy of American Rifleman was in my mailbox today.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:32 AM   #44
J.Netto

Thank You
Old April 28, 2009, 09:08 AM   #45
voyager4520

A user on glocktalk.com suggested this to me, and as far as everyone there is saying you don't get the magazine or the sport-shooting insurance.

I just signed up today, so we shall see shortly.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:15 AM   #46
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I got mail for me and the wife. Daughter got email verification but no mail. All I got was a magazine, mo card but wife got both.
Brent
Old May 2, 2009, 10:28 PM   #47
scud

just got a sticker & my membership card last week. thanks.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:04 PM   #48
JJL

I heard about this from my dad and signed up four days ago for the free 1-year membership and a second year for $25. I received a confirmation email right away, and the sign-up page told me to allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. I'd been meaning to join anyway; the free year was just incentive.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:43 AM   #49
voyager4520

I received my confirmation email May 4. It's now May 29 and no physical mail yet, but I did just receive my "Freedom Times" email newsletter.

If the NRA spent as much of our money actually lobbying as they do trying to get more out of us, we wouldn't have any problems with 2nd amendment rights. I've seen all their little tricks by now with my dad having been a member. They make you think you have to give them more money to get this or that, but they word it carefully so as not to exactly say that you don't get your regular membership benefits without sending them more cash. Then when you send them more donations, they learn to play those tricks on you as much as possible and dangle your regular membership benefits in front of you like a piece of steak, never quite letting you have it. Don't send them any more money until you get what was promised, and if you have to call them every few weeks and let them know they're not fulfilling their promises to you. They'll act like stuff got lost in the mail and they'll "resend it" to you, much like the black and gold hat everyone's had problems with.

I plan on sending them $25 to add a year to my membership because I don't like mooching off of a good cause, but that money will just get wasted sending me more advertisements and such, and I'm not giving them a dime until I get what was already promised to me so they know not to toy around with me.

Edit: Speaking Of!!! I got my membership packet in the mail today, the very same day I came here to see what was up with not getting it yet. I signed up for the free membership apparently after the magazine was discluded from the sign up page, though I don't know if I have yet to get it in the mail. I didn't have the option of selecting which magazine, so I doubt I will.

Included in my packet: Member card, decals, and a "Confidential Member Survey". The survey can be sent in by mail or filled out over the net. Upon completion of the survey, you're supposed to be sent a discount coupon in the actual mail worth 30% off your next purchase at nrastore.com. No price limits for the discount are mentioned on the survey. As I expected when I began reading it, they imply that you must sign up for a paid membership and/or donate to receive your 30% off coupon, but they don't exactly say it, as with many of the mailings I've seen that they've sent to my dad. The paid membership prices, and they don't say that this is added to your free year, though I have seen them say that in my membership confirmation email, are: 1 year $25(normally $35), 3 years $70(norm $85), and 5 years(norm $125). I plan to add a year here in a week or so, so as not to be a moocher and actually contribute to the cause, but I'm going to do so in through the link in my email so that I know the paid membership is getting added on to my free year.

Edit2: I completed the survey online and it does say that joining for a paid membership adds that membership to your free year. I'm going to do so through a money order though, as I don't like giving my credit card number whenever I don't absolutely need to.

Last edited by voyager4520; May 30, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 4, 2009, 02:42 PM   #50
1911A1Bob

I know that a lot of folks hate to receive the letters asking for money from the NRA. That's what your trash can is there for. If you don't want to send extra money, then don't. It only takes a moment to toss that stuff in the trash. It's that simple. All I can say is that we are fortunate to have the NRA there to fight for ALL of us, not just we the paying members. The non-members benefit from the paid memberships of those of us who do join. My membership dues have been helping to fight since the early 80's. I don't begrudge one dollar of the money I've given to the NRA because I still have a safe full of guns that I guarantee I wouldn't have if it weren't for the NRA.

Remember what Mr. Franklin told us about hanging together lest we hang seperately.

"...Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

Last edited by 1911A1Bob; June 4, 2009 at 02:48 PM.