The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2000, 10:24 AM   #1
BlackJack

Just picked up a used Mossberg 500 at a gunshow yesterday and it comes with two barrels, a 28, and an 18.5. When I install the 18.5, the action won't lock when the bolt is forward. I've examined the barrels and the connection ends appear to be identical in every detail. Is there any problem that might make the 18.5 not work? Thanks for any input.
Old September 17, 2000, 06:59 PM   #2
3 gun

Did the shotgun come with the manual? The Mossberg is a little tricky when changing barrels. The action need to be in its mid-point of travel, not completely open, when you tighten the barrel into place. Mossberg will send out a free owners manual if you need one. http://www.mossberg.com/

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight.
Old September 17, 2000, 07:34 PM   #3
BlackJack

Yep, has a manual and I've been through it a dozen times. It's definitely installed right. And closely examining the connecting surfaces of both barrels I can see no difference whatsoever. Both fit in just fine, but only when the long barrel is mounted will the bolt lock forward for firing. Any other ideas?