The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 18, 2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Arioch

scale model gatling

I'm a newbie here, and though I've asked this question on other forums, I've goten enough conflicting information to make me even more cautious.

I would like to buy plans for a functional half or 1/3 scale Gatling gun chambered in .22LR. Plans are readily available, and it would be for my own use, not for sale. The problem, as I see it, is that all the plans cll for barrels less than 16 inches long, and have overall lengths of under 26 inches. Doesn't either of these make it an NFA firearm?

Thanks for any help you can give a poor soul from the PR of MA.
Old April 18, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
deadin

That is a very good question. Why not go to the source and ask the BATFE? (Post what you find out)

Dean
Old April 18, 2006, 04:24 PM   #3
gunslinger555

hmmm ive seen one of thos at cabelas in dundee,michagan it was cool
Old April 24, 2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Arioch

gatling

Deadin, I've always been a little reluctant to go to any government regulatory agency for results (We're from the government and we're here to help you.) Feels a lot like poking a stick into a hornet's nest.
Old April 24, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
deadin

Arioch,
That's too bad as they are the ones that will prosecute you if you decide to act on some piece of wrong advice from the Internet. I don't know of any of the "advice givers" here that will put their money where their mouth is and help out to defray defense costs if you choose the wrong one to believe.

(I'm sure some will happily help you out by giving any guns you currently own a new home if you are convicted. )

Dean
Old April 24, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Edward429451

I know a guy who built one. Not sure what scale it is but its big enough to have to be towed to the range. It has a hopper on top and you just pour in 500 or 1000 rounds and it sorts them all out and feeds them in correctly as you turn the crank. It has 10 barrels, brass & stainless, and is a seriously cool gun. He built it and assures me that its totally legal.

I have no clue if he has or retained the plans for it.
Old April 24, 2006, 02:41 PM   #7
deadin

I don't think the question here was whether or not Gatlings were legal. (I believe it has been determined they are) But rather whether or not the size (barrels less than 16" and overall length less than 26") puts the 1/2 scale ones into the AOW class.

Dean
Old April 25, 2006, 10:56 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Hornet's nest

I agree that asking the govt for anything FEELS like asking for trouble. But they are the ones to ask (before you do anything else), as they are the ones who will prosecute, or not.

I would suggest that you get your answer in writing, SIGNED by a BATFE official, with their name and office clearly ledgible, and stating which laws and sections of laws you are in compliance with. And you keep copies available on demand for any LEO who asks questions.

As an example, I have a friend who has a registered antique motorcycle, which he rides to and from "antique motorcycle shows". Under state law, as a registered antique, he is exempt from our helmet law. He carries a copy of the law with him when he rides (without his helmet). He gets stopped (alot). He explains the situation to the officer, and shows them his copy of the law. He says this get him out of about HALF of the tickets. The other half of the officers write the ticket anyway, and say let the judge decide. The judge ALWAYS throws the ticket out, because my friend IS within the law. But he still get tickets written.

So get a answer from the FEDs, and keep it handy. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:58 AM   #9
Arioch

scale model gatling

Thank you all for your input (Deadin, you were right on the mark as far as my concerns about the half scale version being an AOW.) Curiously enough, my concerns aren't on the federal side, as I believe this has all been settled there, but on the State side. I presently live in MA (you know, the PRM) and our Attorney General has some peculiar ideas about what the citizens of the Commonwealth should be allowed to own. I'll keep you posted as I get more info, and I'd love to hear from someone with knowledge of the MA laws as they pertain to this.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:35 AM   #10
deadin

MA? Ouch! I tried looking through my copy of State regulations and MA is almost as bad as CA.
I'm afraid you are going to have to get a reading from your AG.

(I gave up after hitting the "Infernal Machine" section. It seems that it could cover just about anything that "they" want it to.)

I also see that you can't even buy/sell toy guns in Boston or Cambridge unless they are for "export" out of the city.

Dean
Old May 6, 2006, 08:20 AM   #11
MisterPX

A Gatling would be legal, however the 1/2 scale thing presents a good issue. Is it an AOW, or a SBR? ie; a 1919 with a 20" barrel. Those have been classed as rifles, yet they have no buttstock.
Old June 5, 2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Arioch

Maybe it would be easier just to wait untill I move to NH or VT in a few years, but it POs me that I have to jump through these hoops in MA.
Old June 5, 2006, 02:26 PM   #13
roscoe

Get a signed letter from Sterling Nixon at the BATF. I wouldn't trust anything less.
Old June 5, 2006, 03:35 PM   #14
TNT

http://www.gatlingguns.net/pricelist.htm
they are legal so long as you decide not to have the hand crank powered by anything other than the hand (like electric) Makita or Black and decker lol when I get mine done I'll put up pics
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...f_letter14.txt