The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1
SCDeac82

Huglu O/U's

Anyone have any experiences with or opinions on the Huglus?

Thanks.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old June 2, 2014, 11:15 AM   #2
BigJimP

I've seen 2 or 3 at my local range...and they were junk !

Guy I knew pretty well, bought one, couldn't hit anything with it....so we took it to the pattern board....one barrel was hitting high right about 6" and the other one was low left 3 or 4"....( so the barrels were not regulated properly)...dealer he bought it thru, helped him send it in for warranty / but they were never able to fix it....so he finally gave up on it.

He also had trouble with it doubling...( pull trigger once, both barrels fire )...but that seems to be common on a lot of the low end O/U's ....( I've seen a number of the Baikal's double as well )....

Huglu's were some of the worst I've seen ...even worse than Baikals, Stoeger, etc...
------
Most of the O/U's under $ 1,000 ....are not very good guns / no resale value, not durable, parts may be an issue..../ and while there are exceptions ...I don't know how you can look at them and tell...( if barrels are regulated, quality of the steel, quality of hammers, barrel lockup, etc...

There is a reason that used Browning Citori's - field grade - ( with 250,000 shells thru them, and 25 yrs old.....that were purchased new in 1989 for
$ 750 ) are still demanding $ 1,250 on the used market today ...with a lot of life still left in them if they were reasonably taken care of.
Old June 2, 2014, 04:46 PM   #3
SCDeac82

Wow, thanks Jim. Good comments.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old June 3, 2014, 08:57 AM   #4
globemaster3

You can find a lot of USAF guys who transited through Incirlik AB, Turkey, running around with them, as there was a factory store right outside the gate.

I bought 2 O/U, both 103s, both nicely engraved, and still own 1. I also picked up a 501 auto loader.

Both 103s have doubled. The friend who bought the other from me took it to a smith, who solved that problem quickly. I haven't bothered with mine as it was a 1-time thing and I might have bumped the trigger in recoil.

As for POA/POI regulation, nothing really to mention there. They both shot well.

Fit/finish on both were nice.

Now, the 501 was a nightmare. Jammed a lot and during the last hunt I took it on, after a great morning of shooting geese, the charging handle on the bolt disappeared...

Would I buy them again? Not the auto, but the O/Us, at $200 US/each, probably. But if I ever get back into skeet or upland birds again, it might be time for a nice Beretta or Browning double.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."