The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
praetorian97

Caliber Change

I currently use a turret and love how quickly I can change calibers. Roughly rack out 200/hour. But thinking about moving to a progressive.

What progressive press are you running and on average whats your change over time and round count output.

Last edited by praetorian97; April 15, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
jepp2

I use Dillon RL550B's and without changing priming (I don't prime on the press) it takes less than 3 minutes to change calibers.

Pull two pins and remove the tool head.

I loosen the set screw and remove the shoulder bolt securing the shell plate, drop the new shell plate in, adjust the shoulder bolt and tighten the set screw.

Slide the new tool head into place and replace the two pins.

Ready to load the next caliber. Takes less time to do than to write about it.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
griz

RCBS 2000. Change the shell plate is about a minute, less than that for the block that holds the dies, and another half a minute to change the primer size if needed. The powder measure has to be reset, and that takes longer than all the rest if it's a charge you don't already have a setting for. All that is at a casual and careful pace, the only way I reload. For that reason the fastest I've ever loaded is about 400 rounds an hour, usually it's closer to 300.
Old April 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4
BigJimP

I load on a Dillon 650 - with a case feeder....so volue is easily 800 - 1,000 rds an hour ( if all you're doing is cycling the handle).

Changing over calibers...15 min or so ( its not a speed drill ) --- I clean up the press, lube everything, clean the dies I'm removing for next time..clean the case feeder plate..wipe out the case feeder, etc.../ but it just takes a few minutes. I have tool heads setup for every caliber I load ...with a powder measure and a powder check die adjusted and installed ...so unless I change bullets or powder or something ...change over is real easy.

If I go from large to small pistol primers...I change the primer system too ...and take it apart and clean it as well ...for next time. But that only adds 5 min at the most...( take one off - and clean it - and put the other one on the press ).
Old April 17, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Quote:
I load on a Dillon 650 - with a case feeder....so volue is easily 800 - 1,000 rds an hour ( if all you're doing is cycling the handle).

Changing over calibers...15 min or so ( its not a speed drill ) --- I clean up the press, lube everything, clean the dies I'm removing for next time..clean the case feeder plate..wipe out the case feeder, etc.../ but it just takes a few minutes. I have tool heads setup for every caliber I load ...with a powder measure and a powder check die adjusted and installed ...so unless I change bullets or powder or something ...change over is real easy.

If I go from large to small pistol primers...I change the primer system too ...and take it apart and clean it as well ...for next time. But that only adds 5 min at the most...( take one off - and clean it - and put the other one on the press ).
Ditto.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Mike-Mat

Lee Loadmaster: Takes about 15 minutes also, with a good clean and lube.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have a Hornady L&L. To change calibers with the assumption that I am also changing primer sizes and shell plates I can probably do in under a half hour.

First I would screw the dies out of the press bushings and replace with dies for the new caliber. That only takes maybe three or four minutes. Then I would change the shell plate which takes another two or three minutes. My next step would be to adjust the powder measure Case Activated Powder Drop system. This requires my weighing test charges and making adjustments for same, and it may take me ten to fifteen minutes to do it. Adjusting the dies would be my next step, and that would be maybe five minutes. My last step would be to change the primer tubes and shuttle. My primer system works real well, so changing primers is certainly less than five minutes.

Those steps for me add up to about a half hour, and that may seem long to a lot of folks. It really isn't for me. I could use the L&L bushings as they were designed, but I really do not like doing that, and it really does not take long to change dies. I also like to adjust my bullet seating die and case mouth belling die each time I use them. I guess I could also get a different powder measure and Case Activated Powder Drop system for each caliber I use to save someone else's idea of valuable time, but I load for a lot of calibers, and I cannot afford to buy different powder measures and drop systems for each. Besides, I would still have to spend time weighing a bunch of test drops either way, and that still takes time. I don't know how I could make changing primer sizes go any faster than it does already. In addition to all the other stuff I do, I forgot to mention that I probably would take a trip to the head for another three minutes before starting in reloading a new batch.

I don't get lost in the idea of how fast I can change dies or even how many cartridges I can load in an hour. For almost forty years I loaded all my metallic cartridges on a single stage press. When using my Hornady L&L, I am perfectly happy with the idea that I get a finished round with every cycle of the handle. When starting to reload a batch of cases, I know I can expect them all to run through the press without having any stoppage. As long as I keep my press clean, it is a rare occasion when I encounter a stoppage. If I can take my time and still load five to ten cartridges a minute, that sure is fast to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
g.willikers

Dillon Square Deal can do up to 450 rounds per hour without getting confused.
But since repetitive work is so boring, it's more like about half that, with breaks.
Change over takes some time, using it as an excuse to clean and lube the machine, powder drop parts and dies.
So, no hurry there.
Reloading is supposed to be another enjoyable hobby, after all.