The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 19, 2007, 09:59 PM   #1
restlessnomad

Wow - Watch this Officer

I dont know if you guys have seen this, but its worth watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

..Sorry forgot the link
Old June 19, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Black Adder LXX

???
Old June 19, 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Don H

Sorry, but this video of the DEA agent shooting himself in the foot is old and much discussed here and on other forums.
Old June 19, 2007, 10:29 PM   #4
restlessnomad

Ok, guess I didn't look hard enough. Sorry
Old June 19, 2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Archie

There's an old proverb...

Keep your words soft and sweet for you may have to eat them.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 20, 2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Tanzer

It's an old video, but it can be used to express different points. How good would this guy be at crowd control? I'm a teacher. See that thin brunette teacher to the side? (not the lady handing him guns) I guarantee she's the reason they didn't start laughing/calling him names. She'd put the fear into them. He's just plain wrong for any job that requires a "pay attention to me" attitude. That hand going up is a brake, a shield, not how an officer of such caliber should be acting (yeah, I know, adrenaline). What the heck should it matter to that crowd whether it's a Glock? To them, IT'S A GUN! That's machismo getting in the way of making the point. In front of a school crowd, you never speak loud to accomodate them. They listen to accomodate your normal, comfortable voice. No matter what-bang or no bang. Disargree? then don't, but fires and other emergencies can and do happen. They won't act like a routine fire drill in the real thing unless officials can handle that facet of behavior. I can imagine him telling a crowd to move back. "Only us qualified officers who carry Glocks in holsters with thumbreaks and are used to looking at dead bodies with their faces burned off should be here!" I respect the position to the fullest, I'm not convinced that all departments know public relations as they should.
Old June 25, 2007, 12:56 AM   #7
restlessnomad

Didn't think about that Tanzer, btw I love your signature.
Old June 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #8
revance

Congrats Mr. Police officer... you just created an entire roomful of antis.

Probably should have paid a bit more attention during that 2 week firearms course. I guess he fell asleep before they got to the 3rd rule.
Old June 29, 2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Drach

What I took from this video is that an unintentional discharge can happen to ANYONE.

I have often read that if you are around firearms long enough, its not a question of if, but when.

Its bound to happen to all of us, and I hope I'm not infront of a room full of people, and someone with a camera, when it does.
Old June 29, 2007, 10:27 PM   #10
tomh1426

A similar LEO AD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g_ffroqhMc
Old June 29, 2007, 10:45 PM   #11
joab

That second one is my favorite

Notice the cop that almost got shot immediately reacted to the shot assessed the threat and returned to his job of securing the suspect while the officer that had the AD can't remember where her holster is (It shows better in the full version
Old June 30, 2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Ozzieman

I have been into guns for over 40 years now and

Yes I am afraid to say that I have had an accidental discharge, I was in a hurry to clear a gun and put it away. But I am happy to say that with the training that I had, it was pointed in a safe direction and away from people (including my self). I have a long thin box that sets between my safe and the wall that’s filled with Cat litter (clean) and when I clear a gun it’s always pointed into the top of the box.
I was in a hurry (Wife wanted to go shopping) and I had just returned from shooting. It was the gun that was on my hip and I thought I had cleared it and the mag was removed when I went to drop the hammer and it slipped out from under my thumb.
When my ears stopped ringing the first thing I heard was “That better not have been a gun going off”.
There was kitty litter all over the place but no holes in the side of the box. When I think of what could have happened,,,,,,,,,,,,,.
The point is that I can happen, the safe practices that you stay with will keep you from doing something stupid.
Which this film shows that this stupid twit should not be carrying a gun and for Gods sake why was he carrying and showing a loaded gun in a classroom.
Any one want to guess if he will ever be invited to a class room to show gun safety again.
On a side note I did hear (don’t know if it true or not) that he sued or is suing the School for allowing the film to be released to the public. Something about destroying his career.
Old June 30, 2007, 11:42 AM   #13
Doug.38PR

A black Barney Fife. Seriously, that's almost a line by line UPN or BET version of an Andy Griffith episode where Barney, all know-it-all-professional, fires his gun off showing everybody what a professional is.

Funny too. (or not so-funny when you consider that the repercussions could have been worse than a hole in his foot and a trip to the emegency room)

I can almost see his supervisor sitting behind his desk when that guy reports in simply looking up after watching the video and extending his hand (like Andy) for the DEA to hand him the gun
Old July 7, 2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Glockeroo

This has been discussed 1000's of times. Yes he is an idiot! We'll leave it at that.
Old July 8, 2007, 04:51 PM   #15
alligator94

Still it never gets old, and is always good for a laugh. I know many active and retired LEO's that feel that only they are responsible enough to have guns, even when they know nothing about them. They go on and on about their training and how great a shot they are. But for some reason always have an excuse for not going to the range with me or showing me any targets after I showed them mine.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:21 PM   #16
Glockeroo

Wow, the woman's was even worse. What the heck was she thinking. She didn't even need to have her finger on the trigger while the offender was down. I wouldn't want her as my partner.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:41 AM   #17
odsixer

Reno 911