The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 18, 2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Dragline45

20" AR - Crowned Bull Barrel or Govt Profile w/ Comp

I want to put together a 20" rifle length AR to throw some optics on as a mid-long range shooter and am just going through options right now.

At this point I am still deciding if I want to build an upper myself or buy an upper from BCM and throw a comp on it. I live in MA so flash hiders aren't an option unless I get a pre-ban lower which can be big money. So if I want a muzzle device I would have to throw a comp or a brake on it, which on a scoped rifle does have it's benefits for followup shots.

I see on some of these longer barreled builds many will go with a heavy crowned bull barrel, will a crowned bull barrel offer just as much recoil reduction as a govt profile barrel with a comp? Will there really be a noticeable accuracy difference between a bull barrel and a govt profile barrel? How about noise and flash, how much quieter or how much less flash will a crowned barrel have compared to one with a comp?
Old April 18, 2015, 03:23 PM   #2
TMD

With a 20" bull or heavy barrel there is no need for a muzzle break, there's enough weight to absorb what little recoil there it. I have a Stag 6 which is a 24" heavy stainless barrel that's crowned. Between that barrel, rubber coated aluminum tube hand guard, Magpul PRS stock, bipod, and scope it weighs in right at 14lbs without ammo. Definitely a bench gun.
Old April 18, 2015, 04:29 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

My 6x45mm has a 20" 'standard profile' barrel.

There is no need for a brake or compensator. Muzzle jump is minimal.

Like TMD, that 6x45mm morphed into a bit of a heavyweight as the build progressed, even without a heavy barrel. It's now tipping the scales at more than 13 lbs.
Recoil and muzzle rise are negligible. Last time I had it out, my brother and I actually discussed whether or not the word "non-existent" could be used justifiably.
We even debated whether or not my .22 WMR or another brother's .22 Hornet had more recoil.
Old April 18, 2015, 04:35 PM   #4
burrhead

I built my mid/long range AR using a NOS 20" 1/7 Colt H-Bar barrel. Crowned with no muzzle device. Total weight is around 15#. Doesn't recoil much. Another thought; for the amount of money I put into the build I could have bought a White Oak and been done with it. If I had a do-over that would be my plan.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old April 18, 2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Mobuck

I'm not sure why you feel the need to "throw a comp on it", but really, it's a .223 so no real need to moderate recoil.
My "utility" AR's have flash hiders on them but that's entirely for muzzle protection.
Old April 18, 2015, 06:56 PM   #6
mavracer

I wouldn't worry about a comp unless I was building a 3 gun setup and I wouldn't build a 20" for 3 gun. Heck I'm not sure that I'd ever build another 20" unless I was doing a m16 clone of some nature.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 18, 2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD
With a 20" bull or heavy barrel there is no need for a muzzle break, there's enough weight to absorb what little recoil there it.
That's what I was thinking, I am leaning towards a crowned bull barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I'm not sure why you feel the need to "throw a comp on it", but really, it's a .223 so no real need to moderate recoil.
My "utility" AR's have flash hiders on them but that's entirely for muzzle protection.
If you read my initial post you will note that I live in MA and we cant have flash hiders since we still follow the old AWB, so my only options for a muzzle device are comps and brakes unless I get a super expensive pre-ban lower.

I know 5.56/.223 has minimal recoil, that's not to say that when looking down a scope that a comp or brake wont help keep you on target between shots.

I am leaning towards a crowned barrel at this point, it also saves me the trouble of getting the muzzle device pinned because in MA regardless of barrel length you need to have it pinned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavracer
I wouldn't worry about a comp unless I was building a 3 gun setup and I wouldn't build a 20" for 3 gun. Heck I'm not sure that I'd ever build another 20" unless I was doing a m16 clone of some nature.
I just put together a 14.5" midlength last year so I already have a small handy AR if I need it. Since this will be mainly for longer range work and I plan on throwing optics on it I figure I might as well go with a 20" rifle length.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 18, 2015 at 08:01 PM.