The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 11, 2009, 01:05 AM   #1
DavidB2

Differences in 1863 Zouave Rem. Rifle and 2 Band Enfield?

I am looking at saving up for either reproduction of a 2 Band Enfield Rifled/musket or the Zouave rifle. They both look somewhat the same on websites; except that the 2 Band Enfield has no brass fittings. Can anyone tell me how these compare when it comes to shooting or price? Perhaps there are dimensions that I am missing as I try to compare these two rifles. The 2 Band Enfield looks better initially to me; but I am not as familiar with these two guns as I am other Civil War weapons. I have heard that the Enfield is better since it is allowed in any re-enactments; but I don't have enough funds to get into re-enacting right now. A good shooter is my main priority. Thanks for your advice.
Old June 11, 2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
I have heard that the Enfield is better since it is allowed in any re-enactments
Not true for the two band Enfield. There are some re-enactments that won't allow any short barreled rifle. Have you looked at the Mississippi Rifle? It's a little different but still has the short barrel you want.
Old June 11, 2009, 04:39 AM   #3
l.cutler

The Enfield has a much straighter stock. Some people have a hard time getting down into the sights because of the lack of drop in the stock, others it doesn't seem to bother. It would be a good idea to try one hands on if possible.
Old June 11, 2009, 05:59 AM   #4
eastbank

i shoot a repo 63 zouave with the lyman 575213 old style hollow base mini ball with 60 grs fff, fill the hollow base with crisco for lube. the 63 zouave has a large bore and the 575213 loads easy, a friends enfield has a tight bore and he has to size the 575213 old style for easy loading(we both use the same mold) i like both rifles, but the sights drive me crazy tho. eastbank.
Old June 11, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

If your priority is shooting, the original 2 band Enfields were highly prized and reserved by the Confederates for the sharpshooter battalions. Most rifle muskets of the period were accurate out to 500 yards, but the Enfields could reach out to 800. There's plenty of recorded hits at that distance. Go to Bedtime Stories at THR's blackpowder forum if you want to read long range shooting stories.