The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 16, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
wkrauss

Help Identifying Rifles

I've got 2 rifle's that were my grandfather and great grandfather's guns. I don't know much about guns and any info would be helpful, especially estimated value.

The 1st gun:
Visible markings say "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER OBERNDORF A/N INTERARMCO G33/50" then on the side of the barrel "9198" and on the back of the bolt itself "810" then on the lever to release the bolt "200" or "003", can't tell.

The 2nd Gun:
Visible markings say "US REMINGTON MODEL 03-A3 3888261"

thanks
Old January 16, 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Rifle no 1 is a Swedish Mauser, model of 1896, caliber 6.5x55 Swedish.
The G33/50 is a trademark of the Interarmco company which imported them into the USA as military surplus and cut them down into cheap sporting rifles. Dollar value is low, maybe $100, but it is a serviceable hunting rifle at ranges where you can get good hits with the open sights.

Rifle no 2 is as marked a 1903A3 produced by Remington for the Army and Marines during WW II, secondary standard to the M1 Garand. Caliber is .30-06. The stock has been considerably remodeled with a well defined pistol grip and checkering that the army did not do. I cannot tell in the small picture but the rear sight does not look quite right, either. A fine hunting or target rifle but modifications always reduce collector interest and resale value. Let's say $500 until somebody comes along with a better idea.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
wkrauss

thank you for your reply, very helpful.
Old January 16, 2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Chipperman

Quote:
I cannot tell in the small picture but the rear sight does not look quite right, either.
I agree, that sight is not standard. Possibly a Lyman or Redfield type of peep.