The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2014, 10:01 AM   #1
sparkytx

Howdy!

Being a new member and new to shooting and reloading, I just wanted to drop a note a say howdy!

I have a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 and a XDS 3.3 45. Wife has an XDM 4.5 9. Wife has had hers about 5 years (but only been shooting for the last year or so) and I got my XDS for Christmas and the 3.8 a few weeks ago.

I didn't grow up around guns, except 22 rifles with Boy Scouts. I am really enjoying the hobby of target shooting at the local range and look forward to getting my CHL soon.

I'm a hobbyist and DIYer and tend to obsess with things sometimes, so getting into reloading was just a matter of time. I purchased a basic Lee setup for 9 and 45 a few weeks ago and have collected, deprimed and cleaned about 5k rounds of 9 brass and 2k of 45. I have received my first set of bullets (Xtreme copper plated) and got some primers. I have gunpowder on order, as no one locally had anything, and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can make my first rounds.

I have already learned quite a bit from perusing this forum and wanted to thank you guys for all your words of wisdom so far. I look forward to learning more and being able to contribute to discussions soon.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
JefferS

You're not alone in the newbie world. I never shot a pistol except for once when I was about 12 years old before picking up shooting one a couple of years ago (mid 40's) and reloading now for about a year. I love both and wish I could find more time/money to do both.

Howdy back at ya!
Old April 2, 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
serf 'rett

Welcome to the forum!

Read your reloading manuals and be safe.
Old April 2, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Welcome aboard neighbor, well sort of anyway. I'm in the H-town area but I have family up in your neck of the woods, and a bit SE of you in the Palestine area.

As mentioned and I am sure will be repeated in more post on down the line, set you up a shelf and start picking up a manual here and there along the way as well. I have about 4' on tow shelves of them and still have to look around once in a while.

Also look up the powder manufacturer sites as well. Most if not all of them now have online data which can be downloaded.

Keep things simple at first no need in trying to push the limits of pressure or speed. Take plenty of time, and you will enjoy it more than having to come ask questions repeatedly. Look at your load development from an accuracy point of view and work towards that more than anything else. Nothing in this world will know the difference of 50 - 100fps in your loads. A miss at light speed is still a miss. Most of your lower to mid ranged loads will be easier on you to shoot as well as your firearm, not to mention they are usually the more accurate ones as well.

Last thing is there are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of repetitive ones, and there are even more that can easily be answered by the search feature on most of the forums or by an hour or less reading through those above mentioned manuals.

I've been loading for over 40yrs but I am still learning, so don't get tied up and frustrated. Just keep it simple and safe and you will do fine.
Old April 2, 2014, 05:50 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Welcome

When the time comes for you to need assistance loading, we'll be here. Collectively, we have centuries of experience. You're in good hands.
Old April 3, 2014, 09:44 AM   #6
g.willikers

Be careful if you do the reloading in the kitchen.
For some reason, wives don't think live primers getting into the disposal as very amusing.
They're strange that way.
Old April 3, 2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

*sigh*

No sense of humor
Old April 4, 2014, 04:36 AM   #8
hooligan1

Welcome

Welcome to the Wealth of handloading information known as The FiringLine forums.

There are some fellas here that know pretty much anything you may need in the future..