The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 11, 2015, 06:22 AM   #1
kershaws

Tips on how to install bolt assembly on Mossberg 500?

I'm having trouble putting the bolt assembly into my Mossberg 590a1 after disassembling it. When I see YT videos of people reassembling the Mossberg, it looks like the bolt assembly slides right back in with no problem, but when I try to do it it takes a lot of pressure and it ends up popping up out of place, and when it seems like I put it in, it feels wobbly.
Yes i'm putting it in the correct position. Any tips on how to install the bolt assembly/bolt slide correctly? Is there a certain spot where I should align it? Thanks.
Old January 11, 2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Blindstitch

You shouldn't have to fight the bolt in just twist it back and forth till it lines up and then slide it back.

In this video you can see how he slides the bolt back to a certain point, then aligns the slide bars so the bolt slide drops right in. A bit off in either direction and it won't work.

At 3:30 he shows the alignment.
http://youtu.be/oKbWcPdTRBI
Old January 11, 2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Blindstitch

This video also does a good job around 3:20 and has a pretty good close up.

http://youtu.be/GX8GsZNQpds

The hardest part of breaking the gun down and putting it back together is doing it the first time. When you get it back together you're going to wonder what's wrong with you because every time after that it will be easy.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Any Luck?
Old January 11, 2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

if I understand you correctly, you're having trouble getting the bolt into the gun and once in, trouble getting it into the proper position.

Having owned three Mossbergs, I can feel your pain. It was a long time ago, but I can still remember how it more than an hour to get the thing put back together the first time.

As someone else already stated, you shouldn't have to fight the bolt to get into the gun. Before trying to insert the bolt into the gun, depress the 'button' on top of the bolt. It should be fully depressed. This makes insertion a bit easier, though it still requires a bit of digital dexterity to get it to slide over those two 'bumps.' Once the bolt is past the second bump, it should kind of slip into a slot, with no real play in any direction.

Once you get to this point, slide the bolt forward so that you can see the entire ejector pin in the ejection port. Reassembly should be as depicted in the video from this point.

Note: At first, I tried to baby my Mossbergs while trying to disassemble/reassemble them. Then I watched a competitive shotgunner buddy of mine do it, and I realized that I could be a lot firmer with the thing without fear.

Second note: When re-installing the bolt slide, after making sure everything is properly aligned, you should press the slide firmly down into position until you hear a small click. Use your thumb to slide the slide/bolt assembly back and forth to make sure everything is good to go. It should feel as if it is a one piece unit if you've properly seated the slide onto the bolt.

Hope that helps.