The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 14, 2012, 09:52 PM   #26
robertsig

Vepr?

These might be a nice alternative to a .308 Scout rifle. I wonder how accurate they are.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns?caliber=48
Old November 16, 2012, 03:27 AM   #27
bamaranger

Cooper on Scouts

I read and clipped about everything Cooper ever wrote (at least published) on "Scouts", and I had to have one. But who could afford a Steyr or custom 'smith work? Not me, that's for sure.

When the Savage Scout came, out, I could afford that. It 'missed" as well, length and weight wise, no bipod, but it was the only affordable factory option.

The Ruger Frontier is a trim light little package, I had to resist one about a month ago, used, at a big shop an hour from home.

The new Gunsite Scout is now an affordable factory option. I don't like the big box (4+1 of .308 will solve all my problems) nor the flash hider, but its an improvement on the Savage, not as sleek as the Frontier.

I'm beginning to think that the modern dot has eclipsed the 'scout scope" in utility. Such things did not exist (I don't think so anyhow) in reliable, compact form when Cooper did his initial stuff. And he did not like battery powered optics, period. But tiime has proven the modern dot is tough and here to stay.

Something like a Leupold Delta, or a Fastfire, mounted IER like a scoutscope, may be the next step in the evolution of the scout.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:11 AM   #28
ATCDoktor

I purchased Ruger GSR about a year or so ago and it has become my most used 308 caliber rifle.

It is light, fast handling and carries well in the field and has sufficient magazine capacity to deal with most hunting and social situations that arise in the field (I live and hunt about 10 miles from the Mexican Border).

With regards to sighting systems, I have used the factory supplied adjustable sights, forward mounted Burris Fast Fire, a Weaver 2X handgun scope and conventionally (rear) mounted rifle scopes and all have worked well for me.

It is accurate with any decent ammo and it will turn in groups of less than an inch if I do my part.

I find that I get the best accuracy with bullets of 165 grains and heavier and groups tighten considerably with my handloads when the bullets are seated out to match the length of the magazine.

A lot of people ask whether they should buy the Ruger GSR or the Springfiled Armory Scout version of the M1A and to me it is an apples to oranges comparison.

That said as an owner of both platforms, who has hunted with both I will share the following:

Out of the box, the Ruger GSR blows the M1A away with respect to accuracy, ease of handling, weight distribution, trigger pull and will handle any 308/7.62X51 caliber ammo you can find with no need to defer to a gas system.

The Ruger Scout can be conventionally scoped without the use of secondary mounting system and when conventionally scoped it lends itself to a conventional cheek weld that requires no strange placement of the head/face or secondary cheek pad to administrate.

The barrel is factory threaded for use of a suppressor (if your so inclined) so there is no need to spend an additional 250 bucks for 5/8X24 suppressor interface and an adustable gas plug to get it to run with a Silencer in place.

With regards to cost, for the the price of an M1A Scout I can buy a Ruger GSR and 600-800 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match, shoot for 6 or 8 months and have a pile of quality brass left over for reloading.

To me, the only advantage the M1A has over the GSR is magazine capacity and sustained rate of fire.

Now, I'm not bashing the M1A (I have 3, the SOCOM II, the Scout and the full sized loaded model with Stainless BBL) and appreciate the platform as much as anybody else but having spent days carrying both in the field, the Ruger GSR suits me and my needs a whole lot better.

M1A pics to appease those so oriented

About the only thing that I would change on my Ruger GSR would be the addition of a tactical bolt knob. I find that the factory bolt knob small and easy to miss when running the bolt from the shoulder.

I am by no means stating that the Ruger GSR is "The Perfect Rifle" but for me it covers a whole lot of bases in one package for a reasonable price.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:08 AM   #29
alex0535

Something just sort of irks me about the scope being mounted so far forward. Maybe its just being so familiar with a conventionally mounted magnifying optic.

Although to the poster above me, The Burris fast-fire looks really awesome on it. I own one and I think its an awesome little reflex sight.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:28 PM   #30
trg42wraglefragle

ATCDoktor, What sort of accuracy have you gotten from your Ruger?
Old November 16, 2012, 03:36 PM   #31
ATCDoktor

Quote:
ATCDoktor, What sort of accuracy have you gotten from your Ruger?
Conventionally scoped with my hand loads and prepped brass I can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

That's with bullets of 165 to 175 grains seated out to reflect the full length of the magazine.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:19 PM   #32
DATL

ATCDoktor, I like your style! The M1A is my favorite semi-auto rifle of all time. When the budget permits I will own one! I am a sucker for the one in the ad with the digital camo [wolf wistle].
Old November 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #33
DATL

@ MLeake, it was loud but I wasn't thinking about it in reference to anything else when last shot. Next time I go shooting I'll compare it with a few other rifles. There's a lot of app's to measure volume in the apple appstore- I may see if they work and what this GSR is working with!

@ Single Six, Ha ha thanks! Don't feel bad I felt the same way when I saw that guy's BADA$$ M1A LOL (j/k ATCDoktor) I think matte-silver would be awesome. I'm a duracoat junky myself.

@ alex0535, the front mounted scopes aren't for everyone! I gotta say though so far I LOVE the metal sights without any sort of optic. I'm going to play with several options, but thus far with having a little red-dot I LOVE the forward mounted optic. It's amazing how much easier it is to shoot with both eyes open. Again though it's still not for everyone!
Old November 17, 2012, 12:03 AM   #34
DATL

@ Crow Hunter, you have some REALLY good points that were pretty thought provoking for me! You actually changed my plan for this rifle and probably have saved me some money! (Re: bipod, ching-sling, etc...) Hopefully I can get a chance to play with a ching sling to see what it's like. I don't mind the 16" barrel so far- I think it's great looking with the flash hider. But I can def. see the benefits of the 18" offering like the Aussie's get. I think the laminate stock is awesome but must admit the first thing I did when I brought the GSR home was to google to see if there were any light polymer stock options. I'm sort of torn because I really like the looks of the laminate, but the polymer would surely be lighter- which would be a win on a "scout" rifle!
Old November 17, 2012, 10:17 AM   #35
Crow Hunter

Glad that I helped.

Keep us posted on what you do and how you like it.

Good luck.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:38 PM   #36
WhitSpurzon

I sure like mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDD3zFixb2g

Very versatile. Shoots a wide variety of loads very well. Subsonic and Supersonic, Jacketed and Cast, Light and Heavy.

I've had the best luck with 165 gr or Jacketed bullets and the best load in mine has been a Max published charge of IMR3031 (2573 fps average).

My best subsonic load is a 220 grain cast bullet - Lyman 311284 - over W231 and pushed to just under 1,000 fps. Very accurate and impressively hard hitting on steel.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:31 PM   #37
TheBear

Great video WhitSpurzon!

How much of W231 do you use under the 220gr cast bullet?

Any of you know about the export version of the ruger scout? It has a 2" longer barrel and no muzzle thread.
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=1386.0
Old November 18, 2012, 10:38 PM   #38
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
What I would have preferred to see:

-18" bbl, even that is punishingly loud. (Comparison SCAR 17 vs Larue PredatAR with 18" bbl with the same AAC Blackout FH) -Conventional scope mounting position that didn't require removal the rear iron sights. -Lighterweight polymer stock instead of the heavy laminate stock. As it is, it is nearly as heavy as a semi, which would be my only reason to chose a bolt over a semi.
Ditto. I've thought of buying a Ruger American .308, cutting & crowning the barrel at 18", and adding BUIS to achieve that goal. And I think it could be done for under a GSR's MSRP....
Old November 20, 2012, 10:53 PM   #39
DATL

Seeker_two I thought about doing something similar with a really old M77 I have. I just don't think there is a way to make it have a magazine. I didn't realize the Ruger American had a Mag. I need to polish up on my reading! Though I admittedly I'm very new to rifles as handguns have been my main distraction the last ten years.

Last edited by DATL; November 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:21 PM   #40
DMacLeod

I have one and really like it. Tried an eotech 512 on it but ended up with a Leupold FX II instead. The eotech went back on my AR where it came from.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:40 PM   #41
DMacLeod

Here's a couple of pics[/IMG]

I really like the ruger poly mags.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:42 PM   #42
DMacLeod

oops, first pic didn't make it.Let's try again.[/IMG]

Old November 23, 2012, 05:52 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
A low powered scope conventionally mounted is faster at close range and more accurate at long range.
I find "both eyes open" shooting with a conventionally mounted 3x scope gives me a splitting headache from eyestrain- my right eyes focusing on an image close to it and the left out at the target is not going to work for me.

"Eyes on target" shooting with a scout scoped rifle is a wonderful thing, once you master it.....

I have a Ruger Frontier in 7-08, with a Leupold IER on it. It's a Keeper. When I get a suppressor for it, it will be the "Perfect Kid's Deer Gun".
Old November 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #44
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Cooper stated that in competition "shoot and scoot" runs at Gunsite, those with the forward-mount scope scored higher. Granted, you need to have practiced with what to you might be a new system, but c'est la vie.

I've not done well with a forward mount scope, trying a friend's Savage Scout, offhand shooting. But I'd had some forty years of using conventionally mounted scopes and no prior use of the forward-mount system. I figure it just takes practice, getting used to a new idea. From the bench with another friend's Ruger Scout, some years later than with the Savage (last year, with the Ruger) I was doing okay with slow fire on steel at 200 yards and decent groups at 100.

I dunno. All in all, it's a pretty good rig.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM   #45
DATL

DMacLeod nice looking rig! So far which scope setup do you like the best? I'm torn on the direction I want to go on my GSR. I want a good medium setup between a close quarters .223 assault rifle and a longer range setup 30-06 with a good scope. If that makes any sense. LOL.

How's the quality of those poly mags compared to the metal? I hear a lot of guys are preferring the poly so I suppose they must be pretty good!
Old November 27, 2012, 06:38 PM   #46
DMacLeod

I like the Leupold set up best. No buttons to play with.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:43 PM   #47
boattale

Honesty compels me to opine that I find extended box magazines on bolt rifles clunky and ugly and forward mounted scopes less than optimal. Scout rifles are an interesting concept with limited real world utility. Similar to ching slings.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #48
DATL

boattale, I completely understand the looks and forward mounted scope certainly aren't for everyone. I just get so bored with rifles that look like "grandad's ole aught six", then I also get bored of seeing suburban commando's super elite 50lb sniper rifle with a telescope mounted on the top. I don't find much utility in either of those extremes. (I know that's not what you were implying)

I do feel the scout rifle is ALL about utility though. I have even heard many people refer to it as a "utility rifle". I find utility in the concept of a light weight rifle, a magazine with greater capacity than 3, a picatinny rail, peep sights, short barrel, .308 (or 30-06...or any good sized and common ammo). But then again, I do not enjoy bench shooting for sub MOA. I get too bored, and I certainly get too bored when I have to reload every three or so shots. Oh, and did I mention Jeff Cooper is God
Old December 2, 2012, 04:03 AM   #49
Model12Win

I've been VERY interested in this rifle since it came out, but haven't been stateside long enough to ever find one. I personally would like to see a variant with an 18-20" barrel, no flash suppressor. Also I have read and watched a few videos stating the Ruger M77s and Gunsite Scouts can have a binding bolt if the bolt throw isn't done in a particular fashion.

To me a bolt gun that would be used for any type of defense NEEDS a smooth and fast, trouble-free bolt if at all possible. Have you had any problems with your gun's bolt binding?
Old December 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #50
Chettt

I've only handled them in the store but they seem way overpriced for a bolt action 308. It would be perfect at $400 but they want to add $400 for marketing hype.