The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 05:18 PM   #26
mikejonestkd

WV, thanks for the info, I was about to go into my safe and check out all my front sights....I am hoping Colts use machined Novaks, not MIM ones...
Old June 29, 2013, 06:53 PM   #27
Dan-O

That's asinine that Ruger is willing to spend more on paying for shipping both ways than spending a few extra bucks on a non MIM part.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:03 PM   #28
Brian48

This is just an update. Here is the pic from today. This replacement sight was installed on 14 Jun according to the packing slip. It didn't last two weeks this time.

Old June 29, 2013, 07:38 PM   #29
Grump

Quality FIRST, I don't want to have to actually USE Customer Service

My Dad once said he didn't care about how good someone's warranty was, he just didn't want it to break in the first place.

Yeah, this is nuts.

Couldn't spend a little $$$ on some X-rays or something to inspect the bad batch (and everything coming in from THAT vendor until it never happens again) for latent defects, eh?

Ruger should upgrade you to a Tritium front sight AND send you TWO spares so next time you're not gunless for a week or two. You bought that to shoot it, NOT to have UPS carry it around and Ruger to store it for you.

I would be double-****** if this came down to a too-sharp radius (front, back or both) where the FS post comes up out of the dovetail base. That's pretty fundamental in reducing stress risers, AND stupid-easy to inspect for especially once you're into "known issue" territory.

Novak-designed and made by others, or Novak-made? I want to know who botched this simple small part process so I can evaluate whether to avoid them at all costs myself.

And a Pox on Ruger for using a non-standard dovetail. That's arrogant.

Ruger. We now suck too. And we pretend to not hate you.

Bleh.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:09 PM   #30
WVsig

Quote:
My Dad once said he didn't care about how good someone's warranty was, he just didn't want it to break in the first place.

Yeah, this is nuts.

Couldn't spend a little $$$ on some X-rays or something to inspect the bad batch (and everything coming in from THAT vendor until it never happens again) for latent defects, eh?

Ruger should upgrade you to a Tritium front sight AND send you TWO spares so next time you're not gunless for a week or two. You bought that to shoot it, NOT to have UPS carry it around and Ruger to store it for you.

I would be double-****** if this came down to a too-sharp radius (front, back or both) where the FS post comes up out of the dovetail base. That's pretty fundamental in reducing stress risers, AND stupid-easy to inspect for especially once you're into "known issue" territory.

Novak-designed and made by others, or Novak-made? I want to know who botched this simple small part process so I can evaluate whether to avoid them at all costs myself.

And a Pox on Ruger for using a non-standard dovetail. That's arrogant.

Ruger. We now suck too. And we pretend to not hate you.

Bleh.
Honestly what do you expect from a sub $600 All the bells and whistles 1911? IMHO with the Ruger you get exactly what you paid for.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Rabbitt

Well I did get mine back and managed to make it to the range this weekend. Only put about 4 mags thru it and no problems so far. I hope mine does not do as Brian48's.

BTW WVsig, while they may have sold for under $600 when they came out, around this area you are lucky to find them for $750. I have also noticed that the MSRP is over $800 now.

I understand that may not mean much to others but I did not expect there to be a big problem with Ruger guns.
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old July 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #32
WVsig

Quote:
BTW WVsig, while they may have sold for under $600 when they came out, around this area you are lucky to find them for $750. I have also noticed that the MSRP is over $800 now.
And when the demand dies down they will sell at a considerable discount from MSRP like every other Ruger. People are gauging right now because they can...

I am not knocking Ruger they make solid budget guns but they have never been an example of refinement. They historically have a built like a tank reputation but in recent years almost everything they have produced has had a wide spread defect/production issue or recall. Ruger IMHO is using the public to Beta test...
Old July 1, 2013, 05:36 PM   #33
thedudeabides

Threads like these should be linked every time someone whines about paying 1.5k for a solid entry-level 1911.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Brian48

Just an update. Got a call from Ruger CSR. They're willing to install the fiber optic sight onto the slide at no additional cost. It did require supervisor authorization, but they're willing to do it for all trouble I've been through.

Just to be clear, I've never had a problem with Ruger CSR. This proves once again they're top notch, however the manufacturing side really needs to be find a better solution for this. It can't be cheap to service all these returns for what is a relatively cheap part. Seems to me their CSR would be pretty upset as well having to deal with this issue over and over again.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:29 PM   #35
erob3

I currently own several Ruger .22's and at one time I owned a Ruger P89 and a SR1911, as far as my experience on all of my Rugers they have been flawless. While it must be frustrating and disappointing that the problem exist with the front sight, I do not feel it is a representation to ALL SR1911's. If just 1% of all of the thousands of SR1911's have a broken front sight that means 99% of them are without issue. That's an "A" in anyone's book. Even the upper end 1911's have issues from time to time no matter who makes it. What is the percentage of problems in upper end 1911's compared to lesser priced 1911's? That's another conversation entirely and for that conversation to take place it would require more time than probably anyone has to really research it. All in all, if a broken front sight is the only problem encountered on any pistol........ you're flying. But that does not mean it isn't frustrating, it would be for me.
Old August 6, 2013, 09:29 PM   #36
James K
Member In Memoriam

That kind of thing is the reason I think guns with problems should be returned to the factory. If one has the gun repaired locally, the factory knows nothing of the problem and they can't correct a problem that they don't know about.

I am willing to bet at least a small coffee that Ruger is right now engaged in trying to figure out what went wrong and how to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again. Some companies might kiss off a complaint, but Ruger has a better reputation than that. I would keep going the factory route until the gun is fixed as long as Ruger pays the freight on shipping.

Jim
Old August 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #37
UncleEd

Zing! There went the front sight.

Nope. Not a Ruger 1911.

It was a regular feature for the staked front sights on Colt Governments.
Zing, another launched. And zing again.

Maybe Ruger, with it's sight shearing off, is just trying to emulate the Colt tradition.

Double zing! There went the rear sight.

Nope. Not a Ruger 1911.

It was a regular feature of the Colt Gold Cup with its rear sight held in place by a cheap roll pin. That feature earned a comment in a Mike Hammer movie starring Armand Asante in the '80s. And Patrick Sweeney humorously refers to it in his 2010 book "1911."

Old August 7, 2013, 10:06 AM   #38
Coach Z

I had this happen with a range rental sr1911 when they first came out. Guy at the rental counter swore up and down that I must have dropped it, it took having the RSO come over and explain to him that no in fact I did not drop it to get it sorted out. Thankfully I've got around 500 through my own sr1911 and haven't had the issue
Old August 7, 2013, 12:41 PM   #39
g.willikers

So, are 1911s back to like they were decades ago?
Buy a new one and then send it to a gunsmith to change a bunch of parts, so it works right?
Old August 7, 2013, 01:16 PM   #40
Grant D

Had the same thing happen back in the 80's with a Colt 1911 Officers Model.
Had to have the front sight replaced twice.

Sold it and a Bianchi X15 shoulder holster, and two boxs of ammo for $500.00

(wish I still had it.)
Old September 25, 2013, 06:57 PM   #41
scaira1911

broken front sight

Well I"m glad to finally find a place that talks about real issues. My intention is not to bash anyone. I purchased a Ruger SR1911 about two months ago. My 2nd trip too the range I noticed the front sight sheared off. Ruger sent me a new one no problem. I installed it went to the range to make sure it shot straight it was Great!!! But last week I went back to the range the sight broke off again. I called Novak (because there name is on the sight) They told me they do not provide sights to Ruger & that they do not make cast sights. I refuse to install a replacement of the same stock sight Novak has solid steel machined sights I will spend the $$$ so this doesn't happen again.please share your thoughts or input on this matter.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:23 PM   #42
texagun

Quote:
I refuse to install a replacement of the same stock sight Novak has solid steel machined sights I will spend the $$$ so this doesn't happen again.
Don't blame you at all. What is the Novak model number you are putting on your gun? I've looked at their site and I'm not sure which one would fit the cut on the Ruger.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #43
publius

That's weird, but do not fear, for Ruger has excellent customer service. They will make it right.
Old September 26, 2013, 11:19 AM   #44
scottl

Quote:
I called Novak (because there name is on the sight) They told me they do not provide sights to Ruger & that they do not make cast sights
Sounds like somebody don't know what they are talking about.
Each one of these say made by Novak.And you can plainly read Novak on some of them.You can plainly read Novak on the rear sight on my gun.I don't think Ruger would risk putting something that says Novak on their guns if they didn't come from Novak.
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/579/
Old September 26, 2013, 01:14 PM   #45
Fishbed77

Deleted.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:27 AM   #46
eveled

Scottl, the sights you linked to say NOVAK in the description, and they probably are. They are the accessory sights.

The front sight that comes on the gun, is a $6 part, and the add for that one does not say NOVAK on it. http://shopruger.com/SR1911-FF03200-...uctinfo/64004/

I think we got scammed by Ruger. The spec sheet for the SR1911 clearly says NOVAK 3 dot sights. Meaning all three dots, not just the rear 2. Ed
Old October 2, 2013, 05:34 PM   #47
polyphemus

Quote:
I think we got scammed by Ruger. The spec sheet for the SR1911 clearly says NOVAK 3 dot sights. Meaning all three dots, not just the rear 2. Ed
You are wrong,Ruger clearly says that their SR1911:
Quote:
SIGHTING SYSTEM: Dovetailed, 3-dot sight system features a Novak® LoMount Carry rear and standard front sight that
combines optimal target acquisition in an ideal carry configuration.
You should do your homework before you slander anyone.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #48
hodaka

I better send my Ruger 1911 back. I've got about 500 rounds through my new Commander and the sights are still in place. I must have a lemon.
Old October 4, 2013, 09:13 AM   #49
eveled

How can my post be wrong? I clearly stated what Ruger's spec sheet clearly says. "Novak 3 dot sights". Regardless of what they say elsewhere, my post is talking about their spec sheet, which is misleading at best. It implies that all 3 dots are Novak.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911...eets/6700.html

You should read and understand my post, before you slander me. Have a nice day!
Old October 12, 2013, 10:51 AM   #50
a45burner

broken sr1911sight

Mine just broke, I'm kinda bummed. I hope they don't mess my cerakote finish up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken sight.jpg (198.4 KB, 49 views)