The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 19, 2013, 04:36 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Are FTF gun transactions more popular now?

If they are not, then they never will be.

Most people seem to prefer leaving records. Freedom is buying an SKS behind a McDonalds, or selling a Mini 14 in a Kroger front parking lot.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
FALPhil

They have always been very popular, but you will never find statistics because they are not recorded in a central database.

Guns, like most everything else, are personal property. Personal property changes hands all the time. I have bought several in private transactions; I daresay anyone with even a modest collection has acquired at least one using that method. Heck, I have acquired two very nice rifles at yard sales. And then there are all the guns that get bought and sold by people who see them as commodities, not a hobby.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
SR420

Be extra careful, unsavory elements within our society will attempt to exploit this.
Meet at public place, I like to meet folks in the parking lot of my local gun shop for FTF deals.

Exchanging DL information is a good idea.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
CTS

If such a bill were passed that required all transactions to be done through an ffl, I don't see how they could ever enforce it. If no one has a record that I ever owned a gun then how would they ever know who I sold it to.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
zaphoid

Good point. That's why most if not all proposals to ban FTF transactions include some sort of registration.