The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2006, 07:45 PM   #26
Harley Quinn

I would figure they were/are in the lineage

Of the Doberman. Both being from Germany?

HQ
Old July 30, 2006, 08:04 PM   #27
stephen426

Man those wild hogs sound like mean SOBs. I have an 85 lb. akita. Anyone know how they would do against a hog? I heard they were used for hunting bears. Akitas have an incredible prey drive and chase anything that moves. They are very solid dogs and very intelligent as well. They can also be super agressive with other dogs which means they would probably try and kill the hog. On second thought, maybe not such good idea. Besides, I'm pretty attached to that fur ball. Maybe a guided hunt using someone elses dogs would be a much better idea.
Old July 30, 2006, 09:21 PM   #28
GregR

H&H

Yes, they are amazing little dogs. My clients often laught at my Jack Russell, too, until it finds their gut shot animals. I have a long waiting list for his puppies . Most of the list is comprised of people who made fun of my "little lap dog" until they saw him in action.
Old July 31, 2006, 12:09 AM   #29
H&H,hunter

Harley,

The Jadgterrier is of no relation to the Doberman. They are a mix of an old English black and tan hunting terrier and a fox terrier and possibly one other terrier breed but it slips my mind at the moment.

they were specifically bred to hunt wild hogs. They also are good fox dogs and make a fine bird dog in some instances. In fact several breeders train them to retrieve water fowl! My guys LOVE the water.
Old July 31, 2006, 09:03 AM   #30
FirstFreedom

Hey Stephen, you're right, the Akita was bred to hunt bears and bay them up originally, but I think that American breeders have probably lost a lot of the edge off of those key instincts, by not breeding for working ability. One of my 'girls' is a 91 lb Akita, and yes she's got a pretty good prey drive, but I don't think that she's nearly fast and nimble enough to avoid injury, or even mean & determined enough if she had to fight. But yours may be of entirely different breeding, and much more athletic & tenacious.
Old July 31, 2006, 11:50 AM   #31
stephen426

Quote:
Hey Stephen, you're right, the Akita was bred to hunt bears and bay them up originally, but I think that American breeders have probably lost a lot of the edge off of those key instincts, by not breeding for working ability. One of my 'girls' is a 91 lb Akita, and yes she's got a pretty good prey drive, but I don't think that she's nearly fast and nimble enough to avoid injury, or even mean & determined enough if she had to fight. But yours may be of entirely different breeding, and much more athletic & tenacious.
Akitas are a very strange breed. I think my dog much have some cat in her. When she sees another dog off in the distance, she will drop to the ground and slink towards them like a lion stalking prey. I've also seen her pounce (with all fours) on various things such as lizards, bugs, and an opposum. As for speed, my girl can really run, but not for long distances since the Florida heat is pretty grueling and her with that heavy coat. As for being ferocious, her father (my parents have my dog's parents) is pretty darn agressive and has torn up a few dogs. She has a sweeter disposition but I wouldn't want to tangle with her. Regardless, there is no way I would risk her getting torn up by a hog so I'm most probably going to go with a guided tour. Besides, they are well trained and we will greatly improve our odds of bagging something.
Old July 31, 2006, 12:01 PM   #32
Harley Quinn

H&H

If I was inclined to get another breed of dog. (I have been raising Staffordshire Bull Terriers and lost the last one 12 years ago. I went and decided to go the American Staffordshire. Mistake!)

I neutered her and decided to just have a pet. (She was a great dog and everything about her was very good. The breeder had a clause and I did'nt like it).
So instead of breeding her, I neutered her, she keep coming into false heats and I was not going to show.
Irritated them to the max but it was one way of getting out of the contract.

Where can I go to read and discuss with a good breeder?

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get information on the little "German Hunter" but was unable to come up with what I was looking for.

I did find some old post's of yours. Sorry you have had such a rollercoaster ride with your search and find, then have them perish in one sort of fashion or another.

The one you have must be reaching the first birthday. Do you neuter? I know that some might be better neutered, keeps them on the hunting you want and not other drives.

So any advice as to a direction I can go to find a good one, if so inclined???
Started or pup???

Regards, Gary

HQ

Last edited by Harley Quinn; July 31, 2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Would not print caps in title
Old August 1, 2006, 10:43 PM   #33
Arizona Fusilier

Firstfreedom, looks like we have both learned a lot from this thread. For what its worth, I'd like to address your original question. As I suspect you already know, both the Weimareiner and the Vizsla were bred to be "versatile" hunting dogs, and in addition to pointing and retreiving birds, were also useful in the pursuit of large, and occasionally dangerous game.

Of the two, the Weimareiner sounds like it would be more useful for the style of hunting practiced by most hog hunters today. It is a little larger, more aggressive, and during the middle ages, was taught to bite the rearlegs or gonads of the prey it was pursuing. The Vizsla was also used for boar, but it seems to be more of a tracking/trailing wounded game thing. My Vizsla book shows a picture of a Vizsla baying over a dead boar, which is what they were taught to do in order for the hunter to find them.

I can see some useful traits for boar hunting in my Vizsla, Hussar. When he teases our Border Collie, he engages in incredible kung fu moves, and charges back and forth, in and out as well. He will also go after her hindquarters in a classic prey move, much to her iritation.

When I wanted to get a hunting dog, I wanted a versatile breed, and toyed with the idea of maybe someday turning him loose on mountain lion, or bear. I settled on the Vizsla, mostly on the European history. Problem is, he's shaping up to be a great bird dog, and he's handsome as hell; reading what I have on this thread, I'm not so sure I'd turn him loose on hogs. Ironically, in the Middle Ages, the nobility so highly prized their hunting dogs they actually crafted armor for thier favorites! I am in a medieval reenactment group, and I think I will craft some armor for Hussar, just so he can fit in better!

I might have him track some wounded game in the future. But despite their versatility, it seems that Vizslas should stay home in the castle, and leave the hog hunting to, dare I say, semi-disposable breeds?
Old August 3, 2006, 03:27 PM   #34
ninemm

http://www.texasboars.com/ check this out.
Old August 3, 2006, 04:15 PM   #35
2rugers

We have actually hunted with Douglas Mason and Krystal from ugly dog ranch. Mr. Mason uses a combination of Catahoula Leopard Curs and Catahoula Bulldogs. Krystal also employs Dogo Argentinos as catch dogs. The photos of march 8, 2004 were of our hunt. What a blast!
Also, Dan Moody of "Four Seasons Hunting services", the producer of the video series "Dogs on Hogs" I and II, is a wealth of dog information for hunting wild boar. He uses a pack of black mouth curs and pit bulls for his hunting. I helped film a portion of the "Dogs on Hogs" video part II.
Old August 3, 2006, 09:45 PM   #36
H&H,hunter

Harley I've purchased all of my boys from. Sharon at.

www.knitehunt.homestead.com

All of my males dogs are intact.
Old August 4, 2006, 09:35 PM   #37
The Texican.

when i was a kid, we used our rat terriers to chase all types of game. They worked on site sound and whistles. Granddad kept a pelt of whatever we wanted to hunt on the brazos and the dogs found it if it was there. ran circles around them if they could until we got there and killed it. Hogs were fun, but the stupid dogs did not last long. Kind of like the kid that threw the gernade in the hutch and stood next to the wall. Ate many a meal of wild game. Coons, possums and armadillos are not game and are not fit to cook.

When I was a little tike, 3 or 4, the dogs and i were down at the hay barn anda the dogs were rasing cain around a hole in the hay when i siced the dogs down the hole and they came backing out and dumped a polecat ontop of me and then killed the polecat. Did this twice, before I learned to climb on top of the hay before sicing the dogs on the polecats and skunks. the terriers hated polecats and skunks as much as i did. kept them cleaned out of our area. spent many a time bathing in washtub out in the back yard and slept on the back porch more than once. that was the life for a tike.

For those that do not know, the difference between a polecat and a skunk is you can smell the polecat coming and going and they think that they are kong of the stink unitl you sic the dogs on them. Loved them dogs. We now have two male terrier snoozer mixes and they are starting to show good hunting sign.

smart terriers make good hog dogs, stupid terriers teach the smart terriers how not to hunt. Never went hunting with the terriers that we did not bring home game.

Hunting hogs with dogs depends on what kind of dog the hunter has that you are hunting with. If you are going to raise them, terriers make for a fun hunt.
Old August 13, 2006, 08:01 PM   #38
whiskey

Curs for bay dogs and pit/american bulldogs for catch dogs.
Old August 18, 2006, 12:29 AM   #39
Fat White Boy

In Central California(King City, Paso Robles) the guides I have used use an Airedale-Pitbull mix. It sounds strange but they are fearless...
Old July 16, 2007, 10:08 PM   #40
ninja

hog hunters

Its funny to hear opinions from people who have never hog hunted or who have never used a specific type of dog to hog hunt with. Yes, a pointer will eat a hog up. They are bred to find game and will bay and catch hogs better than most dogs. I have one that will do it, a registered liver and white english pointer. I also have a German shorthair female that I'm starting now. She is a natural find and bay dog. You cannot go wrong with a pointer. I particularly prefer a pointer/hound/cur cross but any of the three will do it. Dogs don't have to be big to bay or catch hogs. My pittbull is 35 lbs and will catch a 300lb boar. People are so worried about dogs getting cut or killed on hogs. I've never seen one killed. I've been to the woods all over the US, I've hunted with all types of dogs and people. I've never seen a dog killed. It does happen, just like a ufc fighter might die in the ring, but not usually. I've seen dogs get cut real bad and in a month their right back out there. It is a good idea to use cut collars and cut vests, but if you don't just realize your dog will get cut, he will heal, he will hunt again. So please people, if you've never done it, just say you really don't know.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:03 AM   #41
Fat White Boy

Scorch- I used a guide in King City that bred Airdales with Pitbulls to hunt pigs. He had 30 dogs over a 22 year career killed by hogs.

I'll tell ya though, there aren't too many things more exciting than being in the back of a pickup going 50 or 60 with a couple of other hunters and 4 or 5 dogs all fired up because they can smell hogs...
Old July 17, 2007, 12:14 AM   #42
GregR

I have seen a half-dozen dogs killed in the last few years, and know some other dogs that didn't make it home although, fortunately, I wasn't on the hunt when it happened. Your own experience may differ. I wouldn't dismiss your opinion, as it is based on your experiences. However, based on my experiences, I don't see how your post could be true. I'm not calling you a liar. Rather, I am pointing out that our opinions are influenced by our experiences, and they're all different.

Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't let one of my Jack Russells hunt hogs. However, I do occasionally turn them loose on wounded hogs (in contrast to my earlier policy of not letting my dogs chase hogs at all) and they seem to perform quite well. Still, I couldn't bear to sew one up or, God forbid, bury one, for the sake of entertainment. I leave the hog hunting to the real hog dogs.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:19 AM   #43
Scorch

FWB-
I knew several guides in the King City/Paso Robles/Hollister area that used pit bulls exclusively. Got them from the pound and trained them themselves. One had lost dozens of dogs over the years. Pit bulls are not afraid of anything, so they are not very cautious, just run right in. i also knew a guy who was breeding pit bulls with Rottweilers. Looked like a giant pit bull. Good dogs, too.

You can use a bird dog to hunt pigs, but bird dogs have been bred to point, which is a withheld lunge. Lots of bird dogs will scent them out, but few will latch on. But Weimaraners were bred in Germany to be a gamekeeper's dog, track and take on anything from boar to stag. I have no doubt bird dogs could take on a pig, but I don't want to take needle and thread to my $1000 bird dogs.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:23 AM   #44
Fat White Boy

Scorch- The guy I used was Nessen Scmidt but that was years ago. I usually go to a guy in Paso Robles, now.

There was a butcher in King City that made the best Wild Boar Sausages I have ever eaten in my life...
Old July 17, 2007, 10:54 AM   #45
piercfh

I have heard of all sorts of dogs baying hogs. Alot of dogs will get in there and bay, but it takes a really gritty dog to go in and grab the pig so you can tie it up or cuff it. I have heard of labs and pointers baying like crazy, and I have even seen beagles bay a hog.

Sounds like you just need a good bay dog. Have you considered the Black Mouth Cur? A man in mississippii named LH Ladner raises some fine ones, and I have been in the woods with a young male that came from his kennels. The bmc's are very loyal and make good pets. The particular ladner cur that I know is very gritty and a very nice pet as well. They are very gentle with children and I have heard of them killign snakes to protect a child.

Check out the Ladner website
http://www2.netdoor.com/~lhladner/
Old July 17, 2007, 12:51 PM   #46
Scorch

Nessen Schmidt? I used to run around with a guy from Paicines named Jef Schmidt. Wonder if they're related? Jef was part of a pretty good-sized family from down around those parts.
Old July 18, 2007, 01:50 AM   #47
Fat White Boy

I went Boar hunting over in Thailand when I was in the army back in the '70's. I went with a local village chief who brought his best pig dog along. It looked like a mangy, malnourished Chihuahua but that little booger could track hogs. The chief shot a 200KG boar with a homemade, black powder muzzle loader. Bigtime feast!!
Old November 9, 2008, 10:15 PM   #48
ninja

Hog hunting facts

I've bayed up hundreds of hogs with lots of different dogs. You can use one good baydog and one good catchdog or you can use one or two dogs that will just find the hog and catch it, like a catahoula bulldog or pittbull cross. Just about every cross has been tried and some dogs from about every cross will bay a hog. If you use cut collars and vests and get to the dogs quick you won't have dead dogs. Cuts are cuts, they will heal up. Most people that get their dogs killed don't use cut collars and cut vests. The cut collars and cut vests cover most of the vital places a hog will try to cut. Pointers are excellent bay dogs and some are straight catch dogs. A buddy of mine has a beagle that is one of the best little hog dogs you'll ever see. Any of the cur, hound or birddog breeds will do it. Another great website to checkout is boardogs.com. Larry parker has some great hog dogs at parkercurdogs.com. I've used jagdterriers and their ok too. Hog hunting is a great sport and on the rise, but we have to be smart and keep our dogs safe by using cut collars and vests. Their is no such thing as a hog dog. The birddog breeders hate the fact that I use a german shorthair but if you look at their history they were bred to be versatile,and the same goes for all the pointer breeds. Bulldogs are great as catchdogs but don't really have the nose most of the time to be a top strike/find dog. Nothing bothers me more than seeing people post ads when they have never done it and are going on heresay. Most hog hunters if you ask them if dogs die while hog hunting will say yes, but if you ask them if they've ever seen it they'll say," no, but I know a buddy that did." And if you dig further you'll find out that about 90% of the time those few dogs that died weren't wearing a cut collar and cut vest. Sometimes hog hunters don't use tracking systems and when the dog doesn't come right back they'll say oh, he probably was killed by a hog or gator. The truth is he's probably lost and on his way to the pound. IF you've never seen it or done it just say so, so the general public is not mislead about this sport.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:22 AM   #49
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I personally know of well over a dozen dead dogs this year. Many were bulldogs while plenty were curr dogs. Once permission has been granted I will post of a recent (this past friday) loss of a great curr dog that was stuck right thru a near new top of the line cut vest. While others were killed when the tusk missed the cut collar by less than 1/4th of an inch... Not all hog dogs die by hogs but many do! I know of very few dogs "lost" most are found that night or the next day. I know of only one that died lost and a couple in the pound but were wearing the required ID collars with owner name and numbers. I also know of too many hunters that have tracked the radio signal each day until they caught the gator and cut their collar out of the belly. And some other dogs pass while caught in a river and just drown.
Brent
Old November 10, 2008, 10:56 AM   #50
L_Killkenny

Nice to see someone else hunting the Jagdterrier on here!!! Great dogs but , like most terriers, they can be a little pigheaded and too smart for their own good.

Try this site: http://jagineb.proboards104.com/index.cgi

I'm not sure, but if I recall correctly you have to sign up to view. These are the hardcore Jagdterrier man and some of the members are the original guys from over in europe. BTW, ask them what they think of Knitehunt kennals.

IF I were looking for a hog dog my short list would be the jagdterrier, the blackmouth cur and the Catahoula dogs.

Don't limit your choices to the bird dogs. Do some research and you will find out how great and vercitile these dogs can be.

CB