The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 3, 2015, 07:10 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

Ar upper advice

This year I decided to enter the world of AR’s. Specifically, I decided to build one. I already have an Aero Precision lower, and parts from PSA and Magpul that will complete the lower once I actually have time to assemble it.

Now I need to choose an upper; and I think I want to buy one complete. Two of the ones I am torn between are an Aero precision upper with a 16” barrel that comes with a 15” Keymod handguard and a nickel boron BCG and standard charging handle (chosen as options) and a BCM upper that is basically identical except it costs more. Or, if I was willing to go with a magpul handguard instead of the keymod it would actually cost less: and I know that BCM builds a quality product, and while I trust Aero precision for sure, what does thefiringline think of their quality vs. BCM?

Any other advice is welcome too.
Old April 4, 2015, 05:12 AM   #2
dave421

I just went through the the same thing. I ended up choosing Aero. I wanted M-Lok instead of Keymod so that made my choice a little easier but I don't think you can go wrong in either case.
Old April 4, 2015, 12:36 PM   #3
8MM Mauser

Thanks.

I'm still waffling on that myself.
Old April 4, 2015, 02:47 PM   #4
dave421

For me it came down to Keymod not allowing bi-directional mounting, poor mounting for polymer stuff, and Magpul making M-Lok an open standard. I figure it'll end up being more popular in the long run (but if not they make everything I want anyway). I do wish M-Lok was as light as Keymod though.
Old April 5, 2015, 07:11 AM   #5
8MM Mauser

I think I am leaning that way too actually. I think I actually like the look of that one better and I am not too concerned about weight.

Thank you for that, that is actually really helpful to me as I didn't know that about the keymod system.
Old April 6, 2015, 10:06 AM   #6
odugrad

I don't have much experience with the keymod handguards. But I think BCM is running a promo where you get a bcg and bcm charging handle for around $70. I don't know if that makes a difference, just wanted to throw that in there.
Old April 6, 2015, 01:12 PM   #7
Duzell

I went with Midwest industries handguards

they offer majority of style and fit, also options in color(unless 308)

very easy install and durable, I like the finish as its a good style for grip and quick shooting, finger grooves and not sharp or burred

Personally like keymod for quick swap method and not needing to take the handgaurd off the the rifle in order to change rails.

aero precision makes good uppers

but there is just a overwhelming number of products that are out there