The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Mattp27

Remington 700 Jewell Trigger

I just received a Jewell trigger for my Rem 700 5r and there were absolutely no instalation instructions. I tried to look on YouTube for a quick video but couldn't seem to find anything.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am good at taking things apart and figuring things out. It looks super simple to change out. I would just like a bit of guidance.

Thanks!
Old February 16, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
zippy13

Mattp27,

Is this what you need: http://www.ada.ru/Guns/remington/Jewell/manual_en.htm ?
Old February 16, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Mattp27

No it came with that. I'm talking about something showing how to install the trigger on the gun. I know it may sound dumb but I have never done this.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
zippy13

IINM, swapping out Remington's OEM trigger is reasonably easy. Check out the OEM trigger group and you'll see that two light pins secure it to the action. Using an appropriately sized punch, tap these pins out. You'll also note the middle lever is unsecured with the pins removed. To mount the new trigger: temporarily remove the pins from the new trigger assembly, align the new trigger group with the pin holes, then tap-in the new pins to secure the new trigger group.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Mattp27

Thanks for the info. I installed the trigger earlier. One problem I can't figure out is the bolt release will stick open sometimes. Has anyone had this issue? I am planing on taking my rifle to a gun smith to have a extended bolt handle on next week so worse case I'll have him look at it.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:24 PM   #6
zplinker

There are minor differences in the triggers, causing some to bind with the stock. Look closely for 'rub' marks in the area that it could affect your new triggers operation, and you'll likely see the problem. Removing a small amount of material in this area should clear this up.
Old April 3, 2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Woolecox

Jewell Trigger Installation Rem 700

Here is a good link for installing the Jewell trigger in a Rem 700:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/remtrigger.html

I have installed three and getting ready to install my 4th when it gets here. I have had to remove material from the stock and trigger housing on two of my guns to get the safety and bolt release to operate freely and smoothly. Two have just dropped right in. Depends on the gun.

A small price to pay for such an excellent trigger.