The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Dilbert

Selling used brass

A lot of my shooting buddies don't reload and I was wondering if I could sell the used brass and how much would be a fair price? We're mostly talking 30-06, 7MM Mag, 357 Mag, 38 Spl, 40 S&W, and 9MM. Any opinions you guys have would be great, thanks.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 9, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2
T-Bear

Run a search on Ebay and you will get a good idea of what to get for them.
Old April 9, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Russ5924

The 9MM and the 40 CAL. are very common on any day I can go to the range and easily pick a few hundred.Now the .38/.357 should be easy to sell seem always a demand for them.The rifle ?????? Like T-bear said check e-bay under Reloading then put an add on here
Old April 9, 2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

Any brass will be worth more replaced in the original box. Mixed range pickup goes cheap. I pay about $12 a thousand for .38 Special mixed. 9mm and .40 would be no more and probably less.

A hundred once fired .30-06 back in the boxes should bring $15 and the magnums might bring $20.

All brass has significant scrap value. Recycling places pay by the pound and you can call them for the current price on brass. It's not a lot, but it's enough to make it worth while keeping a bucket in in the corner of your shop for culls and oddball stuff. Ranges and clubs commonly make several hundred dollars a year off .22 cases swept up from the floor.
Old April 9, 2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

That would be a fair enough price to buy used 30/06 brass in the original boxes for 15 bucks per 100, when you can buy brand new for 6 bucks and some change for a box of 20. 21.49 for a box of 100 brand new pieces of brass. So 15 bucks still might be a little high.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=752107
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=852320

So go to the web sites look at what new brass is going for then adjust your price accordingly. When you decide on what price, give me an email, I would be interested in the /06 and 7mm mag brass.
Old April 9, 2006, 06:21 PM   #6
shooter_john

Ebay

This past hunting season I went out to the nearby public range quite frequently and picked up the empties. I then brought them home, tumbled them, packaged them, and put them on ebay... and found it to be quite worth the time and effort. You could expect a premium on the short mag brass if you get a hold of a decent quantity of that stuff. I mostly sold 30-06 and 270 in lots of 50 or 100, sorted by manufacture, and the harder to find stuff I broke down into smaller lots by manufacture.
Old April 10, 2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Sport45

Definately try eBay. I've seen once-fired brass there sell for more than new brass at Midway. I think people sometimes get carried away bidding because they don't want to "lose". Include a handling fee in the shipping calculator.
Old April 10, 2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Dilbert

Alright, thanks everybody. I don't have that much now, the idea just occured to me recently, but when I have a good amount I'll put an add up on here for it.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 10, 2006, 12:25 PM   #9
BIGRED

picking up brass at the range and selling it is not a great idea unless you can confirm it was new production ammo. picking up someone else reloaded shells could be very dangerous. most of the guys on ebay are getting the brass from gun manufacturers or ammo test houses. you don't want someone getting hurt or killed just so you can make a quick buck or 2.
Old April 10, 2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Russ5924

I would guess myself that better than half the Brass sold on E-bay is range pickup.I know some I have gotten still had some grass in the bags
Old April 11, 2006, 11:01 AM   #11
BIGRED

still doesn't make it right...
Old April 11, 2006, 11:40 AM   #12
AlaskaMike

There's nothing at all wrong with selling mixed-headstamp range pick-up brass, as long as the buyer understands that's what it is.

Mike
Old April 20, 2006, 08:28 PM   #13
bjmanersr

Thats true but

Many lie about it so I've gotten to the point I assume its range brass.
Old April 20, 2006, 08:39 PM   #14
joneb

Well I have a problem with this, for example some people trim down 9mm brass to load for 9x18 Makarov . As far as I'm concerned range brass is good for scrap . I would not in good consious sell it.
Old April 21, 2006, 06:56 AM   #15
leckie66

range brass especially once fired is a great I have shot many of sub moa with range brass,,as handloaders we know how to keep out brass in lots..as a shooter i finf my self shooting a large amount of ammo in one sitting also have designated firearms that I burn the barrels on,,my choice ammo is labeled and marked accordingly,,,I never seen a tin can or woodchuck complain about it if someone uses range brass on an alaskan kodiak hunt he would be a dammed fool,,,and by the way if you contac gi brass you can get good deald on surplus powder,,,but you have to be a handloader to do it,,not a bookworm ,,,bring on the brass ,,especially the mag brass as handloaders we know what to look for in used brass
Old April 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #16
AlaskaMike

What I meant by "as long as the buyer understands" is that any seller is always obligated to be completely open and honest about what is being sold. If the seller is selling 9x18mm brass and says "please note this is 9mm parabellum brass trimmed down", there's nothing remotely wrong with that. On the other hand, if he says it's virgin brass when it's really trimmed down range pick-up material, he deserves to be beaten mercilously with a length of rusty rebar.

Hope that clarifies my earlier post,
Mike