The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 12:32 AM   #51
Eagleks

I may get some flack about this, but ..... going to say it , you may not have an adrenaline dump. It depends upon your past experiences, how you handle emergencies, your personality and a host of things.

In an emergency , etc..... I concentrate on what needs to be done, and don't get an adrenaline dump at all. I've been in many from gun fights, to trying to get people out of burning cars, house, extreme car accidents, etc. As a past time, I was on an emergency trauma and extraction crew in Grand Prix racing. Now, once it's all over ..... and I think about what just happened, I may have gotten one at that point.

When working on my pilots license, in one "check ride" while landing ..... the instructor will yell, scream out, yell out "we're all going to die " .. "or you are going to crash and kill us " ...... and will bump and hit the controls, etc. and about everything he can to shake you up, stress you, etc.... and see how well you handle it if a passenger got scared and went beserk on you.

My response to him was ..... "if you keep that up and touch any of those controls one more time, I'm going to knock you out ". After we landed he told me "that was pretty convincing, would you have actually knocked me out ? " .... my honest answer "yes" .

You are making one good assumption though (in my mind) , the more you can practice, experience or duplicate things that might cause high stress and an adrenaline dump, the more likely you will not have one when things count the most.

* Paint ball ..... competitions (those things hurt).
* IDPA
* Police training course.
* 3 gun shoot competitions

Last edited by Eagleks; October 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:32 PM   #52
stormin1155

Ever notice that when you are highly emotional (anger, fear) you say and do stupid things? That is because high emotions affect your body the same way a physical threat does. Your sympathetic nervous system kicks in, releasing adrenaline, redirecting blood flow from places like your digestive system and frontal cortex (dumbing you down) to your major muscle groups, preparing you for fight or flight. This is true... I'm not making it up.

....so thinking about your divorce settlement should do the trick.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:57 PM   #53
Corrections Cop

1 Word "Simunitions" Go find some training that uses simunitions. I had some before, thats the closest thing to getting actually shot at. You use real guns, and you can feal it when you get shot. As my instructer told us it will make you feal the "pucker factor". That will simulate a real life shooting situation, and will dump your adrenaline!
Old October 26, 2012, 12:35 AM   #54
Silverbullit

Close your eyes and imagine waking up next to Nancy Pelosi.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:35 AM   #55
wgsigs

How about just holding your breath for as long as you can until it really gets uncomfortable - and just before you pass out?