The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 15, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
eric75

AR sight heights

With all the mix and match AR parts out there, how do I find front and rear sight hardware that is a compatible height?

I have a flat top Stag AR-15 with the factory front sight/gas block and a no-brand detachable carry handle sight that I obtained from a gun show. After sighting in, the rear sight is lowered all the way and the front post is up so high that it wobbles.

Is any one knowledgeable enough about AR specifications to advise me on this topic? I would consider buying a better quality rear sight, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is .125" too high.

I've seen that the front posts are available in different heights, But I wouldn't want to go any taller because it already sticks above the guards.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
B-Man-Spikes

Related question about a FastFire red-dot sight height...

I have a flattop Spikes Tactical upper assembly in my AR-15 (M-4), and I have a MagPul flip-up rear sight with an A2 front sight. I swapped some work for a buddy for his almost new Burris FastFireII red-dot sight. As I looked at mounting it, the red-dot hits midway up the A2 front sight post. I haven't seem an high-riser platforms to mount it on so it can level up to the correct position for my A2 front sight. Do these exist at gun shops. I haven't seen any online yet. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to cut down or remove the A2 front sight if possible.

thanks in advance...
Old May 22, 2011, 09:42 PM   #3
eric75

B-man thanks for the bump.
Most people with rod dots like you have either leave off the font sight (by installing a gas block that doesn't have one) or use a picatinny detachable folding front sight that attaches to the gas block or the handguard.

I don't recommend elevating the red dot above the front sight because then your that puts your head in a position that does not promote good accuracy.

Please chime in if you know the answer to my original question. Or feel free to comment on B-man's situation.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
DnPRK

Many people will set up their red dots to co-witness with their iron sights.

If your flattop rifle doesn't have the taller F-marked front sight base, you can adjust by installing an extended front sight post for $15.99.