The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 10, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Therapydude2

Awesome experience with LE sign off on my Form 1

In another thread, I stated that I am making a SBR out of a Sig 556 pistol via ATF form 1. I got really lucky with my law enforcement sign off for my Form 1. Went to the sheriff's office on my lunch break and he signed both of my Form 1s on the spot. Afterward, I got fingerprinted (took my own cards). The whole visit took about 15 minutes. Bought the gun Saturday, had my paperwork off to ATF by Monday afternoon.

My sheriff had signed off on a previous form 1 for me last year. I dropped the paperwork off and they called me about 2 hours later to come pick it up. Didn't really expect him to sign it "on the spot" this time. Guess I just got lucky.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
PCJim

You are fortunate to live in an area where CLEO will sign off. In my county, no CLEO nor Judge will sign off for fear of their careers.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Therapydude2

I think what helps is the fact that there is a large class III gun dealer in my county (where I buy all my guns). He deals a lot with local law enforcement (city police and sheriff's dept). I think having a good relationship with them helps a lot with regard to civilians being able to secure the needed signature for class III items.
Old February 11, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I think refusing to sign would be detrimental to the career of my Sheriff. For one thing how many gun grabbers know what a SBR, form one or anything else is.