The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 7, 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
300magman

New Scope for my YellowJacket

Well, I've got a new Remington 597 yellow jacket, heavy barrel .22lr and now I need a good scope.
I use this gun for hunting rabbits in dense cover and sometimes I have to take shots no more than 10 feet. But I also target shoot at 25 yards and I want to tinker with it a bit until I can plink cans and crows at 200 yards.

That said, I need a scope that is fairly light...but I'm willing to go up to 18 ounces if I must. Priority one is on clear optics that will focus well at Very close ranges and high zooms (I hate it when I'm looking at that 25 yard target and the crosshairs get blury...as they do now when I turn my current scope up past 5X)
Good light gathering is always appreciated as are decent adjustments...though it is a .22, and I don't need perfection as I tend to set it and leave it more or less alone. And of course, no less than 9x zoom is preferred (though more could be alright) as cans and crows look pretty small at 200 yards.

I don't want to break the bank either...perhaps $250 as an absolute maximum, though under $150 would be nice.
I'm currently considering the Bushnell Banner 3.5-10X36 as bushnell claims it is made for close focusing on rimfire rifles. This scope is slightly heavy but otherwise is just about the size I like, my only concern is quality. Does anyone have any experience with this scope or can you all suggest something that will work better for me?
Old November 7, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
NineInchNails

Well I think you might need another rifle

Sorry ... what I mean is with a wide range like 10' - 200 yards you may want 2 rifles and 2 scopes. One with less magnification and one for higher magnification. I only say that because I imagine that 9x min magnification for targets 10' away could be difficult.

For instance I have a Ruger 10/22 that I have zeroed in on my wife's bird feeders I use it to schwack black birds. I literally put one right in their eye and sometimes I can pick off 2-3 in one shot if they are lined up right I could make adjustments in order to fire out at farther ranges, but that's not too quick if you know what I mean.

I have another .22 rifle that's more for 'all other purposes'. I have it zeroed in at 100 yards. If I'm firing at something that's around 25 yds away then I'm hitting it a little low. If I'm firing at something that more like 125-150 yds then I'm hitting it a little high.

When it comes to shootin kinda close you may want a fixed magnification scope. Perhaps something like 4x or 6x magnification which will give you something like this:

If you're shooting out to 100-200 yds then I'd go with something like a 3-9x40 or a 6-24x40. Personally I have the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 and it's REAL nice. Now I wish I had the 4200 6-24x40 so I can have more magnification. I tried shooting out to 200 yds with my Bushmaster Varminter .223 and had trouble keeping a tight group ... I like to blame the lack of magnification I was hitting a human size silhouette, but lacked control of where I was hitting it.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:46 AM   #3
300magman

So what scope are you using for zeroing at close distance? ... do you find to very clear?
Old November 10, 2008, 12:13 PM   #4
NineInchNails

Since this is just a bird plinker, I mounted the least expensive scope I own. It's a NcStar Mark III 6-24x50. Its REAL overkill, but since it has a paralax adjustment , an adjustment on the objective lense, and the magnification can also be adjusted. Once I zeroed in this scope to the range of the bird feeders I leave all settings alone. Once set at this range I can see the retina of the bird’s eye ball. I wouldn’t put this scope on a ‘go-to weapon’ but it works on a .22 for plinking birds.

I’m sure a similar scope may sound like exactly what you were looking for in your original post/question … but these settings are not fun to change on the fly IMO. It’s just a personal preference … that’s why I suggested 2 scopes and 2 rifles. Some highly experienced riflemen ‘might’ laugh at this suggestion and attribute my preference to inexperience , but that’s just my preference.

Imagine walking through the woods with such a highly magnified scope that is currently set at such a close range. You see your target jump out, but it’s out at about 50-75 yds. You have to adjust your paralax, adjust your objective (zoom), maybe your eye piece (which focuses your cross hairs), and finally compensate for the range difference. Not verry tactical and not speedy in my opinion.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:18 PM   #5
300magman

yeah, difinetly looking for something more subtle than that...3-9x30 up to 3-12x40 is about my range.

I just want one that focuses well at shorter ranges and is nice and clear.