The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 1999, 12:08 PM   #1
Duncan

I haven't see this covered, but I am curious as to people's thoughts on the best quality surplus 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) ammo as well as best bang for the buck.

To start, I vote quality as Hirtenberger (German, I believe), in part because it is boxer primed, and "best bang for the buck" as the Portuguese FN manufactured stuff.

Both are cleaner than the other stuff I've seen and shot (corroded and fouled gas tubes are among the things that I hate).

I am curious about some of the British made stuff currently being sold by www.ammoman.com, so if any of you have any experience with that, I thank you.

Duncan
Old August 26, 1999, 01:21 PM   #2
JJR

I bought a case of that British .308 from ammoman.com and I've been happy with it so far. It's accurate and shoots very clean. The brass itself is a bit "gummy" and dirty from 15 years of storage in old ammo cans. My only .308 is a bolt gun so it doesn't really affect me but the brass may need to be wiped down before it will be reliable in an auto rifle. It also may just be the case with the can that I bought.

You should probably move this thread to the "Rifles" section. I think you'd get more responses.

[This message has been edited by JJR (edited August 26, 1999).]