The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
jason75979

Ar 15 gas block conversion

Alright guys tell me the pros and cons of installing a gas system on my ar, and what is a good manufacturer to purchase the merchandise. Standard DPMS A3 upper, 223 or 5.56. Also what all do i need to purchase to make this conversion if i deem it cost effective or necessary?
Old November 21, 2009, 11:42 PM   #2
DnPRK

I don't understand your question.
AR-15 already have a gas system.
Do you mean to convert from gas system to a piston system?
Old November 22, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Alleykat

The question, as posed, is fallacious, per DnPRK's post.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Slamfire

While I don't like the current gas system on AR's/M4, I am not convinced that a bolt on gas piston system is materially better.

One guy reported having slamfires with winchester factory ammunition. That extra weight added to the carrier increased forward momentum. The soft WSR primer was going off as soon as the firing pin bounced off it.

If the weapon system was being designed new, I would go with a gas piston. But modifying an existing design, I don't know. Bolt on's, adapters, etc, they have not seen as much field use or development testing as the existing system. Could be the cure, could be a problem.

The current AR system is mechanically reliable, and if kept clean, will function adequately. It is more maintenance heavy than other designs, but just clean your rifle after you fire it and lube the heck out of it.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
jason75979

Unfamiliar with ars

My original question after further research sounded really stupid. I'm new to ARs and didn't know the internal workings. Slamfire answered my question. I hunt in west texas and the arid conditions mean dust covers everything. Would a gas piston conversion be more suitable for this environment. After a five minute drive in our Rhinos or 4-whlrs everything is covered in an orange iron ore dust. And I was thinking of changing upper assemblies to a 243. Would this correct the slamfire problem?
Old December 1, 2009, 01:02 AM   #6
10-96

If your AR's currently shoot .223, .204, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39, or anything along that line- you cant swap uppers to shoot the .243 ctg- that's in the AR-10 family. And, there's things you can fabricate to keep the dust down such as altering a small kids cold weather vest and sewing up the arm holes and such. But, if you live in places like we do- ya just learn to adapt.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.