The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 1998, 02:25 PM   #1
Walt Welch

I have commenced reloading for the .45 Auto Rim on my Dillon 550. I am having problems with bullet set back. The only bullet I have been able to successfully reload is the Speer 200 gr. JHP 'flying ashtray,' as it has a cannelure.

I even bought a Lee collet crimper to apply a final crimp. The doggone bullets still slip back (Winchester 230gr. JHP, Rem 185 gr. JHP). The same bullets, loaded on my Dillon Square Deal B, work just fine in .45 ACP. I am using Dillon dies, and new Rem cases.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Thanks, Walt
Old December 13, 1998, 07:25 PM   #2
Contender

Walt, I have a CH taper crimp die that I use in the 357 mag. With this die it is possible to crimp to the point (without knowing) that it will be impossible to pull the bullets with a puller of any type(to say nothing about what it does to pressures). Used carefully however, it works very well and is not too critical to case length.

As a side thought, do you think you could go to a smaller expander to afford more grip on the bullet at the case sides? Just a thought.
4D makes the die now.
Take Care
Old December 13, 1998, 11:24 PM   #3
dundee

Walt
As the previous writer said, try removing the Dillon expansion tool and polish it down a couple of thousands. Be careful not to get it out of round. This should help increase bullet pull. Years ago I stopped using Remington 45 brass because it was to thin. I had the same difficulty as you have and could only load lead bullet that were of larger diameter than the jacketed. If you can find this caliber in another brand grab some and your problems will probably be solved.
Old December 15, 1998, 08:32 PM   #4
Walt Welch

Thanks, guys, both of these solutions had occured to me. I believe Rem to be the sole producer of .45 Auto Rim; but would be happily surprised if someone else can find another source.

I am considering sending back the expander plug to Dillon for reduction in dia.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses. Walt
Old December 16, 1998, 01:36 PM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you tried Starline or BEL?
Old December 16, 1998, 01:48 PM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Just did a search. The Old Western Scrounger has bulk 45 Auto Rim 100/20.25. Don't know mfgr.Go to www.snowcrest.net/oldwest/cat3.html. This is a reputable outfit that has been around for quite awhile.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-16-98).]
Old September 1, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7
Dale53

I feel silly posting to this thread that is nine years old. Well, maybe "Better late than never?"

Years ago I had problems with Remington .45 ACP Brass finding it to be too thin. My sizing die did not size it far enough to have proper case neck tension. It was NOT a case of having too large an expander. The thin brass was not sized enough with my dies.

My solution was simply to limit myself to Government cases. They were much heavier and case neck tension was no longer a problem.

Dale53