The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Would you use this powder?

Bought a big "can" (plastic jug) of Accurate No. 7 for $5 at an estate, about 1/2 full. The decedent was a big reloader, and allegedly (by his family) very meticulous/organized about things. The jug has a retail price tag on it of $74.95 for what that is worth. Anyway, 99% chance that it's really accurate No.7 - but I suppose 1% chance of him having poured a different powder into that jug. So, questions...

What does AA No. 7 look like (ball, flake, etc)?

Would you use it without reservation if it looks like AA No. 7?

Thanks.
Old August 29, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
45Marlin carbine

I've never used any AA powder so can't describe. if you do identify would not hurt to access data for #7 and load a few on the light side for test.
Old August 29, 2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Ball process.
Old August 29, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

VERY tiny balls, with some on the flattened side.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 29, 2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Scorch

$74.95 sounds like a fairly recent price, possibly a year or two. I would go ahead and use it.
Old August 29, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
joneb

Well it looks this or that, my old AA#7 looks like AA#5 and my new AA#7 looks like AA#9. It would be good to know what other AA powders the departed used, if there was a AA#9 contamination no biggy, but if the jug were mixed with # 5 or #2 that could be trouble. Some AA powders look very similar for this I would be careful.
Attachment 26535
Old August 29, 2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Sevens

If it were me, I'd buy a new one pound can of the stuff and do a visual comparison. If it looked good, hell yes I'd use it. I'd start with some light loads and see if they performed like light loads.

Gotta say though... if you found the stuff and you paid five of your own dollars for it... it seems to me you already have your intentions pretty much settled. Otherwise, why on earth would you spend even 10 cents on it? To save someone else from blowing themself up?

Or are you just trying to show us what a helluva great deal you got?
(I gotta start looking for these estate sales!)

I'd have to take issue with your claim of 1% chance it's mixed or mis-identified. Fact is, it could be or it isn't, you can't logically say with any real confidence what percent the chances are. Cause in my mind, if I were holding a 50-round box of ammo that I handloaded myself and I knew for certain there was a 1% chance it was going to destroy my gun or blow off half my face... I'd toss the ammo and probably quit handloading!
Old August 30, 2007, 09:11 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

Well, ok, fair question. ACTUALLY, when I say "I bought it" - *I* bought it through a friend who went to the sale for himself & me - I just used a shorthand description of the actual events. Friend doesn't reload. BUT, I did make the decision over the phone from my friend's description of everything I said, including the meticulousness part. I was swayed by that issue, and just by the seemingly good deal on it, I suppose. But of course I had in the back of my mind that I could identify it visually. Got a case trimmer too.

Thanks all on the descriptions & warnings (jibjab) - that really helps. I'll try minimum loads first, of course. This is a good powder 10mm, & just about any pistols, correct?

Sevens, you are correct that I cannot properly identify the % chance of it being wrong. Regardless, I will TREAT it like a pistol powder, not a rifle powder. It would be a lot more risky to take what I *thought* was a rifle powder, which was actually a pistol powder, and used in in a rifle, than the present opposite situation of *thinking* it's a pistol powder, but it actually (possibly) being a rifle powder - I'm going to use it in pistols rounds, of course, and so in the unlikely event it's a rifle powder, the pressures will be less, not more. I'll watch out for squibs the first batch.
Old August 30, 2007, 10:50 AM   #9
FM12

If you'll send it to me, I'll shoot it and there will be no concern abour YOUR safety!!
Old August 30, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
FirstFreedom

make that "estate sale" from post #1, first sentence, not just "estate".

Mike I:

Quote:
VERY tiny balls, with some on the flattened side.
I'm sorry to hear that. Oh wait, you mean the *powder*! Thanks, that helps.
Old August 30, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11
TATER

I cant imagine any competent reloader pouring different powder
Into a jug without defacing the old label and replacing with a new..
Then again, his passing wasn’t a range mishap was it?
Old August 30, 2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Wildalaska

I dont use "used" powder bought from a garage sale. My ggod looks are too important to risk

WildymmvAlaska TM
Old August 30, 2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Sevens

Life is a series of calculated risks. We have discussions like these often in the motorcycle forums. I'd use the hell out of it and ask the widow if she's got any more.
Old August 30, 2007, 01:47 PM   #14
DennisD

Would I have bought it: NO! Would I use it: NO!

Now if you had a setup like a lead sled and could pull the trigger with a long string. Then if everything seemed to go OK, check the case for overpressure signs. And that's only if you are willing to sacrifice a gun to possible damage. Nope, still not worth it to me.

You asked for opinions, that's mine.

NRA Life
Old August 30, 2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Walkalong

AA# 7 is very very fine, finer than AA #5.

AA #2 is grey, and not flattened much, so no problem with that being mistaken for #7.

I would be confident in my ability to differentiate it, but if you are not familiar with those powders find someone who is. Chances are very good it is in the right jug.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Powders can and do vary from batch to batch. I agree with Walkalong that #2 is grayish looking in bulk, but using a high power magnifier, my #7 was ever so slightly larger flattened balls than #5. #9 is very fine compared to the other 3. IMO, #5 and #7 look similar under magnification.
Old August 30, 2007, 08:37 PM   #17
Walkalong

Quote:
IMO, #5 and #7 look similar under magnification
Cannot argue there. Lots do vary.

Use # 5 load data, check it with a chrono, and you will soon know.

Accurate gives a max load of #5 for a 200 Gr. Jacketed bullet as 9.7 Grs for 1050 FPS (Sierra FPJ).

Accurate gives a max load of #5 for a 200 Gr. Jacketed bullet as 12.0 Grs for 1036 FPS (Hornady XTP).

There are other loads with a big difference in charge weights between AA #5 & AA #7 where you could check it.

Accurate
Old August 31, 2007, 12:48 AM   #18
joneb

Well looks can be deceiving, AA powders might be made here or the Czech Republic or ? It may not look the same but it should have the same burn rate ? I have noticed considerable differences with AA #7 powders.
Old August 31, 2007, 01:20 PM   #19
Slamfire

Quote:
I have noticed considerable differences with AA #7 powders.
I think this is true for all AA powders. You have to develop loads with the lot that you have.

So go out and shoot some of that stuff. Use a chronograph and see if the velocities you are getting are consisitant with the book values.

If yes, Yippie!

If not, go develop the loads. Start low, and chronograph as you go. Stay within book velocities and as long as you are not developing blown primers or sticking cases, the future will be wonderful.