The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 11, 2006, 03:34 PM   #76
FirstFreedom

Quote:
One day, during squirrel season, I knew she was going grocery shopping. Silence of the squirrels.

P.S. OK, guys, I think LC has been adequately hazed/flamed at this point.
Old June 11, 2006, 04:02 PM   #77
leadcounsel

Deleted. I'm folding on the conversation.
Old June 11, 2006, 10:42 PM   #78
swampdog

First Freedom,
You call that hazing/flaming? You ought to go to a linux forum and go on about the benefits of windowsXP. Then, you'll see real hazing. Those people are, for the most part, extremely liberal, too.

We have pecan trees in my yard. Every 2 years, the pecans drop and we end up with a rat problem. Instead of using poison, like most of liberal suburbia would, I sit out back with a .22 revolver and cb's. I enjoy blowing their nasty little heads off and they don't go out and poison poor little coyotes like the one in NYC, or hawks or owls or bald eagles, etc.... Obviously, I don't eat rat . Is this unethical? Why, because it's a rat?? Or because I enjoy it? Rats are pretty smart. After you pop a couple, the rest will look at where you were sitting before coming out. Kind of like squirrels, but smaller. I hear it tastes like chicken but there are some places I just won't eat at.

I've used linux since 1999. The clowns getting flamed on linux forums usually deserve it, just like someone else I won't mention. If anyone is interested in using a free, secure, well supported by forums like this one, operating system, feel free to PM me. All it takes is good bandwidth, an old computer, and a little bit of time.

I liked that turn of phrase, too, btw.
Old June 12, 2006, 02:32 AM   #79
chemist308

Quote:
Anyway, this is a challenge to all you varmint hunters out there. Tell me why it's OK
This isn't a challange against varmint hunting. It's a challange for better stew recipes
Old June 13, 2006, 02:47 PM   #80
Anthony2

Quote:
That's probably the biggest part of the problems of today, anyhow: Yeah, everybody has the right to have an opinion. Nowhere is it written that all these opinions have meaning, relevancy, or the value of a teaspoon of warm spit.
+1 For that.

LC-Why do you put yourself in these conversations if you don't want or respect the views being given?

I spent my weekend trying to sight in my .177 only to figure out some 30 shots and adjustments into the process that someone ruined the scope. For a gun that didn't come with a rear iron sight this is extremely inconvenient. Needless to say, the rats with wings(blackbirds, crows, etc.) are gaining in numbers in my absence.:barf:

Oh well, the war rages on...

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old June 13, 2006, 04:42 PM   #81
swampdog

Anthony2,

I haven't had much luck with scopes on air rifles. The weird recoil of a high powered air rifle does bad things to all but expensive scopes. I had an old leupold on a rws that did fine, but I ended up putting a peep sight on it. Depending on how your scope is mounted, you can probably buy one that will mount right up. You ought to try it, I think you'll find at airgun ranges it's all you need.

Good luck with the "war".
Old June 13, 2006, 05:22 PM   #82
Sharps

If you want to hunt varmits then by all means do so, why would you live by the standards or opinions of other's? Hunting groundhogs in the summer is a lot of fun, even if you just use your deer rifle.
Old June 13, 2006, 05:45 PM   #83
OuTcAsT

Quote:
Hunting groundhogs in the summer is a lot of fun,

No to mention they are delicious when baked with sweet potatoes

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 14, 2006, 01:56 AM   #84
Twycross

Quote:
The weird recoil of a high powered air rifle does bad things to all but expensive scopes.
Spring piston airguns recoil both forwards and backwards, and require specially made airguns scopes. The dual recoil will batter most conventional scopes apart. I don't know if this is an issue with any other propulsion methods, but for spring-pistons at least, a double-braced scope is a definite 'must have.'
Old June 14, 2006, 11:39 AM   #85
dfaugh

I sorta follow the "don't shoot it if you're not gonna eat it philosphy", but only up to a point...

I shoot pidgeons that get in my barn, because the crap all over everything, and can carry disease...

Gonna start shooting coyote, 'cause my buddy has just started a "sheep ranch" and need them gone (we've only recently gotten significant coyote populations here, but they're already a problem.)

On the other hand I have a couple woodchucks that live in the woods on the edges of my lawn (but on my property). they occasionally come out and graze in the lawn, but they don't do any real harm so I leave them alone.

So, I really only shoot things I'm not gonna eat if they are causing problems.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 14, 2006, 11:53 AM   #86
1BadF350

I would like to point out that hunters and fisherman, through the purchases of their licenses, contibute more money to wildlife conservation efforts nationwide than any other group. Most people talk the talk but hunters and fisherman walk the walk.
Old June 14, 2006, 02:29 PM   #87
Hedley

I have always wanted broaden by bird hunting to include varminting. Question is...where do you guys find the land to do it on on? I haven't hunted since a young teanager, and have since lost the lease when the owner died some years ago. Do huge landowners let you on for free for your services rendered or are all of you just lucky enough to have your own acreage? I'm in central Texas, and would love to go on a varmit hunt...is there a specific season, or is open year round?
Old June 14, 2006, 10:01 PM   #88
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In Texas, if you're on your own land, varmint hunting doesn't require a license. Otherwise, the inexpensive general hunting license is all that's necessary. (I always get the Grand Slam hunting/fishing combo.)

Coyotes, bobcats and cougars are not protected. (You do need a trapper's license if you want to sell furs as a commercial endeavor.) Feral hogs are always open season.

Check around feed/seed stores in rural areas and ask. Same in gunshops, here and there. Heck, drive around on Sunday afternoons, and ask.

Art
Old June 15, 2006, 04:17 PM   #89
CrazyLarry

there are no ethics in varmint hunting, that's why it is so fun lol. However, I follow only one rule- nothing deserves to suffer