The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2012, 10:33 AM   #1
larzb93

Best Trigger for a Remington 700

i am currently trying to make my 700 .308 target tactical as accurate as possible. i am looking for the best trigger. any help would be great.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Scorch

Jewell makes pretty much the best field/target trigger. If you are looking at benchrest, Jewell makes a pretty good trigger. You cn buy them from Midway, Brownells, etc.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3
larzb93

would i be better of getting my stock trigger smithed?
Old February 7, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Scorch

That is a question between you and your finances. A Jewell trigger is far better than any tuned factory trigger.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:35 AM   #5
melchloboo

For target work cg extreme makes a very adjustable trigger:

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index...=cgxtrememod22

I got one but have not installed yet, so I can't comment on it yet...
Old February 8, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Timney is another good trigger, that often gets the nod for its durability under adverse field conditions.

Rifle Basix is another option. I believe Shilen also makes one.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my stock Remington Xmark (internal adjustment only model), which is adjusted down to about 4# even, and has no creep or overtravel. If I upgrade, it will be to the Timney.
Old February 12, 2012, 09:52 AM   #7
hooligan1

I have a Timney and no doubt it's nice but for my "mauser project" wer'e going with Jewell, because of their reputation, and because it's different than the Timney.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
OEF-Vet

I am looking at the Rifle Basix for my 700 build. I like the fact that it has a fair range of adjustment. I have never owned one so I can't vouch for it but it's the trigger I am considering.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/585...st-2006-silver
If any of you guys have any experience with these triggers I would like to hear about it.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old February 12, 2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Harry Bonar

trigger

Sir;
The trigger you already have can be set lite enough!
Harry B.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Jerry45

Don’t know what year your 700 is. Mine is early 70’s model and the “tuned” factory trigger is excellent. It has “no” take-up, brakes like glass at about 1 ½ to 2 Lbs and has 0 over travel. How to tune http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html Now some newer factory 700 triggers are beyond help.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Guybo

Over the years i've owned 10 remington rifles and the only one that i couldn't get the trigger adjusted to my liking was a Sendero. I put a Timney in that one and it worked out good. The four Remingtons i currently own all have the stock trigger in them. Two of them are set at 2.6# and the other two are set at 3#. All four break like glass, nice and clean.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12
cornbush

I have my factory trigger on my el cheapo 78 sportsman (model 700) .270 set at 28 ounces and it breaks like glass, most can be reworked very cheap.........
Old February 15, 2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Inspector3711

Quote:
I am looking at the Rifle Basix for my 700 build. I like the fact that it has a fair range of adjustment. I have never owned one so I can't vouch for it but it's the trigger I am considering.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/585...st-2006-silver
If any of you guys have any experience with these triggers I would like to hear about it.
I have two Rifle Basix triggers in my 700's. I like them just fine, far superior to the factory triggers they replaced. They'll help you set it over the phone.

Can't speak for Jewel but I hear they are fantastic.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:04 PM   #14
bighickery

When doing a lot of gunsmithing in the 70's and 80's I did a lot of work on the
700 rifles. I was able to work with some very good gunsmiths in them years and was taught to never take a 700 trigger below 3 lb. Many of the issues Remington had with their triggers was this very issue(IMHO). If you need below that get a trigger designed for it. In my opinion unless your gun is a match rifle it does not need to be below 3lb. Especially if for hunting. Remington sealed those screws for a reason.

Bighickery
Old February 15, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Jerry45

“Remington sealed those screws for a reason.” Yep! Liability reasons! If a person follows the safety rules (isn’t a moron) there is no reason not to set the trigger to break where you want it to. Don’t climb trees with a round in the chamber, don’t point it at other people and point it at the berm, at the ground (mud) or a big tree when unloading and it will never be a problem. That’s the same rules that should be followed with any firearm. People make too big a deal about the 700 trigger. The trigger was never the problem. What was/is the problem is people trusting a mechanical device to replace their brain.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16
OEF-Vet

Thanks Inspector3711.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old February 15, 2012, 10:37 PM   #17
tobnpr

Which trigger do you have? X-Mark? X-Mark Pro?

My son has a 700 with an X-Mrk we bought 1-1/2 years ago, and we pulled it for a Timney. IMO, Timney is the best balance between a match-grade trigger and $$...

I did have an opportunity over the weekend to try the trigger on a 700 AAC while we were waiting for a line at the range- and I was impressed with the newer X-Mark Pro, enough so that I would probably keep it instead of switching it out like I have with Rem triggers in the past.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Roger G

At this point in time I dont have a target rifle but one is on the way. In the late 70's I was doing alot of target and varmit shooting. FN/Douglas/Timney Targetmaster/Weaver 10Xand Bishop Custom Sporter stck. IF I recall correctly the Timney was set at 18oz.There were four of us with custom rifles.We all had trigger setting in that neighborhood.
We never had an accidental discharge. AS the man said point it at the mud or tree or off in space when cycling and never climb trees or fences with a round in the chamber. Follow these simple rules an all will be fine.
But to the Question(sorry) I personally like the Timney Targetmaster.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #19
William T. Watts

Remington has had a lot of bad press about accidental discharges, anytime trigger work is preformed it's one more avenue for a lawyer to explot. With that said I do not know any one anywhere I would trust to monkey with my triggers except me. I am schooled trained with all the reference material to assist me for Remington, Winchester and the after market Timney triggers (I like them). As long as factory instructions are followed I see no problem, just be sure what ever you do the fellow has formal Gunsmith training and not what is learned in his back shop! I would not touch a sear setting unless I knew for certain that someone had changed the factory setting. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; February 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Tags
700 , remington , trigger