The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Duke City Six

Odd attachment problem

I'm puzzled. A while back, I added a jpeg attachment to a post in a thread on the revolver forum ("S&W model 64 question"). Initially, when I clicked on it, it was displayed. No problem. Now, when I click on it, I get a message about downloading an application (?), and even though I'm logged in that doesn't work either. I can view a jpeg attachment in another post on the same thread. I'd like to edit my post and delete the attachment so that other members do not have this problem with my image, but I can no longer edit my post.

Last edited by Duke City Six; February 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Duke City Six

p.s.

By the way, the question was answered and other good photos were posted. Mods, feel free to delete my post completely if that's easiest.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I assume this is the post you're talking about: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...94#post4925394

There's nothing wrong with the attachment, it shows up as the image you intended it to be. I suspect you may have a virus or some form of malware that is intercepting your view of the image - that's how they work. Just to be safe you should scan your system for any such virus or spyware.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Duke City Six

Wow. Thanks, Mal. I'm glad the attachment is working, but now I'm a little spooked. I'll look into it.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Looks fine to me.

Code:
Accept-Ranges:bytes
Cache-control:max-age=31536000, private
Content-Length:87145
Content-disposition:inline; filename="sw1.jpg"
Content-transfer-encoding:binary
Content-type:image/jpeg
Date:Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:40:32 GMT
ETag:"77998"
Expires:Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:40:32 GMT
Last-Modified:Wed, 25 Jan 2012 04:16:39 GMT
Server:Apache/1.3.42
Vary:User-Agent
X-Content-Type-Options:nosniff
X-Frame-Options:SAMEORIGIN
X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies:none
X-UA-Compatible:IE=7
Are you using a proxy perhaps that's turning the mime type image/jpeg into some sort of unrecognized binary type?

Or perhaps your browser broke somehow and forgot that it knows how to display jpegs?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 3, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Duke City Six

tyme,
That's the funny thing. I can view stevieboy's image in the post right after mine just fine, and, as I said, mine used to work too. I just checked mine again and I'm still getting the weird app download message. I'm running an early version of Mac OSX, which I think isn't normally known for viruses. Could be, as Mal H said, spyware or malware.

I also looked up one of my old posts with a jpeg attached, and I can view that one. Very weird.

Last edited by Duke City Six; February 4, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old February 3, 2012, 09:46 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

I don't know much about Safari. If you know a way to use Safari's web inspector to view the raw http request and response headers, check to make sure the response Content-Type header is "image/jpeg"

Anyhow, if you can try to load the image again I'm logging some stuff that may help figure out what's going on.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 4, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Duke City Six

Well, I'm not sure what happened, but the problem just went away all by itself. I attached the image here as a link to the original post and after viewing it, I deleted it and went back to the original and now it works.

I'll admit that I'm not very skilled in online image management. I'm more of a desktop, cd, paper and ink sort of guy. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for your help. Maybe my computer hasn't been infected after all.

Last edited by Duke City Six; February 4, 2012 at 02:05 AM.