The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2000, 12:23 PM   #1
Steve Smith

Sierra says it's ok, but Dillon says "it's ok, but be carefull"

What are your experiences with this?
Old October 25, 2000, 05:36 PM   #2
johnwill

I've only used it a couple of times, and I made a habit of tapping on the powder measure to make things settle each time.
Old October 25, 2000, 06:09 PM   #3
Gewehr98

I run IMR4895 through my Dillon RL-550's measure all the time for .308 Win, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, and .32 Remington. What's the problem?
Old October 25, 2000, 06:50 PM   #4
El Rojo

I have had a problem, but it was easily fixed and just required some attention. If you tighten the powder measure screw that is on the side of the measure and holds the bar arm onto the bar too tight, your measure will not fall back down with gravity. That means that the case is already out of that hole when the bar comes back, spilling powder all over the place and screwing up your charges.

Now my screw is too lose and sometimes the pin that sticks in that little plastic thing on the side of the bar comes lose and the bar will just sit there as I continue to cycle the machine. This resulted in me loading a bunch of ammo without powder! That was bad especially when I found out on the 600 yard line during my NM Course.

You can get some really accurate loads with the measure if you just pay attention and keep consistancy. The other thing I try to do is screw the powder bell down enough where the powder bar goes all the way over to the end of the measure so all of the powder gets pushed out of the cup.

And finally, if you buy a AT 500 powder die and powder funnel, you can replace the auto-powder measure and scale measure your loads and then dump the powder down the funnel. I have found an easy cycle for this that lets me load extremely consistant loads in a relatively short amount of time because I can still prime, powder charge, seat, and crimp with one crank of the handle.

So go for it, and good luck.
Old October 25, 2000, 09:49 PM   #5
Steve Smith

Thanks, guys...sounds like I'll be fine.
Old October 26, 2000, 10:50 AM   #6
Bogie

Get the Lee perfect powder measure, and the case-activated charging gizmo. Replace the Dillon thingy. The Lee does a pretty decent job with stick powders.

Old October 26, 2000, 11:08 PM   #7
alan

Like most powder measures, the one on dillon press works best with "ball" powders, flake powders cxome in second, stick powders come in LAST, due to shearing of particles.

As I recall, using the old 4895, I believe that there is a newer, "short cut" type, I found charge consistency sufficient for 600 yard shooting using a 308 bolt gun.

You might try the "short cut" 4895, or some of the spherical propellants (ball powder)