The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 27, 2023, 07:12 AM   #1
MTT TL

California Doubles Sales Tax on Firearms and Bans Carry in Public Places

Several other pieces of legislation were passed. They openly admit the laws are unconstitutional and they are conducting a reconnaissance to see what will fly. This isn't really surprising for California.

Quote:
The laws were some of nearly two dozen gun control measures Newsom signed on Tuesday. But he acknowledged many of these laws might not survive legal challenges now that the U.S. Supreme Court has imposed a new standard on interpreting the nation's gun laws. Just last week, a federal judge struck down a California law banning guns with detachable magazines that carry more than 10 rounds — one of three major pending cases challenging California's gun restrictions.
Note that the ban on carry in public is practically everywhere in public and a de facto ban on concealed carry.

More discussion of several of the laws at the link.

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/...school-safety/
Old September 27, 2023, 07:52 AM   #2
Recycled bullet

So does this mean that all the gang related shooting and murders that happens in public will completely stop immediately right??

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
Old September 27, 2023, 11:02 AM   #3
MTT TL

Correct. Target is reconsidering closing all of their San Fransisco area stores now and keeping them open as their concerns on violent crime have now all been addressed.
Old September 27, 2023, 12:18 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

When govt officials come right out and say they are wasting their time, and our money to see what they can get away with, I'd say its past time for a change, and more than just one...

Seems to me we should be more concerned with the gas coming from the front end of politicians than the gas from the back end of cows...
Old September 27, 2023, 02:38 PM   #5
MTT TL

Here is the bill. It is pretty large.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...d=202320240SB2
Old September 27, 2023, 03:29 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I saw an online article yesterday from the LA Times and even they were against the new gun & ammo tax.

Seems they think it is unfair to tax a specific group and use the money for programs meant to "benefit" everyone.

Can't say I disagree with the principle there.
Old September 27, 2023, 06:21 PM   #7
Recycled bullet

That bill is pretty large!

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
Old September 27, 2023, 07:10 PM   #8
MTT TL

This is another bill that was signed into law. Requires micro stamping by 2028. Also pistols must be drop safe, have a chamber indicator and other qualities.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...202320240SB452

I don't know of any guns for sale that currently micro stamp so it should be entertaining.
Old September 27, 2023, 07:14 PM   #9
MTT TL

Here is the tax bill:

https://trackbill.com/bill/californi...e-tax/2282304/

Also a long tedious one.
Old September 27, 2023, 07:20 PM   #10
MTT TL

Red Flag Laws and Pre-Trial Diversion law

https://legiscan.com/CA/text/AB455/id/2764267
Old September 28, 2023, 03:18 AM   #11
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
This is another bill that was signed into law. Requires micro stamping by 2028. Also pistols must be drop safe, have a chamber indicator and other qualities.

I don't know of any guns for sale that currently micro stamp so it should be entertaining.
Isn't that going to have an issue with the approved for sale list?
Old September 28, 2023, 06:01 AM   #12
Wag

And, of course, nothing to affect criminals.

--Wag--
Old September 28, 2023, 06:43 AM   #13
pricedo

Quote:
Several other pieces of legislation were passed. They openly admit the laws are unconstitutional and they are conducting a reconnaissance to see what will fly. This isn't really surprising for California.

Note that the ban on carry in public is practically everywhere in public and a de facto ban on concealed carry.

More discussion of several of the laws at the link.

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/...school-safety/
More nonsense from the libtards that won't survive a court challenge
Old September 28, 2023, 08:01 AM   #14
MTT TL

Quote:
Isn't that going to have an issue with the approved for sale list?
The only issue would be if you wanted to have guns on a list approved for sale. If you didn't want any guns to be sold it wouldn't be an issue.
Old September 28, 2023, 11:12 AM   #15
LeverGunFan

Quote:

There is no provision in this bill that exempts police or military... are they exempted by another act from a requirement to purchase weapons only on the California approved roster?
Old September 28, 2023, 11:36 AM   #16
MTT TL

Quote:
There is no provision in this bill that exempts police or military... are they exempted by another act from a requirement to purchase weapons only on the California approved roster?
The military doesn't care. They won't be sourcing their firearms in California and California can't regulate them. If anyone needs microstamping it is the police. So I'm 100% in favor of that.
Old September 28, 2023, 12:53 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Am not a CA resident and what I know of CA law is all hearsay, check with someone there who knows the law to be sure, but from what I've heard, existing CA law (not the new ones just passed) allowed individual LE officers to purchase, for their own personal use, pistols that were in state, but not on the CA approved list.

And then there's microstamping...a deceptively simple seeming "solution" to a lot of problems, or so its claimed. Yet another example of politicians being sold a bill of goods, passing laws, and then leaving it up to us to figure out how to comply and shoulder all expenses and effort reaching for an unattainable goal.

IF you were around back then, you might recall that the original laws requiring microstamping were shut down because the technology was at the time, proprietary. ONE company owned the rights to the process. Personally I can't think of a better business model than a law requiring everyone to use your product. The word monopoly comes to mind.

In order for microstamping to actually work as a benefit in solving crimes, you'd need full registration and a complete functional database of all micro stamped guns, and even that can only track up to the last legal point of sale.

And then, there that old school thingy... what were they called again?,,, oh yeah, REVOLVERS!!!

I do agree that if anyone should be required to use the tech, it should be the police (and by extension, all armed govt agents). First off, the database would be smaller, and so easier to manage, (and cheaper, hopefully), second if only official govt agents used microstamp guns, that instantly clears them if the brass found at the crime scene isn't stamped, and if it is, directly implicates those individual officers who's guns it came from. THAT sounds like something that might be possible, to me, and it would be at general taxpayer expense, not coming out of the pockets of individual consumers.

CA might be the land of dreams, but recent decades have shown too many of those dreams being put into law are pipe dreams and/or nightmares.
Old September 28, 2023, 02:04 PM   #18
JERRYS.

Post 13, it will most certainly survive many challenges in court over the years.
Old September 28, 2023, 02:52 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
it will most certainly survive many challenges in court over the years.
It certainly would, before the Supreme Court ordered a restructuring of how lower courts look at gun control laws. Today, it is possible it might go down in flames on its first round of challenges and appeals.

One can but hope....
Old September 28, 2023, 03:53 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Today, it is possible it might go down in flames on its first round of challenges and appeals.
Problem is, each of those challenges and appeals costs our side money and time. They know this. I spoke with a friend at the FPC, and he heard from one state lawmaker who said that was EXACTLY the point: wearing us down through attrition.
Old September 28, 2023, 04:51 PM   #21
LeverGunFan

Quote:
The military doesn't care. They won't be sourcing their firearms in California and California can't regulate them. If anyone needs microstamping it is the police. So I'm 100% in favor of that.
I was thinking of the California National Guard units, which are normally under the command of the governor. Usually National Guard units receive equipment from the federal supply system, but could California attempt to make their own requirements for microstamped duty firearms?

If microstamping is such a great idea for civilians, there shouldn't be any exceptions for anyone else.
Old September 28, 2023, 08:43 PM   #22
MTT TL

Quote:
I was thinking of the California National Guard units
National Guard units all use Federal weapons and equipment. This became mandatory after WWI when many units were unable to field effective equipment.

The militia, or the California State Guard might run afoul of issues as they source their own gear.
Old September 29, 2023, 12:26 AM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Just take a look at the name, National Guard.

Not State Guard, not state milita, but National Guard. During peacetime, they are under control of the state Gov, but they can and have been Federalized in war. So they are not only equipped with Fed standard (or secondary standard) equipment, but also their training and organization is specifically done to allow smooth integration with full time active Federal forces.

The state Governor can activate and call them out, (something they can't do with the Army Reserve), but other than that, (and, I think the state pays the troops) state control is limited.

Active duty military based in CA (or any state) can, and will tell the state government to pee up a rope (If they are feeling polite) when it comes to state gun control laws, and many other things, unless specifically ordered to do otherwise by higher Fed authority.
Old September 29, 2023, 05:53 AM   #24
BarryLee

This is scary and obviously an example of the inmates running the asylum. It seems they are much more sympathetic to criminals than law abiding citizens. What confuses me more is why the Citizens of California continue to vote for them. Sadly, I see a growing lack of knowledge in current events and how Government works her in my state and worry this is slow downward National trend.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 29, 2023, 06:20 AM   #25
Nathan

I ask you to look again. Where is the permission slip so all rich people can form security teams with whatever they want? Has to be in there. All gun control has to have an “unless you are rich claus.” These people are rich, important, anti gun and surrounded 24/7 by security.