The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Jeff2131

need some hard to find data

Hey guys, i came into 500rnds of sierra 22cal .224dia 40gr moly coated bullets. Im set up and ready to reload but i cant seem to find the load data for this bullet. I am using the nosler 6th edition manual and it has a 40gr spitz balistic tip data but nothing about a moly coat. I wrote nosler and they told me they do not have data for any moly bullets and cant tell me anything about it as far as data goes. Just for the specifics, im using once fired .223 brass, federal small rifle primers, and IMR4198 powder. I always load middle of the road so the .nosler manual says 22grains for that powder and the 40gr spitz round. What do i do with the moly round? Is it safe to stick with 22gr charge? Will i encounter any unsafe issues? Any info would be.much appreciated. And just an fyi if it matters, i will be shooting these round through my CORE15 rifle systems AR.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Hummer70

Moly coated bullets will give you a lower velocity once the bore gets coated with the moly. Just use the Sierra handbook and do what it says for that weight bullet.

I suspect it is primarily for the 22 Hornet though so it may not list loads for 40 gr. in 223.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT
Old February 20, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Jeff2131

Just got a response back from sierra and the buy said that they suggest a 22gr load with a max of 23.4 grains. I have no experience with moly coats but at this point, with .223 being so hard to get, ya take and use what ya can get your hands on i guess. Thanx
Old February 20, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

I have extensive expierience with moly. As another poster stated they tend to run slower than non moly coated bullets of the same type using load data for non coated bullets. This is due to the fact that the coating being so slick the bullets break free of the cases much easier and pressures are lower as a result due to the ease of which they travel down the barrel. What this amounts to as long as your case capacity will allow it is to increase your powder charges at least 1% and in my tests closer to 2% to achieve the same pressure and speed data for non coated bullets. I have loaded for several different calibres using this basis for my loads while using a chrony and measuring carefully for any increased prfessure signs with no issues. The benefit has more often than not been lower deviation in speeds and often times better grouping. Point to note most factory coated bullets have way too much excess moly on them and I recommend to wipe them down quite briskly with paper towels or old t-shirts etc. before you load them. This will help reduce build up in your barrel. PM me if you neen more insight.

10 Spot

Last edited by 10 Spot Terminator; February 20, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Jeff2131

Thanx, very insightful! My main purpose for this question was simply to avoid a potentially dangerous situation....either a stuck bullet in my barrel or an expensive gun repair bill or even a trip to the hospital....lol. i am new to reloading and have only done .308 for my ruger m77 mark II. All has gone well with that and ive kept the loads right in the middle of the min and max. I just shoot for fun and i shoot ALOT! Usually clay targets and bottles. I do use reactive targets but im not too too concerned with pin pointing accuracy. Just so long as i can hit a target at 100 yards . The ruger has been amazingly spot on so far with my reloads and i hope my AR is the same. I simply use a red dot and at 100-150 yards i can hit my target every time. I just wanted to make sure i had the problem load info so i can go shpot without blowing my gun or face apart. This will be my first time loading .223 and the moly coated 40grs were the only thing available to purchase....**** is getting real tough to find. Luckily, the guys at the range leave thier brass so i scavenge it up and have collected about 500 rnds so far. All cleaned, primed, and in good shape. As soon as my bullets get here im gonna start crankin them out. Would it hurt to put the mollies in the tumbler and let the walnut shell take off the excess coating?
Old February 20, 2013, 05:09 PM   #6
243winxb

Only load a few rounds, till you see if the action will cycle. http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
Old February 23, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Jeff2131

Success! Loaded 25 rounds and went to the range. Not a single problem and casing looked great afterward. Stuck with a 22gr charge of imr4198. Thanx for the help everyone.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8
10 Spot Terminator

Just saw your question about using your tumbler to clean the excess moly from your bullets and the answer is yes you can but you most likely wont want to. Moly tends to transfer itself to everything it touches with a vengence. When I bought my tumbler I was able to buy extra bowls for it and one is dedicated for anything to do with moly including making my own coated bullets. If you use your tumbler to clean the moly it will of course contaminate your media which if you have enough you can just remove it and store it for later use for the same thing but dont recommend putting any brass in with that media. You can wipe the bowl down afterwards with a good stringent cleaner such as acetone or even bore cleaner and will be good to go on your brass cleaning again with new media of course. Any questions as to moly just shoot me a PM .

10 Spot
Old February 24, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Jeff2131

Yep, used the.tumbler to clean off the moly...worked great. I have about 50lbs of walnut shell so i dont mind. I chucked the media after i was done. Just got done loading 300 rounds and it went well!
Old February 24, 2013, 08:23 PM   #10
reynolds357

I love moly. I have a few bores I keep moly coated. Moly coated bullets in a moly coated bore makes for almost never cleaning. You can load up some screaming velocities, but you have to use fast powder for that cartridge and a lot of it.