The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
thesheepdog

G22 vs G17 (Gen 4's)

Which would you rather buy and why? Go!!

For me, I would go for the G17, because the 9mm is more than enough for defensive purposes, and it will be a backup to my shotgun or rifle. My logic is I don't need more power, on the basis that the G17 holds 17+ rounds of moderate to hot loads, and the bad guy isn't going to notice a difference; the shooter will (recoil).

Also, I love the .40, .45, .357 Sig etc. I am just more concerned about fighting my way back to my shotgun or rifle, and hitting my target where it counts (head, CNS, Vascular System)
Old January 4, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
tahunua001

I have yet to shoot a decent glock 22. every one I've shot has jammed, burped, farted or otherwise malfunctioned. have had similar instances with glock 17s but not in the frequency that the 22s have had. however with all of the reports of new production gen 3s and no serial range in particular of the Gen 4s having recurring issues I doubt I will ever buy a glock. they have ruined the design that was held as the gold standard of polymer pistols for decades and their pretentious slogan of "perfection" is a slap in the face to to the many gun makers that struggle for years to achieve what they have thrown away with the Gen4.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
LockedBreech

In Gen 4 I'd trust the 22 much more.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Noreaster

I have both in Gen 4 and they have been flawless. The new RSA seems to help recoil with the 40S&W round. If you get the 40S&W you have the option of a 357 sig barrel with no other modifications needed, (yes the mags work.) The difference in ammo price is smaller then it's ever been with cheap 9mm at $13.00 a box and 40S&W at $15.00. Also the current ammo shortage doesn't seem to be effecting 40S&W.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
ToddG

I got a Gen 4 22 a year ago, and a LWD 9mm barrel and lighter springs. Now I can carry a .40 but practice with both a 9 and .40 to save some $$. Until recently .40 was 20-30% higher priced. I find the .40 barrel doesn't go in very often any more. Once I got the right spring combination in it feeds fine. Takes all of about 15 seconds to make the switch.

Also got an AA .22 top end for even cheaper fun and training.

And I didn't know about the .357 Sig working the same way. Did need 9mm mags tho I suppose the .40s may work.

I hear of a similar trick turns a somewhat available M&P Shield 40 into the made-of-unobtanium Shield 9.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Valerko

I had same dilemma between 34 and 35.
Here's my take
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6NXjbnNdk
Old January 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Get a 3rd Gen. 17 and you'll be MILES ahead..they can keep the 4th gen... and any of the .40 S&Ws for that matter.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:31 AM   #8
bigghoss

I'll take the 9mm G17. I have shot a G22 and personally didn't notice much difference in recoil but I'm sure I'd feel it in the subcompacts. 9mm is much cheaper, not that much less effective, and the +2 capacity is nice.

If I didn't feel the 9mm was adequate I'd skip the .40 and go to a .45
Old January 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
jasmith85

If it was to be a range gun I would go with 9mm but for anything else I'd go with the Glock 22.