The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Noreaster

Foster slugs from rifled barrel

Anyone shoot lead foster type slugs from a fully rifled barrel. I'm wondering about excessive leading? Just had a range session sighting in sabot slugs in my fully rifled barrel and at $16.00 a box it got old real quick.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
PetahW

I don't think you'll find commercial Foster-type slug any/much cheaper.

Old December 4, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I shoot them in 12, 16 and 20 gauge both rifled and smooth bore barrels. Accuracy is close to the same with either barrel and leading is not a problem. Just run your wet rag then brass brush through the barrel and don't let it build up, there will be no problem.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 4, 2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Noreaster

Good to hear. I was always told that the rifling would grab the soft lead and become a smoothbore. I rarely shoot over 50yds. The accuracy with sabots is good but I just put a new set of sights on and running sabots through it getting it sighted in doubled the cost of the sights.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Booone

I'm not a great shot and I was flinching at the end of sighting in my mossberg 500 cantilever scope barrel, but I got about a 10" 7-shot group using Winchester Super-x slugs at 100 yards.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
g.willikers

Plain, ordinary slugs are often on sale after deer hunting season, especially in areas that only allow shotguns to be used.
At reasonable distances, they seem to do quite well in rifled barrels.
Try them and see if yours likes them, too.
What's to lose?
They are about $5 to $7 per box from the mail order houses.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=6071
Old December 4, 2012, 03:43 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Boone that is respectable at that range for those slugs. I get pie.plate size groups at 65 yards offhand with bead, cyl bore 18 inch.

Brent
Old December 4, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8
kimbershot

shot fosters all the time out of my encore rifled slug gun. very accurate, hard hitting and much cheaper than sabots. ps--deer didn't seem to notice the difference.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:47 PM   #9
ohiomossyoak

I shot the cheap Federal rifled slugs out of a Mberg 500 rifled barrel/rifled sights this year..I was keeping 3 shot groups the size of my palm at 75yrds off a rest,this was while allowing about 1 minute or 2 between shots...I plan to add a scope an find out what sabots it likes.My buddy is getting the same groups with sabots out of his at 150 yrds...But for 75yrds an under theses rifled slugs seemed fine....I am no expert,but keep the barrel clean and it should be fine
Old December 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
cdmckane

I've shot foster slugs through my Savage 220, but I get better accuracy out to 200 yds with Hornady SST sabots. I'm in a shotgun only county but often hunt bean and hay fields where 200 isn't a rare shot. I'll take accuracy at hunting distances over saving a few bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 5, 2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Noreaster

Range today!
I fired Winchester 1oz rifled slugs today, 25 five of em! The barrel was dirtier then I've ever seen it but it seemed to clean up quickly using Hoppes Elite. I'm going to leave CLP in the barrel over night and I will recheck tomorrow and see if I get any more residue on a patch. Total cost of 25 rifled slugs was a few cents less then one box of sabots, but I haven't bought rifled slugs in ten years and every box was under $3.00, (usually bought at Wally world at the end of the season.) I have a ton of Winchester and Federal 1oz slugs!

At 50 yds I got one ragged hole shooting three shot groups, every time. Went to 100 yds and my first group was about 8 inches, (size of my hand.) Not good enough. I did a couple more and they were both under 6 inches, easily covered by my hand. All the 100 yd groups would have been much smaller but I always got one flier. The other problem was my front sight completely covered the target at 100yds. Only about four inches low at 100yds (my palm covered the drop.)

Something interesting. Shooting off a sandbag I was about an inch and a half low at 50yds. I didn't have a screw driver small enough to adjust the sight so I had to leave it there. Shooting off hand or on my elbows I was an inch high at 50yds, right where I wanted to be. Don't know why this happened but it worked out. I was limited to 50 & 100 yards. I would like to try it at 75 yds but I couldn't. Overall I'm very happy with the rifled slugs. I feel much more confident with the setup after shooting 25 rds today. Putting a couple boxes of sabots through it wasn't enough. I'll keep an eye on the barrel for leading.