The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2007, 02:41 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Powder Measure Advice

Shooters:
A friend is starting in reloading and needs advice about a suitable powder measure. He probably will only be doing pistol. I bought my measures back in the '60's, a Lyman #55 and some kind of Redding. A few years back I got a Lil' Dandy for pistol, and I like it but the rotors are now $11 !!! What about the Lee? It uses some kind of disc system I am not familiar with at all.
Your much-valued suggestions please! Thanks!

Gascheck
Old February 20, 2007, 09:38 AM   #2
rwilson452

The Lee measure your thinking of is the Autodisk measure. I would suggest the pro model. it costs a little more but it works better. I would also suggest you spend the $10 to get the micro adjustable charge bar if it doesn't come with it. I think they stared selling them that way. but check to be sure.

I think the Lee 4 die pistol die sets are the best buy on the market.
Old February 20, 2007, 09:51 AM   #3
ECLIPSE45ACP

I agree, I use the regular auto disk for 45, 9mm, and 357 mag( 1 for each)
I have had no issues. The Lee dies are outstanding as well.....
Old February 20, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
benedict1

What press is he using? Make sure the Lee Pro Auto Disk will fit on it. If not, then the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is what he wants. Really need more information on this.

Re: Lee Dies; they are outstanding.
Old February 20, 2007, 12:27 PM   #5
HSMITH

I don't think much of the Lee measures, they work well with some powders, don't work well with others and with some powders they are a nightmare. I would advise your friend to spend a little money and get a good measure the first time.
Old February 20, 2007, 07:05 PM   #6
TEDDY

The Lee Measure Uses Fixed Cavities. So Once You Set Them They Do Not Move I Use 4 Measures.some For Pistol Some For Rifle.most Measures Have Problems With Diferant Powders.i Have Rcbs & Redding And A Pacific.i Do Not Worry About Small Variances Because I Dont Load To Max.did You Know Dillons Measure Is Based On Lees.mainly Watch That The Powder Does Not Clump.iv Had Trouble With Rcbs But Do Not Blame The Measure.yrs Ago Reloaders Used Take A Cartridge Case As A Measure.befor Ww2 There Were Few Tools.molds Are About The Same Then As Now.
Wildcatt
Old February 20, 2007, 08:45 PM   #7
GASCHECK

Powder Measure Advice

Shooters:
My friend will probably get the Lee Classic Turret press. I have advised him to use it as a single stage for a while until he gets experience. After that, I don't know if he will go progressive or not. So far, he is just loading 38 and 45ACP.

I am glad to know Lee dies are well thought of. I have just bought a set and have advised him to get Lee's also.

How about a digital scale? I bought a Dillion when they first came out and paid a bundle. I used it for years but it was a real pain as I always had to re-zero it. I called Dillon and they said "That's the way they are!" He sounded irritated. Finally I got a little Hornady and there is no problem with keeping zero. I would recommend it, but have they changed any? What do you advise to buy?

The problem with me is I have not have had to buy any reloading equipment for years, so I haven't kept up.

Thanks!
Gascheck
Old February 24, 2007, 06:45 AM   #8
PsychoKnight

Special deal on Classic Turret Press Kit w/ dies & both Safey Primer systems for $145

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

add the $9.95 "PRO" AutoDisk upgrade

Do not add the "lever primer system" (misnamed, any how its included in their kit)
Old February 24, 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
cheygriz

Get the Redding! The very best is always the cheapest in the long run. And nobody, not even RCBS ot Lyman, makes a meassure comparable to the Redding.
Old February 24, 2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Ammo Junky

The RCBS is very functional. I doubt any loads shot under 300 yd will ever be any different than weighed charges. Yes the redding is better. If I were gona upgrade from the rcbs Id spend for the harrell / cluver type.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old February 25, 2007, 03:15 AM   #11
amamnn

If your buddy has the money, tell him to skip all the BS and go right to the PACT or RCBS ot Lyman digital scale/ powder dispenser system. It will save hours and hours and hours of headaches and frustration. I've been handloading for 50 years come April and I wish they had these tools back when I started.
Old February 25, 2007, 08:30 AM   #12
jsflagstad

If I was going to upgrade from my RCBS

If I were going to upgrade from my RCBS to something else, I would go to the Lee Pro Autodisk. No, wait...I already did. Yes, that is correct I do consider it an upgrade. I now throw way more charges with the Lee than the RCBS because I like it better. I have found that most of the people who have trouble with Lee products usually are not following the directions correctly. I speak from experience, cause I am one of them. In defense of this, there are a couple of Lee's products that coulduse a bit better directions.
Old March 10, 2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Vinnie's Dad

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Hornady powder measure. I am going between the hornady and rcbs. I want to be able to use it on my 650. I'm not sure if the redding will convert onto the 650. Any ideas??