The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
kingudaroad

what happened to my rockchucker?

This is probably a dumb question, and you all can flame me if I didn't read all the directions, but my rockchucker wont catch primers anymore. It used to catch about 95 percent in the little plastic saddle deal, but now they fall into the hollow part of the ram and the onto the floor. Every one! What gives here?
Old January 17, 2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

What I want to know is how did it catch that 95% in the beginning? Primers going everywhere with the Rockchucker is standard operating procedure.

There was a good thread around here about what some have done to alleviate the problem. I'll see if I can find it.

Personally, I have added a piece of stiff cardboard to the catcher that increases the area the primer can hit. I'm catching roughly 100%, but every now and then one gets away.

[Added]
Here's one of the threads: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=161938

But that isn't the one I was thinking about. That thread had an excellent design by a member made of aluminum sheet that was ingenious.
Old January 17, 2006, 05:26 PM   #3
RERICK

mine didn't cach any where near 95 % more like 10. If you want a good press that caches every primer check out the Redding T7 turret.That thing not only caches every primer its like 3 times as fast as a Rock Chucker and can do it as good if not better.Sell that thing on Ebay and don't look back.Thats what I did.
Natchez still has them for like 169.00
Old January 17, 2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Daniel BOON

ssshhhhh heres my secret

My dad bought a one lung 'chucker in the early '60's, when he passed, I inherited it; it keeps chug chug chugging along. oh yea, the primers. heres my secret: once a month I bend over and pick up the ones on the floor. its part of the reloading experience
Old January 18, 2006, 01:32 AM   #5
joneb

surfing the gun forums , priceless. thanks guys, I needed that
Old January 18, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
CINDERDICK

What happened to my rockchucker

Here is how I handled the problem you describe:

(1) Go to your local ice cream shop (Dairy Queen, Mr Softie. Twisters etc)

(2) Get one of the plastic straws they issue with their products. (These are a little larger in diameter than fountain drinks).

(3) Tuck the straw in the groove in press ram after cutting it about 1/4 to 3/8th inch shorter the the length of the ram groove, with the top end just under the shellholder in the ram. Cut the bottom of straw at an angle with the angle facing the rear of the groove in ram, CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT CLEARS as the ram moves up & down.

Now the spent primer falls down the tube (straw) and just rolls out in primer catcher. NO MESS ON FLOOR.

AND IT'S FREE.
Old January 18, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
kingudaroad

How about the nerve of RCBS making a bad design and then asking $12 for a different shaped stupid little piece of plastic that is supposed to do the same thing that the original stupid little piece of plastic failed to do.I think their trying to screw me twice!
Old January 18, 2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

CINDERDICK - By George, that is elegant in its simplicity! It works like a champ! I might be throwing away my cardboard backstop (pat. pend.).

And in return here's another tip using the oversized straws: I also use them for .22 magazines for my tube fed Marlin 39. Tape one end, load 'em up (bullets down) and set 'em in a tall can. You can completely load a tube magazine in about 5 seconds.
Old January 18, 2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Countertop

CINDERDICK,

THink that would work with a Lee Turrett Press???

I'm gonna hit 7-11 to get the straw and try it out this week.
Old January 18, 2006, 05:47 PM   #10
Plated

I made a "sheild" that deflects them as they come down the groove in the ram. I basically use a stiff cardboard material(the backer that gives leagle pads there regidity works great!). I wedge part of it in the slot where the primer arm is supposed to me mounted. The part that deflects the primer is small and not in the way of reaching for the case.

I know this is vauge...I will try and get a picture of it tonight and past again tomorrow showing what it looks like. De-primed about 200 cases last night with no primers to get off the floor!

I have tried "shimming" to make the grove a tube.....but it would clog sometimes and also still had a few that would come down fast enough to pop out .
Old January 19, 2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Plated

ok for what its worth here is what I am using(mentioned in post above). Works well for me so far....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_011806_001.JPG (70.7 KB, 97 views)
Old January 19, 2006, 11:07 AM   #12
DAVID NANCARROW

FWIW, the primer catcher I received with my RC IV is kind of an inverted V looking plastic piece with two recepticles on the lower ends. It catches 99% of the primers.