The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 17, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
jmquinn05

1858 Remington

From what I have been reading the 1858 Remington seems to be a popular pistol. What about it makes it so well liked? Again I am new to b/p.
Old October 17, 2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Hawg

I think most people like it for the top strap. They think it makes it stronger than a Colt design. It really doesnt tho. Not with bp pressures anyway.
Old October 17, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

My thoughts

For one thing it is a pretty pistol. The top strap makes folks think of modern handguns. I am not a fan of brass frame revolvers for personal reasons but when you shine up that frame on a brass revolver it is a real attention getter.

It is easy to field strip and easy to clean.

Most of them do not have the Colt feature of shooting high at 25 yards. POA is close to POI in terms of elevation on a Remington clone.

One downside is that the grip and trigger guard can be uncomfortable for anyone with a larger that average hand. Another is that some of the imports are delivered with the barrel installed in such a way that the sight does not line up. Turned in too far and the pistol shoots right. Turned in not far enough and the pistol shoots left. It is an easy thing to spot. Not by looking at the sight but be looking at the flat of the barrel in comparison the to flat of the frame.
Old October 17, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Most of them do not have the Colt feature of shooting high at 25 yards. POA is close to POI in terms of elevation on a Remington clone.
The newer Piettas dont but the older ones had sights closer to the originals which did shoot high. Not sure about Uberti.
Old October 17, 2010, 05:55 PM   #5
zippy13

The R-1858 has nice lines, but the Colt 1960 is probably the most graceful looking revolver ever designed. One aspect of the Colt's design that many find cumbersome is the barrel wedge that keeps the open top revolvers together. IMHO, the Remington deign of restraining the center pin by the loading lever, and retaining it by a screw was a stroke of genius. With the Colt design, if you misplace the wedge, you're not a happy camper.
Old October 17, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
With the Colt design, if you misplace the wedge, you're not a happy camper.
The wedge screw is supposed to keep the wedge from completely coming out.
Old October 17, 2010, 06:13 PM   #7
jmquinn05

I agree the open top does look great, probably going to stick with mine for now. As far as performance are they pretty close?
Old October 17, 2010, 06:17 PM   #8
zippy13

Hawg,
I was thinking of misplacing the wedge while the revolver was dismounted, I didn't mean to suggest that the wedge would vanish on its own.
Old October 17, 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
mrappe

I ihave an 1860 Colt Army and a 1858 Remington
Both made by Pietta

My 2 cents:

1) The Remington is easier to shoot accurately because the sights are on the top frame and the front sight is taller. The Colt shoots hi. You have to adjust and it is harder to determine where the bullet will go.

2) IMO the Colt is a beauty and the the Remington is ugly.

3) The Colt is much more comfortable to hold and points more naturally in my hand. The Rem is heavier especially because of the octagon barrel it feels like it wants to tip downward in my hand.

4)The Remington is easier to change cylinders because of the way the cylinder pin works.

5) The Remington is stronger and can take more powder.

6) The remington has more of a tendency to bind up from residue after shooting a few cylinders full (but this can be avoided if you know what to do)

7) The Colt cna be capped with a capper easier because of the clearance around the nipple on the cylinder.

8) The Remington is less likely to have a spent cap fall into the works and jam it up.

9) Because of the fewer screws and the 2 piece grips the Remington is easer to fiels strip and clean.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
mrappe

Quote:
The newer Piettas dont but the older ones had sights closer to the originals which did shoot high. Not sure about Uberti.
My Pietta shoots very high. It was made in 1973
Old October 17, 2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
I was thinking of misplacing the wedge while the revolver was dismounted,
Yeah but even so it shouldn't come out with screw installed unless you really want it to.
Old October 18, 2010, 11:22 AM   #12
zippy13

Duhh… I just thought of another reason the R-1858 might be more popular:

In a recent posting, it was observed that R-1858 replicas were the only ones being produced in stainless steel. Obviously, the replica makers selected a popular model to render in stainless -- and, being available in stainless made the R-1858 more popular.

I'm not a hard-core traditionalist, if given the option, I've selected a stainless model over the blued steel version of the same, or similar gun. This applies to BP pieces and modern revolvers and pistols.
Old October 18, 2010, 01:25 PM   #13
wogpotter

You bring up an interesting point.
Blued = traditional, but S/S = "modern", considering I thought that bluing is a fairly modern finish weren't originals silvery colored rather than blued?
Old October 18, 2010, 04:12 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

I prefer my Winchester pistol . . . just something about that lever action and being able to crank a new round in with your pinky . . . OH .. . WAIT A MINUTE . . . Winchester didn make a pistol!

I've had a '60 Colt Army - a beautiful pistol and I regret trading it off years ago. I now shoot just "Navy" caliber - 36 cal. I recently "consolidated" my "family" and am now down to a Uberty '51 Navy (my favorite), a '61 Colt Navy, a "62 Colt Police and a '58 Remy. I love my Navy because of the looks - a personal preference. But . . . I also love the Remy - it shoots good, is easy to field strip as has been mentioned and I do like the rear sight groove on the top frame strap as opposed to the notch in the hammer on the Colts. I think it all boils down to a personal preference and what you find "attractive", what feels good in your hand and how it shoots. I truly do feel (personally) that the 1860 Colt Army is one of the sleekest, most attractive overall designs that was ever developed (as done in the '61 Colt Navy). Now a days, the prices of a 60 Army versus a 58 Remington are very close (depending on dealers, brands, etc. of course). In the originals, Remingtons were supplied to the government at about half the price of a Colt - thus making the Remy more "attractive" when it came to dollars and cents.If you are thinking about one over the other, shop around and see what you can find in "used" revolvers. If you are diligent, you can come up with something reasonable and perhaps be able to get one of each model and enjoy them both for what each has to offer. Have fun and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 18, 2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Gary Bongrazio

1858 remington

I have been using the 1858 Army and Navy for some time. Pietti and Uberti make the most repros of this old gun....The great thing about the 1858 Army is 1. The cyl. comes out so easy compared to other BP's...Also there are 2 types of cyl. conversions you can buy that drop right in just like the black powder cyl. except these cyl. hold actual .45 cowboy cartridges. Kirst Konversions will install an all out drop in cartridge cyl. for $60.00 plus ship. Now you have a gun that takes bullits just like the modern guns....they also sell the cyl. that you drop out to load cartridges...Also C&D is another co. that makes drop-ins....to get back to the gun, it is the easiest to clean, take apart and hold together. I have one I have been shooting for 20 yrs
Old October 18, 2010, 06:52 PM   #16
Riot Earp

I own a Euroarms Remington. It doesn't feel clubby in my small hand like the other two makers' Rems. But most men seem to want the larger frames. The Colts are more elegant -- though the Rem is quite streamlined -- but that wedge drove me nuts and so I sold my Colts.
Old October 19, 2010, 05:54 PM   #17
Delmar

I know most people seem to feel that the Colt is better looking but I disagree. I think my 1858 Peitta Is the prettiest gun I have ever seen. Also I have never had a problem with the caps jamming in my Remmie. I can't say that about my Uberti 1851.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:24 AM   #18
the Black Spot

i shot the '60 colt for 24 years, got my first rem this year. i would take the rem over the colt.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:57 AM   #19
Fiv3

I shoot a '58 Remington pretty much exclusively just because it is so easy to take apart. I'm a BP novice, but I am in love with the hobby. That said, the open top colts just look more elegant to me.

I think my next BP purchase is going to be a big bruising Colt Walker. My '58 is my practical gun. It loads easily, cleans up nice, is packable should I want to bring an old timey firearm along on a hike. The Walker...well, the Walker is a Walker. A fire-breathing stallion that was only taken down a notch with the advent of the .357 magnum.

I think it represents an important part of firearms history...and it's just gorgeous
Old October 30, 2010, 10:35 PM   #20
HisSoldier

The top strap definitely make for a stronger revolver, obviously no major maker followed Colts lead after the top strap became common, and for good reasons.

Looks are subjective, some feel as I do that the Colt doesn't look as good as the Remington. I like the look of good design, the Colt doesn't look like a well designed gun to me.

Others don't agree.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:58 AM   #21
kadima

I subscribe to item #9 of mrappe post.

Design of the 1858 is simpler than the Colt, less pieces and screws. I doubt a revolver could be designed with less parts...

K.
Old November 9, 2010, 06:18 AM   #22
Smokin_Gun

Get the Remington .44 1858 NMA

Best Rev for a First time buyer/shooter and also the best Rev out of the bunch. Less or Zero work out of the box or used.
A thing of beauty, highly accurate with out a lot of work on um or maintenance. Feel great to hold duelist or two hand stance. Hold bigger loads and much more robust than a Colt. Better site picture with out having too file a hammer site open more to see thru.
I think the 1860 Colts are the purdiest Revs out there and I have a few of them and like or love um, but i jus' love Rems a lil' more ;O)
Get a Remington you won't be sorry.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php