The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2009, 02:46 AM   #1
GLADIO

Pietta Colt 1860 .44: So, How Bad Are They?

Hi all.
I know, i shouldn't. i really should stick to The Original Plan and get myself a Remington 1858.
But as i watch the Colt 1860, the more it looks sexy to me.
So, after all the reading from you guys about mild steels, stuck wedges, broken springs, i ask you all:

Are Pietta's 1860 Army that bad? should i better choose an Uberti?
I don't want a wall hanger.. i'd love something to actually shoot. whitout cussing, possibly.

Is there any happy Pietta 1860 Army owner around? Come on, come out!

thanks for any info!
Old May 18, 2009, 03:34 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

Pietta are a reliable and accurate Revolver as is a Uberti with maybe a hair more finishing to them...so are Euroarms, Armi San Paolo, and Armi San Marco.
If your buying new you'll have as good a chance with one as another of being in A1 shape. So I'd say it's your choice of Mfg.

What I can't figger out is why you don't don't buy the Remington first and jus' go make smoke out of the box...then buy a Colt repro when you get the urge to buy a second one(and you will!)...........your first choice is usually the right one.
:O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 18, 2009, 05:35 AM   #3
mykeal

I have two 1860 Colt Army revolvers, one by Pietta and one by Euroarms. Both are fine guns without any of the spring, wedge and bolt problems you've read about here. I also have an 1858 Remington New Navy by Pietta; it's as well made as the others.

I believe the vast majority of Pietta's products are well done; all of the Italian replica manufacturers are capable of producing an occasional lemon.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:49 AM   #4
CaptainCrossman

GLADIO
Send a message via MSN to GLADIO
Pietta Colt 1860 .44: So, How Bad Are They?
Hi all.I know, i shouldn't. i really should stick to The Original Plan and get myself a Remington 1858.But as i watch the Colt 1860, the more it looks sexy to me.So, after all the reading from you guys about mild steels, stuck wedges, broken springs, i ask you all:Are Pietta's 1860 Army that bad? should i better choose an Uberti?I don't want a wall hanger.. i'd love something to actually shoot. whitout cussing, possibly.Is there any happy Pietta 1860 Army owner around? Come on, come out!thanks for any info!

If you get a Colt w/steel frame, it will last and shoot ok. Avoid the brass frames like the plague. The Rem is a much stronger gun though.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:00 AM   #5
GLADIO

uhm uhm uhm
Fact is, here, not either the price in the Pietta catalog helps me any way..
the stock 1858 and 1860 are priced EXACTLY the same!!! ( 233,00 Euros )
so i'm stuck with the "ol' plain 1858" or the more sexy ( but maybe harder to live with) 1860... with nothing to offset the balance...

i may need to get them both simoultaneously

i would LOVE to think that the spring and wedge think is just a minority report,
and i havent heard many positive threads just because.. people enjoy shooting 'em more than standing in front of a PC?
Old May 18, 2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Hawg

The Pietta 1860 is fine, just as good if not better than Uberti. Don't listen to anything Capt. C. says. It will take many years before you need to replace a Colt style wedge and if you do break a hand spring they're cheap.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:23 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
The Pietta 1860 is fine, just as good if not better than Uberti. Don't listen to anything Capt. C. says. It will take many years before you need to replace a Colt style wedge and if you do break a hand spring they're cheap.
+1

The open top Pietta's are just fine. There are revolvers that make it past quality control that should not, but most are just fine out of the box. You can knit pick small things on just about all of them, but nothing that makes them unserviceable. Buy the one you like, then buy more
Old May 18, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Quote:

+1

The open top Pietta's are just fine. There are revolvers that make it past quality control that should not, but most are just fine out of the box. You can knit pick small things on just about all of them, but nothing that makes them unserviceable. Buy the one you like, then buy more
MCB is right in saying HH is right about the Piettas. I've got a few of them (1860s and 1851s) that are great shooters. Following Pettifogger's tuning the Pietta revolver articles should make em pretty much bulletproof.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 18, 2009, 10:48 AM   #9
SamStafford

Me...I will get one of all.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Noz

Piettas

The Piettas I own are better than the Ubertis in every way except maybe finish. The big difference is that Pietta actually pay attention to the barrel/wedge/arbor relationship. The barrel fits properly down(bottoms out) on the arbor and the wedge holds it in place. I own 7 shootable 1860s and the match pair and the backup pair are all Piettas. I have a pair of Ubertis for sale.
My match pair have been shooting 3-5 cowboy matches a month for over 3 years. Replace nipples and hand/springs. Converted the match pair to the Pettifogger conversion (Ruger springs and plungers replaces hand springs) and have had 0 problems with them.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:13 PM   #11
GLADIO

Quote:
I own 7 shootable 1860s and the match pair and the backup pair are all Piettas. I have a pair of Ubertis for sale.
SEVEN
Old May 18, 2009, 05:44 PM   #12
long rider

HEY GLADIO, ist how much is 233,00 euros in our bucks?
i would have thought that you liveing in italy it should be
cheaper to buy bp smokers than it was for us? and do you have
lots of shops that sell bp pistols? its a long time since i have
been to italy, but a great place to go. thanks gladio.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:36 PM   #13
GLADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by long rider
HEY GLADIO, ist how much is 233,00 euros in our bucks?
i would have thought that you liveing in italy it should be
cheaper to buy bp smokers than it was for us?
http://www.google.it/search?q=233+eu...&oe=utf-8&aq=t it's about 300 US$.
But it doesn't tell us much,
since the US is a greatly larger market and prices will tend to be lower IMO.
Italy isn't that great of a market for any kind of firearm, so retail prices have to consider a higher markup for each sold item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long rider
and do you have
lots of shops that sell bp pistols? its a long time since i have
been to italy, but a great place to go. thanks gladio.
That's a weird thing.
A recent law passed, downscaling single shot BP firearms from "common firearms" to "limited capability weapons". it's BS, it basically associates them with crossbows and <7,5j compressed air rifles.
This makes them available for purchase free of any license,
you just take them, hang them to the wall and make them for a nice decorative item.

But black powder, still you need a firearms license to buy it
Six shooters are still considered "common firearms".
And yes, i know some fun shops in my area displaying BP guns. it's cool.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:04 PM   #14
12gaugesage

What irony, here in the US, we thirst for replicas of the classic American guns, BP ones have almost no buying restrictions but which no American companies can produce economically. In Italy they manage to reproduce these classic American guns economically, primarily for the US market and the Italians are more restricted from owning them and have to pay more for them.
This world makes no sense.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:58 PM   #15
mrappe

My 1860 Pietta is an old one. i am not sure when was made since I bought it used at a gun show about12 years ago. It was my first C&B gun and is still working fine. It may not be as smooth in the finish area as a Cimmaron or Colt but it dosn't look bad either.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:43 PM   #16
Mick244

1860 colt

I have a Uberti walker,1858 remmie 8" 1858 5 1/2 inch ,1851 colt and a 1860 colt 5 1/2 inch with a fluted stainless cylinder I love em all, but he 1860 is my favorite 25 gr 777 fffg .454 ball shes a tack driver, never use a lubed wad myself the .454 ball seals her good. Pre loaded with a lubed wad once and 3 days later got a squib first shot cleared it and the other rounds were poof poof poof but i shot em in the ground counting holes cause they all were bad and possible squibs A result of the powder absorbing the grease in the wads.I think chainfires are a result of loose caps some fall off if not pinched but thats my opinion...
Old April 22, 2011, 05:58 PM   #17
Shotput79

Wow

I kind of agree with mick only I tend to go with the 1858, and then the 1860. either one, once you start shooting them they are hard to put down. Sitting here looking at the both of them side by side its a hard call, really hope I never have to choose between the two If it happen I would have to go with the 1858 for my on reasons.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:33 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

Some great replies to you post . . . . I have had both Piettas and Uberti . . . loved 'em all. The only problem with the '60 Army is that if you get one, you'll be wanting another . . . and another . . . and another . . . . I'm primarily a '51 Navy person although I have a '61 Navy which is basically what you're talking about only the Navy is 36 cal. Every firearm - old or new - will have their little "quirks" - you just get used to them and then enjoy the heck out of 'em. Good luck whichever way you go . . . trust me . . . once you shoot a BP revolver . . . there WILL be more!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 23, 2011, 02:43 PM   #19
shafter

They are fine handguns!! They reek of history and feel real good in the hand. You won't be sorry.
Old April 23, 2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Foto Joe

Pietta or Uberti, either one can have issues. I've personally had more problems with Uberti's than Pietta but that's just me. I've got 1 '60 Pietta in a Sheriff Model and I wouldn't hesitate to get one with a standard length barrel. They're good guns.
Old October 12, 2011, 04:22 PM   #21
WRustyLane

Pietta 1860 Army SA .44 cal.

Yeah, I have a Pietta 1860 .44 SAA and I love to shoot it. I recently took all the bluing off so it would match my old western Uberti .45LC. I also got a sping kit for my Uberti and after I saw how the mainspring was altered, I did the same thing for my Pietta 1860 .44 SAA. You have to be carefull not to take too much out of the center or it won't pop cap.
Old October 16, 2011, 06:02 AM   #22
Bill Akins

I have three 1860 Piettas and one 1860 Armi San Marco. All of them are nickel plated over brass frames. Two of them I haven't fired yet and two I shoot a lot.

Sure the steel frames are stronger and you can use hotter loads in them, but if you stick to 22 to 25 grain loads in the brass frames you will never have any problems and they will last forever.

After much time and much shooting, I realize I actually prefer the balance, feel, long 8 inch barrel and look of my 1860's better than any other percussion revolver even though I also own an 1851 short barrel marshal and a short barrel 1858 Remy.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old October 16, 2011, 08:28 AM   #23
madcratebuilder

This thread is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going...

I think I like the feel of the .36 caliber 51's over the .44 Army, the 60 army looks sexier with the creeping loading lever. The nickle plated or fluted cylinder models the nicest looking IMO.

Old April 7, 2015, 10:04 AM   #24
Perldog007

My 1860 Pietta didn't make it into this pic....

So initially I wanted a ruger blackhawk .45 then decided I was going with standard loads and looked at replica 1873s', saw a conversion and was tempted an 1860ish sort by Uberti, then read up on BP ballistics and decided to go with bp after hours and hours of reading about different cleaning tricks, different loads, target range accounts, plinking videos, yada yada...

For what I was prepared to spend on a nice new/barely used .44 mag or .45 sa or if a deal had been found a super redhawk or raging bull .454 I have a pile of revolvers and leather for all of them.

So after I acquired two 1858 Piettas and one 1851 pietta I scored an 1860 Pietta on sale at the big C. Four holsters and one belt, lead, caps, powder, wrench, caps, powder measure/funnel all for about what one .44 mag would set me back.

What about power? Personally I'm going with a 30/30 and hopefully trading out my work scattergun for a single shot exposed hammer break open shotgun. Really want to find an old topper with a long snout, full choke, raised rib, and 3"chamber... but that's me.

Point being that the 1858 is to this enthusiast a must. The ONE to have and most of the time I'm not willing to tote more than one without a conveyance of some sort. At these prices the replicas allow a much broader economic strata access to collecting.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:31 AM   #25
Model12Win

They are superb.

I have an 1851 brass framed confederate navy in .44, with short barrel, and it's been very reliable with .454 round ball and 25 grains of FFFG. Remington #10 caps.

Tags
pietta uberti 1858 1860