The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 19, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1
308Gunner

S&W Knives

Hope this is the right place to post about this

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Smith & Wesson knives. I'm specifically looking at the First Response or Border Guard, but any thoughts on their quality would be welcome

— George Mason
Old April 19, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Pahoo

From time to time, I have owned a few and the ones I'm familiar with, were made in China. All have been liner-locks. I'm not familiar with your so could you provide a link. The quality seems to be okay and perform well enough. I mostly give them away as gifts. Finish is good !!

Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Smith & Wesson knives. I'm specifically looking at the First Response or Border Guard, but any thoughts on their quality would be welcome
I've looked at some of their offerings and while nice looking, I just wasn't convinced that they were as well made as some of the other knives out there. I guess it's really up to what you want, and expect from your knives.
Old April 20, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
308Gunner

Quote:
I've looked at some of their offerings and while nice looking, I just wasn't convinced that they were as well made as some of the other knives out there. I guess it's really up to what you want, and expect from your knives.
I just recently purchased a Buck Sandman, and love the knife, but bent the pocket clip, so looking for a stand-in/addition while getting it fixed. Unfortunately, more or less working on a budget at the moment, so as much as I would love to go grab a Benchmade or Gerber, it's just not in the cards right now

— George Mason
Old April 20, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5
precision_shooter

Never been too impressed with the S&W knives that I have looked at/played with...Like others, I'm not familiar with the ones you are specifically asking about.

I tend to stick with what I know is quality and has worked for me in the past. I usually buy Kershaw and Gerber with my preference leaning towards Kershaw...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 20, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
nathaniel

I got a S&W Cuttin' horse as a door prize from my works end of the season party. Its extremely light and extremely sharp! I have never had a factory knife so sharp. I have cut heavy duty bailing twine with it and it hasnt dulled yet. I have no idea how much it costs but if someone donated it for a door prize id assume it is fairly low priced.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
BarryLee

Personally I have never really been impressed with the S&W line, but that is a personal preference. Have you considered something like a Spyderco Endura or Delica? They are similar in price and IMHO much better knives.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 20, 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
JerryM

If one wants top quality you will not get it in S&W. However, I think if you needed a knife to cut rope or such, or even SD in an emergency the S&W would do the job.
I am far from an expert in knives, and especially SD type knives, but from what I have seen and friends' opinions, I believe Kershaw offers the best combination of quality and price.

I recently bought a Whirlwind for my son-in-law and a OSO Sweet for me. I like the Whirlwind better and it is made in USA.

With what I have seen in Kershaw knives, I cannot imagine what one could do to a knife to make it worth a couple hundred dollars. It certainly does not add up for me or my use. I suppose many just want to say that they have a such and such knife. That's OK if you just want to spend the money.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
NWdude83

I had a big homeland security tanto bowie, but never really used it.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:20 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

Smith and Wesson Tanto style First Responder; Border Guard...

I bought a brand new S&W tanto style knife from www.QMuniforms.com .
The S&W model had a seat belt cutter, a small glass punch & a black coated blade. It may have been the First Responder brand.
I honestly did not care for it. The retail price was $24.95 but the blade wasn't very sharp. It looked poorly designed/constructed. The S&W knife's fit & finish looked very unimpressive too. I'm not a big knife expert but I was not thrilled with the quality and sold the duty knife to a ex-coworker for $20.00.
I also saw a S&W Border Guard knife here; www.Policehq.com and it's looks better but I'd be leery of the Smith & Wesson knife line overall.
Other combat/duty knives from MoD/Blackhawk, CRKT, SOG, Cold Steel, Benchmade, Ernest Emerson, etc may cost more but last longer.

Clyde
www.Blackhawk.com www.Benchmade.com
Old May 4, 2011, 01:37 PM   #11
207Copper

S&W Knife

I have the gen 2 first responder. It is good in idea but I don't carry it since there is a lot of blade slop sided to side when locked and no apparent way to tighten it.
You get what you pay for...some times
Jason