The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 14, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
bustersmaster

NcStar rifle scope

Can anyone with first hand knowledge about NcStar scopes tell me their experience with one of these?
I understand they are inexpensive and you get what you pay for, etc. but I really would appreciate actual feedback from folks who have bought and used one of these.
I'm considering a combination of a tactical scope with a laser sight manufactured by NcStar for my Yugo SKS. The Chinese thing doesn't discourage me too much. I guess if it did, I would have to stop buying just about every consumer good that's available these days.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:11 AM   #2
NWdude83

I used to own one, it worked... Not sure how much longer/if its still working.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
chiefr

I have a Simmons scope mounted on a S&W custom performance center 500 Mag.
Like NCStar, the Simmons scope is made in China. Despite critics that don't understand why I have a $50 scope mounted on a $1400 handgun, this scope has held up after developing several hot hunting loads. The Simmons still holds zero and is still mounted to the gun. I have no intentions to replace it. Interstingly, I bought the scope because it was the only silver scope available at the time.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

I generally reserve the low-cost scopes to 22LR rifles. I have a NcStar on one of my 10/22's and it seems to work fine.
Old April 16, 2011, 12:03 AM   #5
NWdude83

Spend at least $150 on a riflescope. Unless its on sale/clearance... Just my 2cents.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:22 AM   #6
votto

I have one on my Rock River AR. The optics are a little dark. Like siting through sunglasses, but it does shoot well. I used it to pattern test different brands of ammo. I tested about 1100 rounds worth of different brands to find the ONE my rifle prefered. I found out that my RR will shoot ALMOST any 223/556 into 1 inch at 100 (accept Wolf and American Eagle); even Silver Bear, Brown Bear, and Partizan.

testing took place over 2 year period. the scope kept its zero when it was left on the rifle. I shot the rifle without the scope many times in that same time. Zero was always within 1 -2 inches when the scope was put back on. I dont like the dark optics but... it DOES shoot well and keeps its zero.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:32 AM   #7
4runnerman

i have a 10-40 x50 on my 223.Never have had a issue with it. Light gathering is great,holds a zero very,very well. I only target shoot so i can not speak as to the hunting side of it. I do shoot very early in morning to avoid the rush and have never had issue's seeing in very little light. Im a click counter and i can go from 200 yards out to 600 yards with a few clicks hit dead on and back clicks off and im right back to 200 yards again dead on. Clarity is good,not great,but for target shooting i don't need crystal clear images. They work very,very well for what i do. The end result is where the bullet lands,not how pretty the target looks in the scope. I would put this up against any other brand regardless of price IN THE ACURRACY FIELD. Im sure quality wise they fail in comparision to many,many others. It will shoot(from the bench) bullet hole for bullet hole with the best at any distance.
Old April 17, 2011, 03:45 PM   #8
bustersmaster

Thanks

I appreciate all the good responses. Based on actual users of these scopes, I think it would be worth a try. I couldn't find any online reviews of NcStar stuff, and I always try to get some input before making a purchase of something I'm unfamiliar with. I realize people's expectations and purchasing power are all different and "my mileage may vary".
Let's see, I have a birthday coming up, I'll have to drop some hints to my understanding wife.
Thanks again.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:54 AM   #9
PathfinderGuns

NcSTAR

We sell thousands of NcSTAR Scopes every year through our site at www.Pathfinderguns.com. We're one of the top NcSTAR online dealers. They are great scopes for general purpose shooting. We've seen about a 7% defective rate in them which isn't bad considering the price. They come with s lifetime warranty. If you have a problem NcSTAR will simply send you a brand new scope as replacement. Sure, there are better scopes out there, but if you have around $100 to spend on a scope I recommend NcSTAR.

We sell all the major brands of scopes and every single one of them has problems every now and then. We just took back a Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope that was defective out of the box. Of course Leupold took care of it immediately.

A lot of people posting in online forums like to bash on NcSTAR and other lower cost optics, but they're experience is limited to only one or two scopes and it's easy to tell everyone they should just buy a Trijicon and be done with it. Well, not everyone has that kind of money to put into a scope. But remember, these are not combat scopes. They're made for plinking and some light hunting.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:40 PM   #10
207Copper

Scope

I looked into the NCSTAR brand when I was scope shopping for my 308. I ended up saving a bit longer and got a Simmons 44 mag 4x12x44 mil-dot with target turrets from optics planet shipped to the door for $135.00 Holds up great.

Jason
Old May 4, 2011, 03:10 PM   #11
NWdude83

You gotta ask yourself, would it really kill you to spend an extra $50-$100?
Old May 4, 2011, 09:41 PM   #12
mikejonestkd

Save your money and buy a decent scope :

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1427672
Old May 5, 2011, 06:30 PM   #13
RedNeckWino

I have 2 NcStar scopes. Like them both. Both are 4-16x50 1 is P4 other is mil-dot. P4 is on my 7mm rem mag and mil-dot is on a custom build .308. Neither has any trouble reaching 500+ yards. Recoil has not harmed them or affected my zero for 2 years now, with many hundreds of shots with each. No they don't have the warranty of Leupold. But at the cost of Leupold.... buy another 10 and save your money.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:45 PM   #14
MrWesson

Quote:

You gotta ask yourself, Why spend the extra money...\

Imo hunters need/want great scopes.. otherwise cheapos get the job done.

I have had great luck with cheap scopes(own about 6).
Old May 5, 2011, 09:15 PM   #15
NWdude83

What do you consider cheap? My price range on optics is $150-$250 maybe $300, and even thats cheap to many people.

Last edited by NWdude83; May 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:21 AM   #16
MJN77

Quote:
In some cases...yes.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:55 PM   #17
NWdude83

Lol when would that be?